-

Photo
- - - - -

My Mac (OSX) vs. Microsoft Outlook mail server. :(

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 05:55 AM

My company just moved our POP mail server to an Outlook server and I am having issues with my Mac mail.

First off, I REFUSE to install Outlook on my Mac. The company gave me another choice - "Entourage", but that too is Microsoft. Posted Image

Is there ANYTHING Mac "friendly" that will work with our Outlook server and be safe to install without the "Microsoft" hastles???

#2 of 3 Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted December 15 2004 - 11:39 PM

Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 is available in a MacOS X flavour. It's a very nice mail client.

http://www.mozilla.o...cts/thunderbird

Outlook POP3 should work like any other POP3 server, though... re-check your login settings?

Of course, if you start using Thunderbird, you'd be much better off running IMAP4 instead of POP3, and keep all your mail on the server where it belongs and can be backed up etc by your admin staff. That way, you don't lose mail if your workstation goes south, etc.

Always assuming your company allows IMAP4 (although I fail to see why they wouldn't since it is the superior choice.)

Now, if you're talking about a full blown Exchange client (ie, Calendaring, to-do lists, possibly shared, as well as mail) then Thunderbird won't do. Your choices probably remain Outlook or Entourage (but I'm really not that familiar with Exchange clients for Mac.)
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#3 of 3 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 01:29 AM

Yeah, I have a POP3 account working, but I need something like Outlook that will at least view my contacts and calendars, etc.
Quote:
keep all your mail on the server where it belongs
That's what I'm doing with my current POP3 mail app, but I want to switch that to something else.
Quote:
assuming your company allows IMAP4
I'm not sure what that is.

Forum Nav Content I Follow