What's new

all-metal server rack for audio components (1 Viewer)

Alan Hall

Auditioning
Does anyone see an issue with using a server rack for audio components? Being that it is all steel, will noise or static be an issue?

Thanks!

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hey Alan,

Seeing as I work in television as an audio operator, I have about three racks of audio gear behind me where I sit at my console and it's all solid steel. As well, our racks room is comprised of both server racks and traditional audio racks by Middle Atlantic. Both types of rack house audio, video and computer gear - not to mention an array of power and lighting gear. Just make sure it's secured tightly, on solid ground and isolated. As well, make sure your rack is at least 20" wide to accomodate most audio components.

Others might have different opinions.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andrew Stoakley

Alan Hall

Auditioning
Okay. Thanks!! I work in the IT field and I see a rack with my name written all over it. I was going to do an in wall setup but I can't beat free. $$$

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Very true.. very true.
Just make sure the rack is solid and is isolated. I'm assuming the rack is going on carpet?

Cheers

Alan Hall

Auditioning
It will be going on carpet. My only concern is the grounding. Should I not worry about that? Also, do you know of an inexpensive place to buy cable? I'm not big on $400.00 cables. Reason being, my dad spent 2000.00 on cables(Monster) and there was no difference between that and cheap Acoustic Research cables. I am looking for something in between.

Thanks!

Alan

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Shouldn't be a problem. Just ground yourself before you touch any gear in the back that's hot. Other than that, you should be fine. You can always put the stand on isolation pads, but, I've never had any issues with static at the racks at work.

As for cables, I own some AR cables in my collection and they seem to work just fine. I can't hear the difference between my Monster Cable and the AR... not to mention all the speaker wire I have. Heck, most of the cable that is used in our profession television studio is standard green wire two pair!!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

HowY

Grip
Grounding:

As an IT guy as well I urge you to ground the
rack so that the ground should terminate at
the SAME ROD that your power grounds too.

I can go on and on about "isolated" grounds
but the cold hard (real) fact is that unless
the power grounds gather at a single point
a ground loop WILL occour (with cpu equip)
and its a safe bet the same will happen with
audio. < expensive "isolated" lesson learned >

just patch into one of the bare copper wires
that's feeding your system...

(or white for that matter they both bus together)

but definately ground the rack especially ifin it's
on a carpeted floor.....

Alan Hall

Auditioning
Thanks all!

I looked last night and found a place to ground it. Now I've got to carry 250 lbs. up to the third floor.

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks