What's new

Doom - the game now into a movie ? (1 Viewer)

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
While looking up some of Karl Urban movies on IMBD:

The Bourne Supremacy (2004) .... Kirill
The Chronicles of Riddick (2004) .... Vaako
The Lord of the Rings:The Return of the King(2003).... Eomer
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) .... Eomer
Ghost Ship (2002) .... Munder

I found this:

Doom (2005)

Cast in credits order)
Karl Urban.... John Grimm
Dhobi Oparei.... Destroyer
Ben Daniels.... Goat
Razaaq Adoti.... Duke
Richard Brake.... Portman
Al Weaver.... The Kid
Yao Chin.... Mac
Daniel York.... Lt. Hunegs
Ian Hughes.... Sandford Crosby
Sara Houghton.... Dr. Jenna Willits
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Rosamund Pike.... Samantha
The Rock.... Sarge

I found this on the movie:
Doom Updated:

Wednesday 22nd September 2004: Doom update:
Bond bad girl Rosamund Pike has signed up to appear in Doom, based on the video game, as a scientist. Karl Urban was recently announced as part of the cast, and The Rock is also set to appear.

Wednesday 15th September 2004: Doom Update:
Karl Urban, recently seen in Lord of the Rings and The Bourne Supremacy, has been snapped up by Universal to play John Grimm, the leader of a special ops team, in their Doom adaptation. When dealing with alien demons, Grimm is forced to cross paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths. In the game, the story is set at a Mars space station, where an aerospace conglom is conducting secret experiments when something unleashes a demonic force that threatens to overtake the facility. The project already has the expected release date of August 5, 2005.

Tuesday 14th September 2004: Doom Update:
Enda McCallion is off the Doom project due to personal reasons and has been replaced by Crdle 2 the Grave director Andrzej Bartkowiak.

Monday 6th September 2004: Doom Update:
Possible spoiler to the Doom movie with The Rock apparantly saying "The great twist is I'm not the hero of the movie. I'm being chased and then there's an even better twist where I'm, er, not a good guy".

Wednesday 4th August 2004: Doom Update:
ER producer John Wells is attached to the Doom movie scheduled to shoot in Prague this winter.

Wednesday 7th July 2004: Doom Update:
The Rock has been talking up his involvement with Universal on the Doom game adaptation which now has a director in the form of Enda McCallion.

Tuesday 8th June 2004: Doom Update:
It looks like we spoke too soon as the Doom computer game adaptation is not yet in Universal's hands. Instead id Software still hold the rights and have a number of studios interested in the project.

Friday 4th June 2004: Doom Update:
Universal Pictures have optioned the Dave Callaham script based on the Doom 3 video game coming later this year. Enda McCallion is attached to direct for producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura and John Wells. The story is set at a Mars space station, where an aerospace conglom is conducting secret experiments when something unleashes a demonic force that threatens to overtake the facility.

Monday 1st December 2003: Doom Update:
ID head huncho Todd Hollenshead has revealed in an interview what is happening with the development on Doom "They (Warners) just got a revised draft of the script and it's looking really good. Our deal is actually putting time pressure on Warner Brothers to not sit and wait on the movie"

Tuesday 12th August 2003: Doom Update:
SKNR has been in touch with the following "A source claiming to be involved in the production sent me this .... The writers of SWAT submitted a
draft to Sony, but that never made it. The rights are owned by Warner Bros.
The movie's producers are John Wells and Lorenzo DiBoniventura
As per my digging, Warner has to have the film in production by November when the rights could shift back to ID software where new deals would have to be made. Sony is interested in getting the rights but the ball seems to be in Warners court."

Wednesday 6th August 2003: Doom Update:
Gareth has just sent in the following "While covering SWAT, I came upon
this nugget regarding the long delayed film. seems the writers of SWAT (Ron
Mita and Jim MCClain) have beeen hired to write the script for DOOM .This
is according to sources at Sony and verified by the media kit for SWAT in
the writers Bio."

Monday 30th September 2002: Doom Update:
Warner Bros are in negotiations with software company id for the rights to make a movie out of their games property Doom. Doom alongside Castle Wolfenstein 3D are widely recognized as being the most influential first person shooters and have spawned many many clones. The deal they are thought to be going for is a 15 month deal that will mean they will have to make a movie within those fifteen months or lose the rights. No writer has been hired yet, Doom is being produced by Lorenzo DiBonaventura and John Wells Productions. But it looks like they are making serious changes to the Doom scenario, as they are looking for a PG-13 rating. Doom was always chock full of gore, and fans will no doubt expect this in the movie version. Doom the movie is thought to be taking the plot of Doom III in which scientists on a Martian base accidentally open a portal into Hell.
http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/d/doom.shtm

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I think id actually sold the rights to this one a long time ago. Maybe '95?

Carmack announced that that pre-production was getting started at the Doom con back in August when Doom 3 came out.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
So they're finally gonna go through with it huh? I remember hearing about the Doom movie back in the mid 90s when Doom II came out.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
And according to this onset report from theinquirer.net, which it translated from here, the movie doesn't even take place on Mars nor do they reference anything coming from Hell.

My hope for this movie dropped to near zero.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
The Rock was on the Daily Show last week and said that filming just finished and the movie is to be released in August. No other significant details other than BFG and what it really stands for ...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah The BFG is now the Bioforce Gun.

Let me go ahead and say the fan definition was more effective in it's ability to describe the gun's appearance: BIG FUCKING GUN!

The removal of Mars along with hell are definitely problems for me. Apparently the creatures in the film are created due to a viral infection. With recent popcorn flicks like Resident Evil and it's sequel tackling that same subject matter, I would have preferred the denizens of hell running rampant on Mars as the stories focus. Not just because such a story *IS* Doom either.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I'm sure THAT is what BFG has stood for all along. And it would be quite humorous to hear it in the movie from The Rock. LOL, I can also picture Schwarzenegger saying it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Actually the official FAQ included with the original game called it the "Big Fragging Gun". Fans kind of warped that throughout the years into the R-Rated version. I'm sure Id Software kind of went with the flow on that one regardless. ;)

I agree that hearing the Rock break out with "Big Fucking Gun" in the movie would be a fun moment.:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
My favorite quote from the Rock on the Daily Show was "You know Ben Affleck said 'I'm tired of blowing stuff up in movies.' Well I LOVE to blow shit up!":D

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
If I remember, the manual said something like "Big...uh...freaking gun." So it was technically big freaking gun, but the implication was obvious. Hell, when I was playing Doom and my dad asked what that gun was, and I said the BFG, he immediately caught on. Sort of like the radio station KMFR in San Antonio, they claim it stands for "Might Fine Rock," but the ads play up. The clear subtext is not so G rated.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Rock implied that while the BFG has one meaning in the film, it will also retain its "real" meaning too. So I expect him to mention it by its proper name at some point.

Story change is lame, but that won't make the film bad or good. The script will do that. I like The Rock in his roles so far, even Scorp King. He is the real deal to me, moreso than Vin Disel. He has more charisma and versitility I think. Doom may not be a great film, but Rock will probably be good in it.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
At least one can't complain that it's not true to the game, as it really never had much of a plot.

Golly gee, I really wish Uwe Boll had directed this. That would make it a sure-fire hit!;) :D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Jeez, all these movies based on videogames. I guess I will have to hold out hope for my favorite:

Q-Bert: The Movie

I wonder if they could get Joe Pesci to star? He seems to be one of the few whose cussing skills could keep up with Q-Bert's.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing funnier than the pending existence of a "Doom" (or "Q-Bert") movie is the fact that there were "Doom" NOVELS in the '90s. This was back when Even People Who Don't Play Videogames were playing this one, but I still can't fathom what market they thought they were seducing with the books, which from what I saw were just goofy walkthroughs. It reminded me of the Simpsons joke with Bart reading the enormous hardcover "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie: The Novel."

And I always thought my Roald Dahl theory about the BFG-9000 was nearly as funny as the official Id word on it.

Damn, is there anything more purely '90s than "Doom"? "The X-Files," maybe? And NOW they're trying to sell a movie?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

"Alot of"? Don't you mean "every single"? They've been making movies based on video games for over a decade now and not a SINGLE one has managed to be anything but a cinematic trainwreck. Why don't they just give it up?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah....how dare you come in here and add some humor to these dour proceedings.....:rolleyes:

Anyway...no Mars & a viral infection rather than Hell, eh? ......(sigh).....oh hollywood....mind you I agree that the game was never about "in-depth plotting" but why the hell would you take out the best things, pretty much the only things, in what little story line there was?
This whole "me too" hollywood thing is annoying to me but it has been in place since the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks