What's new

So is Dual Disc making a splash or sinking? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I am yet to see any DD out around here in my parts, I would buy if there was a particular disc I wanted but looking at what releases I have heard of nothing quite works for me as of yet.

Wes

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I got the Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any Dual Disc, it's for my dad, but I ripped it to my computer, the regular cd side won't even work on the living room cd/dvd player, I have to put it in on the DVD side and play the album that way. Not a big deal to me, but my dad doesn't want to be bothered.
I'm not the biggest fan of it, I think they should probably keep the Dvd audio and such seperate. I know it's supposed to make it cool because you can put the music video's on the DVD side, but it's just a pain, I use iTunes for my music videos anyway. iTunes plays has music video's then MTV does in a month.
I dunno I'd have to have another DD to try but it didn't work once before when they tried it, I don't know what the difference will be now other than a marketing gimick. Oh well. This is just one person's thoughts.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
DualDisc/DVD-A face the same basic problem as SACD - only a small selection of titles/genres are released because companies see a limited market, yet there's a limited market because of the shallow selection offered to consumers.

For DualDisc, add in compatibility issues with some players due the the thickness of the discs and a lack of real high resolution DVD-A or PCM audio on some titles, and it doesn't look promising. I'd say the new delivery system is shaping up to be a big fat "so-what".

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The first DualDisc I bought was The Donnas' "Gold Medal." The CD side was defective on the entire run of 50,000 copies (the last two minutes of the last song were cut off).

Atlantic Records acknowledged the defect and basically said "Tough luck, we're not correcting it."

With that kind of label support, I'm not optimistic.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They haven't exactly been pushing them- I've only seen a couple in stores, not like there's a large display saying "DUALDISC IS HERE!!!!!!"
It seems like a neat idea, but they haven't put out anything I really want to buy, and the prices still seem high compared to a regular music DVD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm in Boston, which was one of the early test markets. I have over 100 SACDs, 30-some-odd DVD-As, and a handful of DADs. And I don't have a single Dual-Disc. They fail to meet book specifications, and I'm not risking my expensive-for-me equipment to play them.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dual-y Disco can't be doing all that well. First of all I don't have one and I've hardly ever seen a format I didn't like and I don't like it. Since Dual-y Disc doesn't have it's own players, is it even a format? ...I don't think so. The hardware manufacturers must dislike it as much as I do...? Their actions suggest so...zee war-r-r-r-nings.

I wish the bleeding equipment folks were pushing what the format was gonna be rather than the content providers, seemingly, then there's Sony the doublemint twin. In my thinking, content providers should just supply that, not an electronic manifesto demanding this and that, and 17 flavours of in-cript-tion, plus anna log's outputs. They better find the new world, the digitized vun!

Dual-y Disc, hmnnn, Dual-y disc kind'a makes ya wonder what the next spin will bring in the game of format roulette? The triple-track release, you get a Mminidisc, a DVD, and Cee Dee, all in one. It's a triple sided disc and totally revolutionary.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
So far there's been no promotion of DualDisc where I live. Compared to the test run, where they had promotion up the ying/yang (including nice kiosks at the front of the stores) I can't say I'm suprised no one has a DualDisc.

That, and there's only a handful of titles out. Maybe they're waiting for something... but they better hurry, because record stores are headed to extinction quick, if something doesn't draw people back in.

I'd have bought the new U2 as a DualDisc OR as an SACD. But I couldn't buy either one!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The titles so far have been very lackluster and I don't see any magazine ads or other real marketing. To get this off the ground they needed to make a statement with retailers as well.

They have not done that yet so I'm not optimistic. They have also not gotten the audiophile community on board which I think is important.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
A second effort to sell DualDiscs... or at the very least a second wave of distribution of DualDiscs ...is due Jan 28th.

From Bowienet.net:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The only place around here where I've seen the things is Tower Records.

Separate CD-Audio/DVD-Video releases of related material, and bundled CD-Audio/DVD-Video packages, both seem to be more common in places where I shop.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Going nowhere fast. :) In the latest Hi Fi News (UK rag), they say that the introduction of DualDisc has been halted in Europe due to some patent issues with a dude who invented the DVDPlus format, which is also a flipper. There are 90 DVDPlus discs out, that have sold over 3 million copies since 2001.

They also mentioned all the hardware problems the discs can pose, and that a lot of manufacturers have issued warnings about them.

And I think the latest S&V here said something about a lot of hardware makers expressing concern about them. That kind of surprised me, because remember when the cracking Crest Floyd DSOTM SACDs came out and we heard absolutely nothing from any print magazine about it? I got the distinct impression that the mags were staying away from the story to, a) give the format a chance, or, b) not to piss Sony off.

In this case, no such avoidance to broadcast the bad news is occurring for DualDisc.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Perhaps due to the fact that the cracking issue was a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw as in the case of DualDisc.

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
I can be the sole voice of (tempered) optimism. I have a couple of DD's (Diana Krall's "The Girl In The Other Room;" NIN's "Downward Spiral;" and Keane's "Hopes & Fears"), and all of them have been fine. Both sides play on all of my players, including my car CD player, and the quality has been comparable to the DVD-A's I've purchased. I continue to be concerned about the lack of any information about sample rates, etc...on DD packaging, but seem to have lucked out with these three titles.

That said, they're not the easiest things to find. Two local music stores here carry them, and tend to toss them in with DVD-A's or CD's, so you have to look for them. I've been very unimpressed with the lack of promotion and sparse availability, and hardly think they're going to replace anything any time soon, but warnings and Y2K-type doomsday predictions aside, I've been happy with them.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Well it wasn't actually halted per se, they never got to release the format in Europe because of that conflicting patent.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The title of the article actually did use the word "halted". :) They had some meeting set up in Nov or something to formally introduce the format to the European public, but then the meeting was "scrapped" (they also used that word too) when the patent issues came to light.

The dude Dieter Dirks (or something) said that if the US record companies started selling DualDiscs in Europe, he'd sue them all. I actually thought that was kind of funny. How in the world could they develop a format, a) with no hardware manufacturers on board, and, b) without looking at the patent issues ahead of time? Shoot, the European Union is potentially a larger market than the U.S.!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
The US Music Industry as a whole knew about the German patent as Warner Music had entered into a contract with Dierks to produce the discs 5 years ago under a different name (DVD Plus). Warner reneged when they got the backing of Sony/BMG and the other succubi.

What they are saying is that since there are no patents in the US they are going ahead and marketing the format.

US Industry sings a different tune ;) when people in other countries break patents registered in the US which are not applicable outside the US.

see:
http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Articl...reshold0.phtml

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Exactly. These are some of the same companies crying to the US government about the "billions of dollars" they're losing annually to overseas music piracy and IP theft. "Do as I say, not as I do." :thumbsdown:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only reason I even knew about it was 1)this site and 2) I went into a store and found ONE and only one. I'll stick with normal DVD-A and SACD. I'm not interested in taking a 50% chance that the disc might not work in one or all of my players.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I guess when I saw the word "halted" I imagined shipments being halted, not the concept being halted. It is too dramatic a word IMO, but then again that's what headlines are for.

In any case, Europe didn't get DualDisc.

On one hand, the decision to skip Europe was good, because chances are people would have tried to import DualDiscs from Europe and been confused when they wouldn't play (because they'd be in European PAL format video).

But on the other hand, I expect many bands' video materials are in archives in the UK, not the US, so the lack of DualDisc in Europe wouldn't exactly motivate the UK offices to go digging for great video from the archives.

All in all I can't believe they didn't pay off the DVD Plus guy, and didn't pay off the various manufacturers. They clearly forgot to grease somebody's wallet (or some similar expression).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks