What's new

Any reason to switch from a Marantz SR7000 to a SR7400? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone.

I just bought a Marantz SR7000 from ebay to power my B&W 601s (upgraded from an old Onkyo TX-DS575x). I wanted to get a Rotel RSX-1056, but money changed, so I had to go with something under $700. I listened to a Marantz SR7000 with my speakers and found them to sound really close to the Rotel I wanted. $1300 vs $300... so I went with the Marantz SR7000.

Absolutely happy with the sound, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the newer SR7400 because of the following reasons:

7.1 Surround & Heat - I only have fronts and center right now, and I don't intend on going 7.1 surround. But I also here that these 7.1 receivers from Marantz heat up quite a bit. My audio rack is enclosed with glass, so I'm thinking this will cause a problem. Comments?

192/24 vs 96/24 - I don't have a SACD or DVD-A player, so does it even matter to me? I do want movies in DTS, but does that apply? I do plan on buying a Pioneer Elite DV-45A (which does do SACD and DVD-A, but that won't happen for another year), but for now, should I be concern with 192/24?

Bass Management / Frequency Crossover - This is the one thing that I definitely don't like about the SR7000. Right now, my whole frequency range is being handled by my B&W 601s. That's fine, but I'm getting my sub this March (birthday) and the SR7000 only has a crossover of 100Hz. I don't want to have my 601s only handling from 100Hz up. I would prefer to have it down in a lower range like 70-80Hz. The newer SR7400 has the option for a 80Hz crossover frequency, so that sounds like something I'd want with a sub. For those with the Marantz receiver before the SR7400, any way around this (.. aside from wiring to the sub and then out to the speakers)?

Thank you in advance for all the responses.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded from sr7000 to rotel rsx1056.That sr7000 was a great receiver for me.Sometimes regret selling it instead of utilizing it somewhere else.I was also contemplating to upgrade the 7000 to the 7400 but opted for the rotel.Liked all the features as well as the sound especially with B&W,even though marantz also are good match with B&W.If your only looking at features then maybe get the 7400.But if you want lots more save up and get the rotel.Thats what i did,i found the rotel to be a significant upgrade to justify the cost.Besides i got the rotel at a discount and it wasn't too much over the 7400.By the way the you can use the sr7000 for dvd-a and sacd.

I'm sorry Ricky, but you really went off topic here, and kinda confused me. I already bought a Marantz SR7000. I WANTED the Rotel, but my money situation changed, and I no longer had $1300 to play with. The most I was able to use was $700. I could've bought a new SR7400, but I just happened to have the chance at buying a SR7000 for only $300. So I bought it. And now I'm wondering how much of a difference does the SR7400 have that the SR7000 does? Plus, how much of those differences really matter or apply to me?

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
How much of a difference will depend on your likes and dislikes.The 7400 has more features and the crossover.Sound wise i beleive they are very compatible.Since you already have the 7000 would you be able to return it and get your money back and go and get the 7400.Paying 700.00 for the 7400 if its new is a good price.If you cant get your money back i dont think you'll be too unhappy.I was able to get the rotel for 1100.Most dealers will give you a discount.As fas as the heat issue i dont think that involved all the 7400's i beleive it was a certain batch.Besides any electronic component inside a enclosed compartment will get some sort of heat without ventilation.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
From what you describe, you will not get any benefit in going to the 7400 over the 7000. 192/24 seems to be a marketing thing, since most DVD-A and SACD players pass analogue only. Only the highest-end players and receivers work together with the high bitrate digital signal. And CD is only 44.1/16...

The 7400 does have the newer surround modes such as DPL-II and ES/EX, but it doesn't sound like you need that. My advice would be to enjoy the 7000 for a couple of years, then upgrade when I-Link and HDMI become more common.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks