What's new

Have a spare Kenwood 6060 receiver, any 'easy on amps' speakers out there? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Have this receiver in a spare room and its not being utilized to its fullest right now due to having only some old KLH mini speakers connected to it. Eventually I would like to make this room an alternate HT room for kids/guest ect.. the amp is rated (Kenwood rating) to 100x6 but having 'real' amps in the main room I know that I would need some high sensitivity speakers that dont need alot of clean power. Can i find some speakers that are 8ohm and sensitive but also not harsh when pairing with Kenwood amps and circuits?

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 6060. Why do you think it's not a "real" amp and why do you believe you "need some high sensitivity speakers that don't need a lot of clean power?" What are you reading?

David

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Sound and Visions review of the Kenwood vr6070...

"In terms of sonic quality and power, there's no question that Kenwood's VR-6070 is a solid performer, just as promised by the THX Select logo on its panel. I liked the remote, and I loved its RF-control feature, even without a remote-room hookup. Nevertheless, the $600 price level is a tough territory where several other fine, high-performance A/V receivers have already staked claims. Whether the VR-6070's particular blend of features, power, and digital surround capabilities is what your home theater needs will be, as always, your call."

Rated power: 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms

Measured power, 1 channel driven: 121 watts into 8 ohms

These kenwood receivers can drive pretty much anything that a "real?" amp can drive... assuming you dont want to run a pair of B&W matrix speakers or anything in that catagory.. im pretty sure you will be alright..
Measured power, 6 channels driven: 92 watts per channel into 8 ohms

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have the 6060 in a bedroom system and it has plenty of power, going extremely loud w/ fairly ow sensitivity (86db/w/m) satelite speakers. Unfortunately I have a problem where it shuts down after 10 min or so when playing DTS tracks. It does it at every volume level. Anyone w/ a 6060 or 6070 have this problem? Mine is a refurb from ecost and i didn't find out about the problem until the 90 day warranty was over. It's not enough to merrit getting rid of the receiver, it's still a great unit.

Keir H

Second Unit
Sorry guys for the interpretation about the amp quality, I guess reading some reviews on audioreview cause me to be prejudgemental even before I had the chance of really letting it show what it can do in a small room. It seems to have alot of features so I figured they cut corners on the amp/power supply in order to compete with Sony, Denon, Yamaha ect. So, if the 6070 can deliver =/-90w with all channel driven then thats very encouraging for the 6060 be able to match up with a wider assortment of speakers I wouldn't have thought of beforehand. With that, what are you guys paring your Kenwoods with? I rather stick with non BB or CC brand speakers although Athena and Polk are not too bad at these stores. Do Kenwoods tend to be 'bright' or 'warm' in presentation? Want to spend around $200 for channel for now only. thanks again.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"I have the 6060 in a bedroom system and it has plenty of power, going extremely loud w/ fairly ow sensitivity (86db/w/m) satelite speakers. Unfortunately I have a problem where it shuts down after 10 min or so when playing DTS tracks. It does it at every volume level. Anyone w/ a 6060 or 6070 have this problem? Mine is a refurb from ecost and i didn't find out about the problem until the 90 day warranty was over. It's not enough to merrit getting rid of the receiver, it's still a great unit."

Mine was also a refurb from ecost and I had a shutdown problem initially. I had put the unit into the same space as the receiver it replaced. The Kenwood put out a lot more power than the previous unit and I wasn't giving it enough room to breathe. Once I repositioned the shelf and cut out a much larger opening in the back of the entertainment unit, the problem went away. I now listen to DTS all the time with no issues.

I read a post awhile ago from another user who traced his similiar problem to a faulty speaker connect but I don't remember the particulars.

David

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
What makes me think it's not a heat issue is that it does it even at very low volumes when playing DTS tracks but NEVER shuts down, even at high volumes, when playing Dolby Digital tracks.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Stephen,

I'm at work right now so I can't do a search but I'll try to find the thread that this was discussed on. It may take awhile as I don't remember which forum it was discussed on. If I find it, I'll post back in the morning.

David

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
you shouldnt have a problem driving just about anything you want. i'm running 3 double "new large advents" across the front, and 3 pairs of radio shack minimus 7s down the sides and across the back. everything is wired in parallel. thats about 3 ohms for each front set, and 4 for each pair of m-7s. the only problem is i had to off-load the sub power to outboard amps. the kenwood couldnt handle the cannon shots from master and commander. it would go into protect mode. now i have the kenwood running the surround back instead of the subs, and its fine. about 1.5 inches above the box for cooling in a flexi-rack. i figure if it can stand up to master and commander or lord of the rings for a few hours at a time, its OK!

ag.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how your getting your 6060/6070 to drive such low impedances, my 6060 shutdown constantly w/ 5 small 4ohm sattelite speakers but had NO problems driving the 8ohm sattelite speakers i'm using now.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I briefly had some 4 ohm Polk bookshelfs hooked up to my 6060 and could drive them to my heart's content.
I found that thread on the 6070 that I was looking for before I left the house this morning. It's archived at Ecoustics. I'll post the link when I get home. It's 14 pages long but most of it isn't all that helpful. I'll try to make a quick look to see if the problem with DTS is referenced before I post the URL.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks