What's new

Bose System sound good??? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Did I actually write that??? Never thought those words would be spoken....the Audio God must be benevolent!

It all started when my "Brother-in-law" called me and informed me that a class action lawsuit was settled from eons past (don't ask) and the cash was falling like manna from heaven. He had set aside $15,000.00 to go towards a HT system and he wanted my help in choosing the components and subsequent setup. Do to room size, general ergonomics and the all important WAF factor we settled on the following:

>Hitachi 70" LCD TV (70VS810 ULTRAVISION CINEFORM)
>Outlaw Audio 950 A/V Preamp
>Outlaw Audio 770 amp (7 X 200W)
>Denon 3910 Universal DVD Player
>Definitive Technology Mythos One towers(L,R, LR,RR)
Mythos 3 for front/back center
>SVS PB12-Plus/2 subwoofer
>Dish Network's Dish Player DVR 921
>Outlaw Audio interconnect Cables/knukonceptz 10GA speaker cable

Not shabby...and after everything was setup and calibrated...it sounded as good or better than my main system which cost considerably more!
He asked me if I wanted his old system...and I said why not...free stuff.
I recently moved from Dallas to Atlanta and bought a house with a basement. My wife informed me that ALL my home theater stuff was going in the basement...which meant that I needed a small intermediate system to go upstairs while the basement was being dry-walled. To ease my withdrawal symptoms from lack of HomeTheater/Audio...I hurriedly hooked up the generous "free" system which comprised:

>Kenwood VR-8070
>Pioneer DV-578A combi/player
>Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system (YIKES!!!!!)
>SVS 25-31PC Plus
> Home Depot 12GA Carol Cable and RAT/SHAK interconnect (double YIKES!!!!!!)

After hours of repositioning the Bose bass module (vary easy to localize because it produces quasi/Bass frequencies well above 80hz), checking phase, dialing in the SVS and calibrating with AVIA...I popped in Michael Camilo (Telarc SACD) and was prepared to throw up. What I experienced instead was a pleasant sonic experience. The stupid Bose cubes did a fair job producing the subtle nuances of the piano...and the lower end was complimented by the synergy between the Bose bass module/SVS 25/31. Just finished watching the "Chronicles of Riddick" and it sounded...better than adequate...it sounded GOOD! Here is a funny side note...99% of my neighbors are not HT junkies and don't know the difference between Dolby Digital and Stereo...but they do know Bose...and the first thing they notice are the Bose speakers...the power of marketing. Thank God that the "auditory Sense" has the shortest duration of memory and without a direct comparison to a more "robust" system...I am enjoying the Bose system .....go figure? (after reading my post I feel like I have gone to an AA meeting) :b

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You still out there Mike? I have wondered many times what happened to you. Figured you just said the heck with it all and decided to fold up shop talk. You owe me a few mails I'll have you know.;)

>>>(after reading my post I feel like I have gone to an AA meeting):b

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"(after reading my post I feel like I have gone to an AA meeting) "

Great line, Mike.

I've listened to a lotta Bose systems over the years and the word that comes to mind is "pleasant." Bose dosen't care what sounds good. They want a sound that dosen't annoy the casual listener and they've succeeded.
Very good speaker companies get attacked in some of the forums for use of a certain tweeter or speaker arrangement. That kinda crap will never happen to Bose. Not a bad strategy.

David

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

Sorry for being incognito for sooooo long...I am not handling the Airline situation well and my recent "forced" move to Atlanta...Think DELTA.

But I am back and thought the Bose post would be a fun read.
I do apologize for not joining in on the discourse!

I used to be part of the crowd that bashed Bose...and there still is alot of things I don't like about the system. But what is the most remarkable..is what I do like about it! It's comfortable....where my other system is remarkable...but finicky (does that make sense?).
I just ordered an SVS PC-Ultra. I wonder if I will be able to hear a difference? I'll let you know! I'll even let Bob-A know how it compares to my recently "upgraded" HSU VTF-3's. Boy...can I rock the boat....

Hi Steve!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I'll even let Bob-A know how it compares to my recently "upgraded" HSU VTF-3's. Boy...can I rock the boat....
__________________________________________________ _____

Mike could I get you to clarify a little for me? I guess it was a year or so ago that you were trying out the PB12-Plus/2 or maybe it was the 25-31PC+? You had the dual VTF-3's at the time and was contemplating which way to go. When you say recently upgraded. I think you might be refereing to the Bose Acoustimass running with the 25-31PC+ speaking a little off the cuff?

>>>I just ordered an SVS PC-Ultra. I wonder if I will be able to hear a difference? I'll let you know! I'll even let Bob-A know how it compares to my recently "upgraded" HSU VTF-3's. Boy...can I rock the boat....

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
You went with the PB12-Ultra/2over the PC-Ultra? I was thinking along those lines myself...but for $300.00 more you could get (2) PC-Ultras and have native tuning down to 20hz. I keep hanging up on this...maybe not a big deal. I sold my PB12-Plus/2 to my Brother-in Law.The upgrade I was refering to was the new Bash amps for the VTF-3's...which I still have. I did try out the 25-31PC+...but installed that in a friends house in DC. I have time to pull my order on the PC-Ultra...and go for the PB12-Ultra/2. What do you recommend? ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have time to pull my order on the PC-Ultra...and go for the PB12-Ultra/2. What do you recommend?
__________________________________________________ __

Well thats what I did anyway Mike. You might like the 25Hz native tune of the PB12-Ultra/2 better for music? It digs down to 20 very well and you can always plug a port for movies if you like. There both incredible options so it boils down to what suits you best. You could get both as 2 different listening options? The "Tim Allen approach":) As far as getting the most for your $$> I think we both know that other options would warrant more consideration.

>>>You went with the PB12-Plus/2over the PC-Ultra?

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
ooops..I typed too fast!

I like the "one" box approach. If I buy just one PC-Ultra now, I may not get a second one down the road...probably should just pull the trigger on the PB12-Ultra/2. Did it exceed your expectations? The PB12-Ultra/2 may actually have more output/headroom from 25hz and above over dual PC Ultra's...that would be way over the top...however! Feel free to Email me so as not to create a debate on the topic:
solomon57@aol :D

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
so bose are not bad speakers to get? i'm kinda worried because my hubby likes bose but people on here say they are not speakers that would complement a home theater.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"so bose are not bad speakers to get?"

If music reproduction is at all important, then yes, don't waste money on Bose. If hiding the speakers is VERY important, then Bose deserves some consideration.

"i'm kinda worried because my hubby likes bose but people on here say they are not speakers that would complement a home theater."

What are hubby's criteria?

David

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
we watch a LOT of movies and he wants crisp sound. like the movies where you can hear toenails on the floor when someone is tip toeing across the floor at night. or you can actually hear a pin drop. but price is more important than performance. like he is NOT getting a 100k system. 20k max and i would prefer to spend 10-15k but would rather stay on the 10k side of things. the thing is he doesnt know he is getting this stuff. b-day present. oh, that budget includes the projector. and he drools over the infocus 4805.

cabreau

Second Unit
Shanice...10-15k on your hubbies home theater system for a B-Day present? Where were YOU when I was single?!?!?!?!? :)

If I had 15k to spend on a HT system, I'd probably end up with a Harman Kardon AVR-7300, Paradigm Studio 100's, CC-570, and 4 ADP-470's, a nice SVS sub, and a Panasonic AE-700 projector or Sony VPL-HS51. If it was doable, I'd opt for the Paradigm Signature Series instead...if the budget allowed.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
If hiding the speakers is VERY important, then Bose deserves some consideration.

Really isn't true, for example, I send plenty of 'Bose wanters' home with systems like:
http://www.definitivetech.com/louds...ocinema_60.html
OR
http://www.mksound.com/Kseries1.htm
What would you rather have

I don't understand what you wrote as having anything to do with what I wrote. I didn't recommend buying Bose. If you like the looks of the definitive tech or MKsound speakers better, that's fine but it dosen't mean that Bose are not a small, easily hidden speaker. So how it "really isn't true" escapes me.

David

FeisalK

Screenwriter
for that kind of $ (and taking hiding speakers into consideration) i'd do MMGWs all round + MMC + nice sub, with an Anthem pre+ multichannel power amp; for video, you'll need a regular flatscreen LCD to watch TV on and a nice screen (Stewart?) for the Infocus projector.

the white PB10 would go nicely with the MMGs i think

let's see
3pr x MMGW @ 299/pr
1 x MMC @ 229
1 x SVS PB10-ISD @ 429

whaddya guys think?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
David:

Sorry if that came across wrong. In my experience selling the stuff, people seem to think blose is the ONLY speaker that is small - but that is not the case.

Thats what I was trying to say.

*Group hug*

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
What I took from what he was saying was even if you want some small speakers just so that you can hide them, there are better sounding speakers available that will still accomplish that "hidden" goal.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Note that Mike Sloan got his Bose speakers for the right price: free. Shanice, if you're looking for value, Bose definitely isn't it. They are way overpriced for the sound you get. You can basically get better, cleaner sound for half the price of a Bose system.

You'll find much better systems for less money discussed on this forum.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks