What's new

Help clear things up before I take the plunge. (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to take the plunge and get an hdtv monitor. i just want to be sure of a couple of things.
topic1: Antennas
I live in a condo and I do not believe I can mount anything outside. If I get an indoor antena on top of my tv will I be able to receive OTA( I think this means over the air)HD programming from CBS and other networks. the antenna would plug into a set top box and then the box into the TV right?
Topic 2 Burn in
Can watching nonanamorphic dvds and playing videogames cause burn in? Will I have to stretch them like i would regular cable to prevent burn in.
topic 3 speakers
is it bad put a center channel on top of your HDTV?
thanks in advance for any help! I fell more comfortable asking you guys these questions then any jackass from Best Buy.

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Topic 1) How close do you live to the Transmitting Towers? A TV top antenna may work if you are close. You may be able to install a ChannelMaster Stealth somewhere in the Condo that might work better. You just have to experiment with different antennas, antenna location & possible pre-amp. Yes RG6 from the antenna to the HD STB.
Topic 2) You just need to vary your viewing habits.
Topic 3) I have a Klipsch Center Channel Speaker on top of my 47" Panny and don't have a problem. I guess different models of speakers and TVs my not work.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
To add to his comments. If you have any kind of a UHF antenna lying around, try it out. The old ones were circular, but they are round, except for some of the newer models. Try it out and see if you can get any regular UHF channels now. If they are easy to get, then you shouldn't have any problem.
As for the games, if the brightness if turned down, there would be a smaller chance of burn in, but I hope you get a reply from a game freak on that.
There are two issues with the speaker. First of all, it has to fit without falling over. If the top of your TV is narrow, rigs can be built to keep them there. The other problem is that the speaker would have to be shielded so it won't interfere with the screen. I hope this helps.
Glenn

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is a magnetic problem putting center channel speakers on RPTV's. I believe this only affects direct view sets where the center channel speaker magnet interacts with the picture tube directly beneth it. That is why any decent center channel speaker will be shielded sufficiently to prevent harmful magnetic leakage. To test this out, go to a store and see if you can place a regular (non shielded speaker) maybe a surround speaker or mini monitor on a RPTV. The speaker does not even have to be hooked up to anything. You should be able to tell right away if the magnet is affecting the picture. I've done this myself (with direct view sets) and the magnetic distortion was immediately evident.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Arthur, thanks for the clarification on the speaker. I guess it is only a 'mounting' problem, if any at all.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks