What's new

Cocktails (1 Viewer)

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
Just browsed thru that Beer Thread.

Although I respect Beer Drinkers I think cocktails are much more enjoyable.

There's nothing like a Manhattan Straight Up.

Paul__A

Grip
although my drink of choice is bourbon, a side car or a bloody mary will always put a smile on my face. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I love a good Mai Tai, but I am always to embarrassed to order one and usually order my standard MGD.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of good ones, but for me the number one (with no real close second) is a well made

Dry Martini—made with gin and stirred not shaken. :D

To be a bit picky, Bloody Marys, Mai Tais, and Long Island Ice Teas are mixed drinks. Cocktails contain only booze (small amounts of things like bitters are permitted).

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Saphire & Tonic is my drink of choice.

But when I'm in the mood for something fancy, nothing beats a Golden Cadillac. (Galiano, Creme De Cacao, Cream, Ice. Blend!)

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I just tried a sour apple martini the other night... mmmmmm good :D (Apple Vodka, Sour Pucker, a dash of Apple Juice and two thin apple wedges for garnish)

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Tanquerey Gin and Tonic for me...especially during the summertime...cool and refreshing
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Bloody Mary's on tailgating mornings.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Vodka
Southern Comfort
Triple Sec
Amerado
Cranberry
Grenidine
Line juice

The perfect little pick-me-up before i drive into work in the morning. Gotta have 3 at least.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Stoli's martini, with a little dirt and 2 olives.

If I'm in a fufu drink mood, then a green russian isn't too bad (vodka, midori's and milk).

Captain Morgans' and 7 is an interesting combination as well.

And of course, Crown and Ginger.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Grey Goose or Chopin Vodka martini, extra dry (swirl vermouth in glass, then pour out excess), shaken until ice cold, with extra olives (the big kind).

Any kind of Single Malt Scotch, lately I've been taking to the Islay varieties - Lagavulin, Laphroaig, etc. Lots of peat smoke - not for the Scotch rookie, but great for something really different. Then there's always The MacCallan.

Can't let this go without mentioning the exquisite Port I had a couple weeks ago in a great luxury bar in downtown Atlanta. It was a Grahame 1985 and even at 24.50 a glass it was worth every penny! Had it at a fine resort in Lake Placid a few years back, saw it on the list and had to have it again.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

Hehe, Actually you not far off. It started its life as a Red Death. But I can't stand the taste of Slow Gin. So I eliminated it as well as the OJ and added a splash of lime juice. I call it a DUI but that is really just a joke. Deffinantly not a one for the road kinda thing.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well for me it's been hard to beat the sheer stopping power of a Long Island.

--
H

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
For cocktails, either a Rob Roy or Tanguery Martini..either dry and straight up. For sipping, there's nothing quite like a good single malt Scotch.

Mort

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Shaking a martini will bruise the vermouth. But I'm sure 007 doesn't care about a bruise....

My favorite is a quality Anejo, straight up. Got a bottle of Cuervo Family Reserve that is mighty tasy.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I have a hard time believing this. What about when the vermouth is in transit, or poured into the mixing (stirring) glass?

The main reason to stir and not shake a martini (or any other almost-clear cocktail) is to prevent the drink from becoming cloudy. The martini is supposed to look clear, although a few minutes after shaking, it will clear up anyway.

The other issue is how much water ends up in the finished drink and how cold it is. Shaking will make the drink colder and add more water from the melted ice cubes.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Got it from my mixology instructor. I never really probed what the definition of "bruising" was for Vermouth, but according to Google (does it ever lie ?), you can bruise the Gin, Vermouth and the cubes !!!! Maybe they should call a shaken martini the "Mike Tyson" :D

Perhaps bruising is just the cloudiness.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks