Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to decide on the right DLP....pls help! (long)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Sean_Paul

Sean_Paul

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 08:28 AM

Okay, at least I've gotten so far as to narrow down my prospective television to a DLP. This decision was based on many of the Pro/Con's of Plasma/LCD/DLP/CRT's listed in a recent thread. So my question becomes: which DLP is the most recommended for the 46 to 50 or 52" range? I'll be sitting about 8.5 feet away and this seems like the best range of screen sizes, 16:9 ratio.

The models under consideration right now are:
Samsung HLP4663W
Samsung HLP5063W
Samsung HLP5085W
Toshiba 46HM84
RCA Scenium HD44LDW165 (is this even out yet?)
Mitsubishi (has some 50 or 52" model, not sure)

I've tried scouring the forums for comparisions but it doesn't seem like there is a large amount of evidence to help me pick one over the other. I like the look of the Samsung models; my wife just flat-out supports Toshiba's entire television line. So, please help out with your advice and opinions. Obviously, there are some price differences with the above models (the Sammy 4663 is about $2k right now, while the 5085 is about $3k) but I'm less concerned about that than I am just making the best decision based on quality of picture, repair history, etc. I watch plenty of DVD's and will be getting an HD receiver (satellite and local broadcast) at some point, so HD-ready is probably fine.

Thanks all,
SeanPosted Image

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   andrew lewis

andrew lewis

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 08:40 AM

I really only have experience with the Samsung line of DLP', so hopefully someone can chime in w/ their input on the other manufacturers.

Comparing the 63 series to the 85 series isn't fair. The 85 has a ridiculously better picture, finer line definition, and the colors are outstanding. As for the build, I wish it came w/o the pedistal. If the 85 came in the same basic style as the 63, but kept it's black color and style, I would like it so much more. The pedistal poses a problem when it comes to other furniture and components. The wrap around rack from Samsung ($400) holds limited components, but hides wires very well.

If the RCA is a new model, I have no clue how it looks. I know last years model was a PILE. As a retailer, I have never been able to sell one, not that anyone has ever shown interest in it's washed out piture in the first place.

Overall longevity on DLP's has improved in the past few years. I know Samsung had problems w/ color wheels on it's first couple generations. I haven't seen many if any problems w/ the 3rd generation (63) or the 4th (85). Obviously the 85 has a better picture, but it costs about $700 more. I guess we would still be comparing apples to oranges here. Just remember whatever you have at your home will look good.Posted Image
YES I will sell you on a Hitachi, and YES I will sell you the warranty as well.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 09:10 AM

Definitely stay away from the x63 Samsung series. It uses a new high tech version of interlacing where one mirror is used to create two pixels. Its a smooth picture but it has been questioned if the series can fully resolve a 1280x720 test pattern.

I would go with the Mitsu 725 line (not the 525 line due to the glary screen).

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 09:23 AM

the mitsu and rca scenium are both nice sets in my experience, and have had no customer complaints on either

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Sean_Paul

Sean_Paul

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 02:01 AM

Craig W, do you have any links/articles regarding the Sammy x63 series and how well it "resolves a 1280x720 test pattern"? This unit uses the TI HD2+ DLP chip - I thought this was improved over the 1st and 2nd (HD2) versions? I'm still learning about screen resolutions and HD - 1280x720 is what my progressive scan DVD player is upconverting to, right? This is known as 720p?

I appreciate the feedback from you guys, but it is a little frustrating to have conflicting reports on the Samsung models. Does anyone out there have feedback on Toshiba DLP? Please help if you can.
Thanks all!

SeanPosted Image

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   andrew lewis

andrew lewis

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 06:41 AM

I wanted to add in, that if you aren't 100% stuck on the DLP, you should take a look at Hitachi's vs810 series of LCD Projection tv's. I compare the vs810 to the 85w samsungs on a daily basis, and I have to say, the Hitachi is a better looking set.
YES I will sell you on a Hitachi, and YES I will sell you the warranty as well.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Craig W

Craig W

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 09:08 AM

This unit uses the TI HD2+ DLP chip

It does not use the HD2+ chip. It uses the HD3 chip which is the cost reduction version of the DLP chip. Basically HD2/HD2+ have one mirror to one pixel relationship. The HD3 has a one mirror to two pixels relationship. I believe the number of mirrors on the chip is 640*720 though with their interlacing algorithm they claim they can do 1280x720.

The higher end samsung lines (x85 series and the rarer x73 series) use the HD2+ chip. I believe all the Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and the new Panasonic DLP lines use the HD2+.

Myself I would rather have a one mirror to one pixel relationship. Don't believe the salesmen. I have met too many where I know a hell of a lot more about what they are trying to sell me. They don't like those kind of customers because it makes them feel less in control.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron_TVA

Aaron_TVA

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 10:30 AM

Hey Guys, Just wanted to let you know that we have some of the RCA HD50LPW165 in stock over here at TV Authority. It uses the HD3 chip but it has been selling pretty well and it looks great. If you want some more info, please check out our site. We have special Home Theater Forum pricing for you! Just get in contact with me to find out more. This is slightly less expensive than the Samsung 63 series in the same size so it is a very good deal! And just to let you know we have just a couple of the Samsung HLP5674W's left. These have been very tightly allocated.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron_TVA

Aaron_TVA

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 17 2004 - 10:32 AM

You can reach me at 1.888.286.5353 x 521. Also aaron@tvauthority.com Thanks!