Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DPL vs Shiva dilemma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 08 2004 - 11:25 AM

I ordered and received my Shiva tube kit from Creative sound in Vancouver today but I received a DPL12 in the box instead of the Shiva.

I know people would say "look, you just got a better sub for less money" , well I'm not worried about that, I'm more worried about how this will sound in the same enclosure with the same port length ETC ETC...

Could somebody do a quick model for me please(no EQ)?? I'm worried about not getting the "kick in the ass" feeling I want with the lower Xmax!

Thanks
Brent

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted December 08 2004 - 11:59 AM

A ported box is tuned to a specific frequency, not to a specific driver.

The DPL-12 has better low-end than a Shiva. Don't sweat it.

However if you wanted "kick-in-the-ass" performance, you should have chosen a MUCH bigger box and MUCH higher excursion driver to begin with ..............

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 08 2004 - 12:15 PM

It's also 3 DBs less efficient and has 3 mill less excursion. It makes 2 channel power amp looks like a wimpy 62.5WPC amp!!

Like I said I want to get "kicked in the ass", and I'm afraid I'll need to get more amp power. If I thought that, I would have bought something else!

I understand that it may be better in the low end but I wonder how it models to that exact tube/port length.

Brent

"However if you wanted "kick-in-the-ass" performance, you should have chosen a MUCH bigger box and MUCH higher excursion driver to begin with" If this compares to a Paradigm PW2200 I'll be very happy!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 09 2004 - 03:42 AM

After a little bit more reading I've also found that the DPL12 also has a fair bit of sag when oriented horizontally.

Around 6.5% from what i've read, which is considered unacceptable for a sub in a downfiring location(so I've read).

Brent

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   DanWiggins

DanWiggins

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted December 09 2004 - 07:25 AM

Brent,

Rated efficiency is meaningless for subwoofers. The box dominates the efficiency of the system down deep. And that 1.5mm difference in one way linear excursion amounts to around 0.4-0.5 dB SPL difference (not an audible or noticable difference).

HOWEVER, the DPL12 will play lower, and will also have less power compression (larger voice coil). And it's suspension is a bit more linear and extended throw as well (larger diameter spider).

They work fine down-firing. We've used them that way hundreds of times.

Overall, I'd say you got a free upgrade to a better, beefier driver.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 09 2004 - 10:50 AM

OK Dan thanks for your help.

Looks like I'll keep it, hey the rest of it is built already.

This package is truly a great deal made even better by the (possibly accidental) upgrade.

If I come in to some extra bucks I may get some more amp power for this, do you know the max power handling in this configuration?

Brent
Running a dedicated 125 watts to each VC right now!

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   michael.e

michael.e

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted December 09 2004 - 04:46 PM

With a low tuning,you wont require the drivers full RMS rating to reach excursion limit.Probably a hundred watts or two hundred,but youl want headroom so that your amplifier doesnt clip.

Dont know tuning nor box volume so cant comment on specifics in this case.