-

Photo
- - - - -

Blockbuster to end late fees in 2005 (Merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 05:45 AM

Read about Blockbuster doing away with late fees here.

Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough, but how will this help Blockbuster and more importantly, will it mean anything to the DVD format?

Mods, feel free to move if this is in the wrong spot.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#2 of 45 OFFLINE   ElAhrai

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 05:47 AM

Odds are they are planning on a B&M version of a Netflix service. Any one with an account can check out a certain number of titles for as long as they want for a flat fee. But they won't be able to check out anything else until they return the initial titles.

#3 of 45 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 05:55 AM

They already do that with the Movie Pass, which is what I use, and they might get more money out of it since I know a few who don't take full advantage of it and only keep out 2 movie during the monthly period, therefore paying $24 to rent 2 movies!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#4 of 45 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 06:49 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6711543/

Wow.

#5 of 45 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 06:55 AM

Great news!

#6 of 45 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:04 AM

Read the article carefully.

The good news: you get an extra week grace period.
The bad news: After that point you get to buy the movie whether you want to or not. If you return it within 30 days they refund the purchase price but charge you a "restocking fee".

So, there are no more "late fees" just "restocking fees". And if you don't get the movie back in a month you just bought it.

It doesn't look that different from what they have now - but at least we get the extra week.
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#7 of 45 OFFLINE   ElAhrai

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:06 AM

Ahhh, that clears things up considerably.

#8 of 45 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,861 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
It doesn't look that different from what they have now - but at least we get the extra week.

I think it's the beginning of the end of the traditional rental system that we'd had for 20+ years now.

#9 of 45 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:24 AM

Quote:
I think it's the beginning of the end of the traditional rental system that we'd had for 20+ years now.

I hope so. But, it looks more like giving the same old system a new name. "Restocking" instead of "Late".

They can call it a "grace period" - all they've really done is extend the rental period from 1 day to 8 days and from 7 days to 14 days. (Not that I don't appreciate that - I do.)

The real difference is that at the end of the rental period they now hit you with a "restocking" fee IF you return the movie. (If you call that a difference)
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#10 of 45 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:38 AM

All I can say is, IT'S ABOUT FRIKEN TIME!

I don't know how many movies I've returned unwatched because something came up and I didn't get to it, but didn't wanna get slapped with a fee. I know it's not BB's fault, but it's nice to see a buisness that is thinking about the customer. Even if it is for selfish reasons.

#11 of 45 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,511 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 14 2004 - 08:07 AM

Well it's obvious to me.

About a month ago I called Blockbuster to complain about getting hit with some late fees. I maintained I had returned the videos on time. Turns out I had returned them on the right date...but not before Noon (which Bb requires).

I don't rent often and when I do its usually at a Hollywood Video which has the same five day policy...except a return time of Midnight.

So, I told the guy that I was done with Blockbuster because of this (this was the second time this had happened to me--but only the first time I had bothered to inquire about it) and that while I realized it was my mistake for not knowing the rules, I didn't like their policy of returning titles by noon and that if he wanted to let his boss or corporate people know about it, he could.

So, apparently he did...and Blockbuster has now decided to bow to my every wish and whim.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#12 of 45 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 853 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 08:21 AM

Quote:
The bad news: After that point you get to buy the movie whether you want to or not. If you return it within 30 days they refund the purchase price but charge you a "restocking fee".

So now when they screw up and mistakenly charge me a fee for not returning a movie, it will be a charge of $24.99. Not sure I like that.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#13 of 45 OFFLINE   RichardK

RichardK

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:22 AM

Blockbuster article

I'm surprised at this move. I don't know how many new customers they are going to get out of this, but the amount of ultra easy revenue they get from their exorbant late fees will not be matched.

#14 of 45 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:49 AM

Before bumping, I'm just three threads below this one. We have the exact same thread title as well. Posted Image

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=219943

#15 of 45 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:52 AM

Get Netflix you heathens!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 of 45 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 10:08 AM

Renters who keep the movies or games beyond the grace period will be charged for purchasing the DVD or tape at Blockbuster's full retail price, minus the rental fee, the company said. If they return the movie or game in the next 30 days, they will get a refund for the purchase but will be charged a restocking fee of $1.25, the company said.

There are a couple of downsides to the new policy. Blockbuster is going to waste too much time issuing refunds which will create long lines and unless there is a grace period of at least a few days between charging the Blockbuster account $100 for being a day late returning four DVDs and taking that money out of credit/debit accounts they are going to aggravate lots of customers. Reducing the late fee to $1.25 per day and charging the customer msrp if the title isn't returned within a week would probably work better.

#17 of 45 OFFLINE   Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 10:21 AM

Agreed, my local blockbuster has had that issue with shelving titles that have been returned without scanning them in. There's a hold on my account for that!

I hate Blockbuster because I can't prove I turn the movies in on time (due to the fact that I DID return on the movies way back in March of this year when they were due!). I guess i'm screwed now and will be buying two movies they STILL have!

#18 of 45 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 10:48 AM

And you're likely paying their inflated selling price or actual MSRP on the title if you get stuck with it...

Quote:
Agreed, my local blockbuster has had that issue with shelving titles that have been returned without scanning them in.

And who's going to pay for that mistake when it shows up on your file??
I don't like SPAM!

#19 of 45 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 11:42 AM

That's lame, charging the price of the DVD if you don't bring it in on time...and then you have to get a refund.

With how tight my budget runs, I can just imagine the overdraft or overlimit charge.

The other msnbc article says that there will be a one week grace period, but still.
No thanks.

Of course, it sounds like you could rent the game, and then hang onto it for almost 30 days, and then return it. 30 day rental for $4, whoo hoo! That's gonna be abused.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#20 of 45 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 01:17 PM

I think they're banking on people who forget they even have the movies or lose them.

It's fine with me, though.. I usually return my movies the next day.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow