Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quantum Leap Season Two - Music Replaced!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
400 replies to this topic

#1 of 401 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 06:15 AM

http://p073.ezboard.....picID=59.topic

From the Al's Place Messageboard.

They haven't replaced all the original music, but most of it.

Posted Image

I've managed to cancel my preorder and Season One is going up on eBay.

#2 of 401 OFFLINE   Jarrod Hines

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 07:39 AM

Wow--they removed "Georgia on My Mind" from M.I.A. Glad I didn't preorder this one.

#3 of 401 OFFLINE   MaraKM

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 08:37 AM

Wow indeed.

You know, I was willing to cut Universal some slack on the high SRP for the QL (and Northern Exposure 1 & 2) season sets because I thought they were trying to compensate for the high music clearance costs over the course of the series.

But no. They replaced music, and didn't bother admitting it. And cheaped out on the bonus features. I'm glad I didn't preorder too. But I was really looking forward to re-experiencing the entire series, and am extremely sad that I'm not going to get the chance to do so.

#4 of 401 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 08:43 AM

I hope the TVShowsOnDVD.com guys read this so they can put up a news item to warn people.

#5 of 401 OFFLINE   Curtis F

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 08:44 AM

I can't believe this!!! I was really looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Now, I'm going to have to think about it for a while. This kind of thing really disappoints me. I can live without the bonus features, after all they are "bonus" features, but to remove THE song from Quantum Leap is completely wrong. "Georgia On My Mind" is easily the most important song on the show. Much like the removal of "Knights in White Satin" from Wiseguy, this is a disgrace to the show and to the fans. The execs at Universal should hang their heads in shame.

By the way, this does not bode well for Miami Vice, which is my Holy Grail in terms of TV on DVD. If they change the music on that show, they will lose my business for sure.

#6 of 401 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 08:47 AM

I can understand certain music replacements because the cost can get astronomical, but when the music is so important to the story like it was in "M.I.A." they should bite the bullet and pass the cost off to us.

It is a shame too because after the expensive first season for only eight episodes and now this, I think it could kill the series dead on DVD.

Paul

#7 of 401 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 13 2004 - 09:09 AM

I'd be hard-pressed to buy it with music replaced anyway, but the absence of Georgia has saved me $33 bucks that I will instead spend on Christmas gifts.

#8 of 401 OFFLINE   Esten

Esten

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 09:25 AM

Considering "Georgia" shows up in the
Final scene of the series finale
, I'd say that song is VERY important to the show. It's so emotional in context.

Damn shame it didn't make it into the set.

Here's hoping it'll AT LEAST be included in the season 5 set.

#9 of 401 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 10:47 AM

Quantum Leap was one of my favourite shows during the early 90s but thanks to these alterations I'll have to give the DVDs a missPosted Image
It's a pity, but I suppose I have my memories...

#10 of 401 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
It is a shame too because after the expensive first season for only eight episodes and now this, I think it could kill the series dead on DVD.

How about Northern Exposure fans who have coughed up $40+ for two seasons of 8 and 7 episodes only to find the music has been replaced? This doesn't bode well.

#11 of 401 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I was ready to go pick this up tomorrow at Circuit City for $34.99. Looks like Season 1 will be the only one I'll own. Unless Universal gets their act together for Seasons 3-5.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#12 of 401 OFFLINE   Stephane

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 12:12 PM

Well I was just organising my have to have in my wish list of the Profiler. Looks like I will go and delete this from my selctions. I cannot believe that they would do this to the show. My question to you all is this,

If the music played on the orignal air dates for the shows, why would it not be on the DVD. I know about the rights to songs, but would it not be just a small portion of the profits made from the DVD sales to cover that expense?

Why ruin it for everyone that knew the series?

Nope, Season 1 is the only one that I will have in my DVD collection as well unless there are revised editions that come out. And I do not think that this will happen.

#13 of 401 OFFLINE   Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 01:04 PM

I don't think I can describe just how disappointed I am, but I don't think I have to, since I'm sure many of you feel exactly the same way.

#14 of 401 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 13 2004 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
If the music played on the orignal air dates for the shows, why would it not be on the DVD. I know about the rights to songs, but would it not be just a small portion of the profits made from the DVD sales to cover that expense?

That's the problem. Just one song that needs to be re-licensed can cost a studio a huge percentage of their potential revenue - and that's IF the show sells well on DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 401 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 13 2004 - 02:58 PM

I understand the problem, but it's a total deal-breaker. Even if they fix the subsequent seasons, I won't be there. I won't own everything but the second season.

#16 of 401 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 13 2004 - 03:19 PM

This is very disappointing.

#17 of 401 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 05:40 PM

If you guys are that big fans of the show I'm sure you have them all on tape so just transfer your tapes to DVD. This way you will have it the way it aired. Shouldn't be a problem as everyone I know has taped the shows they really liked for many years now.

#18 of 401 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 13 2004 - 06:18 PM

I don't have tapes, but even if I did, I'd rather have the show properly on DVD than low-res cable recorded onto lower res VHS.

#19 of 401 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 13 2004 - 06:38 PM

Wishes he had $1,000,000 to spend on securing the rights to Georgia on My Mind for Season 2.

That's probably what they asked.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#20 of 401 OFFLINE   Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted December 13 2004 - 07:24 PM

No sale Universal

Time to sell Season 1

Forum Nav Content I Follow