-

Photo
- - - - -

Best Speakers I Never Heard: Snell Type B

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted December 10 2004 - 02:40 PM

Very few of these were ever made. Take a look. On the left, second pic from the bottom, and in the top picture as well.

http://www.arduman.c...ues/jacques.htm

Yes, they come to a point at each side. They use a very well executed d'Appolito mid/tweeter/mid assembly for very precise imaging (note the heavy felt around the MTM) but also use a rear mounted tweeter to add spaciousness. There is also a subwoofer mounted on one of the rear quarters.

The tested in-room frequency response was quite flat from about 20Hz to 15K, with next to no floor bounce cancellation. Most speaker testers don't even mention floor bounce.

Stereophile didn't like them, that was the kiss of death.

I don't know what I would do if I found a pair of them. They weigh 125 pounds and are quite tall. Because they are so heavy, awkward and tall, it would take antiques quality movers to get them delivered and set up.

Please don't post about $150,000 exotics, I know there are some wonderful ones out there, none of which I have ever heard, (though I did hear a pair of $40,000 Wilson Maxx's and was not thrilled).

I would be surprised if even 1 of the 50,000 members of this forum even knows anyone who owns these speakers.

These Snells were just common sense out of range, not the price of a house.

Artie

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 11:45 AM

That only leaves 49,950 members of this forum who don't even know anyone who owns a pair of these......

Artie

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   mgod

mgod

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 05:41 PM

I have two friends who each own a pair, because they really enjoyed mine, which are the original prototypes. And which I've now decided to sell, after more than 20 years. Amazing, that.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Matthew Reid

Matthew Reid

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 08 2012 - 10:00 PM

I own a pair....bought them for....well I won't say the price but didn't realize what I had until just now (after doing some research). I've never given them the amount of power they can take but I do know they put out serious quality!