What's new

DPL vs Shiva dilemma (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I ordered and received my Shiva tube kit from Creative sound in Vancouver today but I received a DPL12 in the box instead of the Shiva.

I know people would say "look, you just got a better sub for less money" , well I'm not worried about that, I'm more worried about how this will sound in the same enclosure with the same port length ETC ETC...

Could somebody do a quick model for me please(no EQ)?? I'm worried about not getting the "kick in the ass" feeling I want with the lower Xmax!

Thanks
Brent

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
A ported box is tuned to a specific frequency, not to a specific driver.

The DPL-12 has better low-end than a Shiva. Don't sweat it.

However if you wanted "kick-in-the-ass" performance, you should have chosen a MUCH bigger box and MUCH higher excursion driver to begin with ..............

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It's also 3 DBs less efficient and has 3 mill less excursion. It makes 2 channel power amp looks like a wimpy 62.5WPC amp!!

Like I said I want to get "kicked in the ass", and I'm afraid I'll need to get more amp power. If I thought that, I would have bought something else!

I understand that it may be better in the low end but I wonder how it models to that exact tube/port length.

Brent

"However if you wanted "kick-in-the-ass" performance, you should have chosen a MUCH bigger box and MUCH higher excursion driver to begin with" If this compares to a Paradigm PW2200 I'll be very happy!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
After a little bit more reading I've also found that the DPL12 also has a fair bit of sag when oriented horizontally.

Around 6.5% from what i've read, which is considered unacceptable for a sub in a downfiring location(so I've read).

Brent

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Brent,

Rated efficiency is meaningless for subwoofers. The box dominates the efficiency of the system down deep. And that 1.5mm difference in one way linear excursion amounts to around 0.4-0.5 dB SPL difference (not an audible or noticable difference).

HOWEVER, the DPL12 will play lower, and will also have less power compression (larger voice coil). And it's suspension is a bit more linear and extended throw as well (larger diameter spider).

They work fine down-firing. We've used them that way hundreds of times.

Overall, I'd say you got a free upgrade to a better, beefier driver.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

brentl

Senior HTF Member
OK Dan thanks for your help.

Looks like I'll keep it, hey the rest of it is built already.

This package is truly a great deal made even better by the (possibly accidental) upgrade.

If I come in to some extra bucks I may get some more amp power for this, do you know the max power handling in this configuration?

Brent
Running a dedicated 125 watts to each VC right now!

michael.e

Grip
With a low tuning,you wont require the drivers full RMS rating to reach excursion limit.Probably a hundred watts or two hundred,but youl want headroom so that your amplifier doesnt clip.

Dont know tuning nor box volume so cant comment on specifics in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks