Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

I, Robot a must rent at least

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 of 80 OFFLINE   Dave_H

Dave_H

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 03:41 PM

I rented this today (US r-1) just to check it out. Didn't even get to see the box. I was pleased to see it included a DTS track.

I can't stand Will Smith, but this movie isn't too bad actually. It's possible I liked the movie because I went into it with extremely low expectations.

Guys you have to check this DVD out, the video is pretty good and the DTS track is certainly bangin'. It's one of those DVD's where no matter how bad the movie might be, it's still fun to test out on your HT.

#2 of 80 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 06:35 PM

Sorry, but I don't consider a movie described as "isn't too bad" to be a must-rent. I have plenty of reference material on hand to test out my system without having to sit through a mediocre CGI-fest.

It's disappointing, because I'm a big Alex Proyas fan.

#3 of 80 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,293 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 09:41 PM

It is disappointing because I am a big Asimov fan. I still wait for that I, Robot movie to be made.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#4 of 80 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 13 2004 - 10:44 PM

At the HTF Meet in September, Fox showed us this dvd and most of the group enjoyed the film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 80 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 03:48 AM

If you're an Isaac Asimov fan, this movie is a "must miss." Surely, he must be turning over in his grave.

SMK

#6 of 80 OFFLINE   Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 04:27 AM

I agree, a "must miss". It is such an insult to his books. They could have just made it without reference to the Asimov Robot books instead of co-opting the name and not bothering to be true to the concept.

#7 of 80 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 04:57 AM

Put Asimov aside for a moment - it's a must-miss because it's bad. Bad bad. I went in with low expectations and it didn't even meet those.

#8 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 14 2004 - 05:05 AM

I didn't think it was that bad at all, for what it was. I mean, it's no classic, but it's certainly worth a rental.

As with the SF Channel's remake of Battlestar Galactica, I think they turned off a lot of people by slapping a famous title on material that had very little to do with the original source. Change the title, and nobody would really have a problem with it.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 80 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 05:13 AM

I didn't read the books or care the least bit about how faithful the movie was to them so I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#10 of 80 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 05:58 AM

As long as it provides a little eye and ear candy, I can do with a bad movie every once in awhile, besides I gotta hear Smith's "Oh HELL no!" I may be mistaken, but I don't think that line was in the book.Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#11 of 80 OFFLINE   Andy Patrizio

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 06:12 AM

Definitely rent. Did you see the 2-disc SEs in Europe and Japan? There's a doosy of a double dip on the horizon. And if there isn't, we should be mad.

#12 of 80 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Did you see the 2-disc SEs in Europe and Japan?

And once AGAIN, the US gets screwed out of SEs of movies made HERE in the first place! Like that cool Alien head thing for the Japanese release of the Alien set, the Box for the Hellraiser movies, and more than I can remember. Hell, I even want the 3-D version of the shitty Amityville 3-D that's available overseas.Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#13 of 80 OFFLINE   Josh L

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 07:31 AM

A definite must buy for me...

My brother is in the credits!!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 of 80 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
It is disappointing because I am a big Asimov fan. I still wait for that I, Robot movie to be made.

Posted Image Yeah, the one with the Harlan Ellison script? Posted Image

Quote:
As with the SF Channel's remake of Battlestar Galactica, I think they turned off a lot of people by slapping a famous title on material that had very little to do with the original source. Change the title, and nobody would really have a problem with it.

Posted Image Yeah...a popcorn movie about robots turning on their creators...harmless 90 minutes of fun.

Under an Asimov name... since Asimov detested with a passion the 'science turns on the creator and destroys them' schtick (kind of like how Tolkien detested allegory)....Posted Image

Here's to hoping the other Asimov movies in the work turn out better. Where's the Caves of Steel already??
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#15 of 80 OFFLINE   Anthony Connor

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 08:31 AM

I saw this on the weekend (R4). I rented it and thought it was good.

I will be adding it to my collection for sure. Posted Image
Not only do I not know the answer, I do not even know what the question is.

#16 of 80 OFFLINE   Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:01 AM

Having never read the book I must say it was a very exciting DVD. It also had a great soundtrack.

#17 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:46 AM

The book is actually a collection of short stories, IIRC. But Asimov also wrote a number of novels that take place in the same milieu.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#18 of 80 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 09:58 AM

It's been awhile since I've read any of those stories...

... but I still liked the movie. Pure popcorn flick. I picked it up today... hopefully I'll actually have time to watch it soon.

-Scott

#19 of 80 OFFLINE   Lars_J

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted December 14 2004 - 10:44 AM

I greatly enjoyed the film... Much better than I expected.
- Lars

#20 of 80 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted December 14 2004 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
There's a doosy of a double dip on the horizon. And if there isn't, we should be mad.

Even if there is, we should be mad. It is very manipulative to try to get people to double dip by releasing a berebones edition without announcing the better edition they know is coming.

This would have been a buy for me, but I'll wait until Fox decides to give the US a 2-disc special edition as well. Get more money from me by making better movies and better DVDs, not by trying to manipulate me to buy the same movie twice. Posted Image

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow