Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REIVEW: Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary SE - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 of 176 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 06:07 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 176 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,961 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 07 2004 - 06:20 AM

David: Posted Image Wow! I'm at a loss of words due to your abundance of words.

I cannot wait to get my copy and let you know what I see/hear.

I am concerned about the AR questions....and disappointed by your comments on the audio. But, I will reserve the right to form my own opinion.

In the meantime, I will hold on to my Gold Collection release!

*EDIT* David: Just re-read your review. The thought and committment you put into that effort was obvious. Congratulations on a job well done. When I said originally that I was at a loss of words, I wasn't kidding. That is one of the most comprehensive and thoughtful reviews of a film I've read here at the HTF...and on a film that's important to me as well. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 176 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 07:08 AM

Excellent review of a magnificent film. Though I will not part with my current disc, this one is mine on release day!! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this. Posted Image
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#4 of 176 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 07:23 AM

While I would have appreciated a more in-depth review of the disc, you still did a good job, David. Posted Image

Seriously, though, I appreciate the frank discussion of some of the more controversial aspects of the disc. Regardless, I'm excited about this release and I'll definitely be standing in line at Best Buy next Tuesday to get my copy.

#5 of 176 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 07:36 AM

WOW. Now that's what I call a DVD review. Thank you, David, for such hard work. You're an indispensable asset to HTF, and the best reviewer of Disney DVDs around.

#6 of 176 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 07:42 AM

David, Thanks for another well researched review. I'm in awe of the analysis of the soundtracks. I also liked your definitions of the 1 to 5 scale for picture quality. I thought about posting something like that a while back, but didn't think anyone would care. The definition I had in mind for the "5" point would be "imagine a Superbit without edge enhancement". Again, an amazing review. -Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#7 of 176 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,695 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 07 2004 - 07:50 AM

Whoa! Epic review David, that has to be the longest and most detailed DVD review I've seen on the HTF to date, excellent work.Posted Image
I'll definitely be ordering this classic fantasy, just in time for Xmas.Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#8 of 176 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,526 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 08:11 AM

I think this is the first review I've seen here that actually took longer to read than the movie runs! It's obvious that you are VERY passionate about this film and DVD and makes we even more anxious to see it! Great job!

#9 of 176 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 08:18 AM

There have been several award winning or award nominated mixes that have been redone to vile effect. Top three in awfulness- 1. Camelot - Even though the original stereo mix exists, Warners redid this from scratch, even though the original mixer from 1968 told them theydid not have enough correct materials to do it. It has things missing that should be there. things that are there that shouldn't be there and at least three songs where the vocals are not in sync with the orchestra !! 2. Ben Hur - remixed from scratch - the orchestra is missing its originaldepth tracks, the appearance of the Star of Bethlehme is now longer properly accompanied by the chorus - they are faded in a few notes too late and the chorus no longer sounds like it is coming from heaven - they are on top of you. If you don't believe it - listen to the french audio track which is not a remix but is the original frnench track from 1959 and you can hear a clear difference. 3, Vertigo - an abomination violating Hitchcocks intentions at evey turn possible.

#10 of 176 OFFLINE   BBbrowd

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 09:10 AM

DaViD on the sound quality of the new enhanced mix: "Not at all attractive to my way of thinking". Posted Image

Very interesting review, but the highlight of it has got to be your entertaining and in-depth review of the sound options. Wow. Even though the sound of the default 5.1 mix leaves much to be desired, I'd say that it's a real hoot to hear about all these newly added sound effects. I couldn't help but laugh hearing you describe the bass level. I've heard a *part* of it on a preview trailer and the bass level from that one portion alone practically knocked some books off of one of my shelves!! And yes, the highs were non existent. Posted Image

Someone told me that they even added a sound to when she "sticks" her umbrella into the cloud at the beginning! I can't imagine the film makers intended to have that be a sound effect. As Jefferson said, "Clouds don't make sounds".

I'm a little disappointed to hear that the flesh tones are once again too brown. They were not pink enough on the last DVD and it sounds like it has not been fully corrected this time around either. I'm also a little bummed to hear that they put background around the still images!! Give me a break. I want to see the photograph, not some design around them! The still galleries were one of the things I was looking forward to the most.

Well, I'm still very much looking forward to the new Poppins experience. It's been needing to get special treatment for a long while now. It's one of the greatest films of all time and my personal favorite.
Chris

#11 of 176 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 09:16 AM

I think I'll pass for now....and watch my Gold Collection version.

#12 of 176 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 09:27 AM

I'll buy it for the extra features, and hang on to GC disc.

#13 of 176 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 09:47 AM

Agreed.

Scott, unless you're watching your DVDs on a B&W 19" TV, the new disc will look MUCH better than the GC version. And all those extras? HELLO! Worth the purchase *alone*.

Both DVDs *together* still cost less that my archive edition laserdisc...

BTW, I'll update when I figure it out...but I've heard a rumor that there is a Japanese "NTSC" Mary Poppins DVD that is 16x9 and supposedly has the best picture/sound to date of any format...including this one. Haven't seen it myself, but if I can get a hold of a copy and confirm, I'll post my findings here...

-dave

p.s. even if there *is* a Japanese DVD that has practically perfect picture and sound...it wouldn't stop me from buying this R1 DVD on the basis of the bonus material alone...and you know me...I'm a feature-film oriented guy (but I don't judge anyone based on orientation Posted Image)
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#14 of 176 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,710 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 09:50 AM

I couldn't agree more. The best family film I have ever seen and one that never seems to lose its magic. I can't wait to upgrade this. I have had this on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD as well and look forward to upgrading again. Great review David and thanks for the work you put into itPosted Image
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#15 of 176 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 10:13 AM

David, WOW, you deserve a major prize for your time and effort in that review. It's obvious that this film means much to you (as it does to alot of people) and I , and I am sure all members, really appreciate your time and effort. Awesome job, thank you.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#16 of 176 OFFLINE   Adam*M

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 10:20 AM

It looks like I will have to do what I do with most Disney releases - make my own copy, taking off any ads, and this time: remove the 5.1 audio track. That's the one thing I miss about LaserDisc. You could pop in a disc and just watch the film, without a bunch of extra junk.

#17 of 176 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,324 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 10:34 AM

Phenomenal review.

#18 of 176 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,747 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 10:34 AM

Wow, David. You've outdone yourself. Posted Image

I'm exhausted from reading. But that's a good thing here! Glad I read it and fortunate to be able to read this great and informative review.

Great job! Posted Image

#19 of 176 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,511 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted December 07 2004 - 10:53 AM

Nice review. Very detailed. I love this movie ever since I was a wee lad. So back in the LD days, I was forced to get the Japanese version of Mary Poppins, as that was the only wide-screen available. And in anticipation of this DVD, I watched it a few weeks ago to refresh my memory on audio mix and visual presentation. In the Japanese disk, there are sub-titles (in Japanese) but the producers of the disc raise the film image so that the titles appear in the black portion picture. I mention this to point out no where on the disc is any of the image obstructed. Interesting to hear the variety of ratios presented. Let me add another. This disc was mastered at what looks like to be 2:1, slightly window boxed (is that the same as "pillarboxed"?). I felt this was the correct ratio because the scene with Mary, the kids and Dick Van Dyke riding the horses in the painting was perfectly framed with all four equally spread across the screen and no one was cut off. I also want to include this disc as one whose presentation could be brighter. As I recall, though, flesh tones looked good, particularly Mary's rosie cheeks. I'm sorry to hear the 5.1 mix was botched as this was the feature I was looking forward to. I love the music inthe movie so this was a big point for me. The Japanese LD presents a stereo mix that is quite good, given the era of this movie. There was certainly no preponderance of bass as reported in the review above. Looks like I'll be holding on to this disc for awhile. That said, I will still purchase this and further compare the two.

#20 of 176 OFFLINE   PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 11:34 AM

David, Comprehensive as usual. Thank you! I think I need to print this review out though, I prefer to read such an extended review in print. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users