What's new

M*A*S*H episode edited (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Just as I feared......according to a review on dvdtalk.com the Season Seven episode "Our Finest Hour" is the two-part syndicated verison of the original one-hour program...a menu text indicates that the original elements were in too poor a shape to include....the running time of both episodes combined is now 45:00.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad someone started a thread about season 7.

I'm not pissed that the show is edited, I like how I have a choice to watch it either in 2 parts or as one...but...

Someone didn't do a very good job on this release anyway. Season 7 has some of the most interesting chapter stops I've ever seen, but the problem is that in some cases if not in all cases the second chapter does not start right after the theme ends it can be a whole scene later. I think this was a problem on another season but I don't recall which one.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Hold on! We treat "restore" as if it's the ultimate solution. The artifacts could have been so damaged they have fallen into disrepair. What are we suppose to do? Take it to ILM? When Hallmark was airing unedited episodes, was the one hour special edited? Yes, I think so... either that, or they just crammed the 30 minutes with commercials to make it look unedited.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Depending upon the extent of damage, it can be done. It had better be completely disintegrated before I settle for an edited copy.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Maybe we should investigate this a little further. I'd hate to jump to conclusions, as I would give FOX the benefit of the doubt of them placing an edited version of an episode of M*A*S*H on the DVD when they have the unedited version available.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Perhaps, but it's still troubling.

If the uncut master does not exist at all, I would begrudgingly accept it edited.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
For those of you that own Season 7 and have watched "Our Finest Hour" - I think this is easily the worst looking transfer of any M*A*S*H epsiode on DVD. It really looks awful. If the "original elements' were too badly damaged to include the uncut episode I'm glad they didn't try to salvage it given how poorly the sydicated version looks.

The good thing is "Our Finest Hour" is really just a clip show, recapping moments from the first 6 seasons of M*A*S*H, so even though the flashbacks are conducted via a series of interviews for "Movie Time News" (which, the interviews - all in B&W, look pretty good compared to the flashback clips and title/credit text). While it's a decent episode, it's not essential.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I agree, I would be more upset if this were a different episode...but the fact that:
A. Its a clip show
B. The laugh track is present
makes this something that doesn't really bother me that much.

Regular episode, I'm more upset. Glorified clip show that plays the laugh track no matter what...not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks