Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best use of lights on a receiver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   North

North

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 02:46 AM

I remember being fascinated by the lighted dials of my uncles receiver when I was a kid and I still am. So anyway, let's hear your favs, from sublimely elegant to Christmas like. Past & present.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Jason GT

Jason GT

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 03:44 AM

[party pooper mode] Any Prepro or AVR in which the front panel is 100% dimmable. [/party pooper mode]

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 04:20 AM

Look at old McIntosh gear. And Marantz.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 04:50 AM

I'll be the first to mention the blue light on Sony gear(especially the ES gear). It's mezmorizing Posted Image

Then again the rest of my ES display is dimmed.

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Adam*M

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 05:09 AM

I always liked the spectrum analyzer they used to have on receivers and equalizers. Back in the 80's, I took an cheap equalizer and hid it in a closet, with a small camera pointed at it. Then I connected the output of the camera to a leftover 9 inch green-screen monitor from my Apple //c, which I placed in my stereo rack. People loved that giant spectrum analyzer. Of course, these days, I run my receiver with the lights dimmed/off. If I want to watch funky graphics while I listen to music, I can always run iTunes...

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,562 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 02 2004 - 06:09 AM

I like the new H/K blue lighting behind the volume knob. Onkyo seems to have adopted a similar concept on it's most recent receivers too.

With my Marantz I have the option of display only when something changes (key press, etc...) or no display at all. I prefer fewer lights, and the ability to completely dim is a must. My DVD player and CD player also have the ability to have no display at all.

Blue Circle has some nice looking stuff.

Sony ES has changed to a purple light, AFAIK.

Racklight LED lighting from Panamax Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Rob Silver

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 08:04 AM

Don't like lights on the receiver unit at all, rather have it on a backlite remote. Not into all the flashy LEDs and disco balls, I like it low key.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 08:20 AM

I shut all the displays off as well when given the choice Posted Image

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   RobWil

RobWil

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 10:16 AM

I, too, enjoy the old Marantz's from the 70's.
that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 12:55 PM

I've covered all the lights with tape or other materials.

I hate electronics that have bright displays that you cant turn off. They wash out my screen. Posted Image

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 02:33 PM

Actually, I saw a new McIntosh receiver on the shelf the other day - and it still looked plenty like a Christmas tree.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   MichaelOD

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 02:50 PM

I really dig blue LED's. H/K and my Rotel Reciever [standby] come to mind!

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted December 03 2004 - 04:35 AM

Yes, I was a bit presumptuous there. Look at any new McIntosh gear as well.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted December 03 2004 - 05:19 AM

My Pioneer receiver (VSX-D912) has a blue light behind the volume knob as well. Does anyone know the purpose of it? Is it just so you can find the volume knob in extreme darkness?

My old Sony had a blue light that came on when decoding a DD/dts source (I think). It was disabled when you completely dimmed the display, but my Pioneer doesn't have that feature, unfortunately...

Sorry to be a wet blanket, since this thread was supposed to celebrate lights on the receiver Posted Image

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted December 03 2004 - 06:55 AM

If you want a Christmas tree display, I think the Sunfire Processors do the job quite well Posted Image

OTOH, the new Meridian G Series has a very faint blue backlighting behind the buttons that adds a neat touch of elegance. I wish I could take a picture of it, but I need to find someplace that does picture hosting that allows external links so that I can include with the IMG tags.

Cheers,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,562 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 03 2004 - 07:00 AM

If you have a Yahoo e-mail addy, you should also be able to host your own pics with a public album on Yahoo photos.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   GetGray

GetGray

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted December 03 2004 - 09:36 AM

My old Sansui equalizer with real time led graph was pretty spiffy I thought. Too bad you can't dim it or I might still use it...

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Ben LG

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 09:06 AM

I like the blue leds on the Rotel gear, some of the best looking components imo.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Billy Posey

Billy Posey

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 09:40 AM

I inherited my fascination for audio components from my father who use to do a lot dee jaying back in the seventies. When I was three I use to draw pictures of his equipment and how they were connected. In the late seventies he purchased one to those Technics by Panasonic receivers, models Sa-800 to the behemoth sa-1000( the 300 watt per channel model). I remember the next morning after connected everything, being mesmerized the the green lights that blinked to the music. Then a few days later after seeing how I continuously stared at the lights, he amused me even more by showing how they changed to yellow and red as the volume had in turned louder. When I became a teenager that receiver became my first until a few years later I got rid of it to get into more modern gear. Recently I found two more of the same model on ebay and now I use them as power amps. Still to day I like they receivers are lit up almost as much as I like their quality or features. I never dim them as I don't find it distracting. I like looking at my equipment nearly as much as I like messing around with them.
so no weaknesses at all, ay?
no...uh..no....
You...uh... you hesitated there.... is there something I should know?
No, it's virtually indestructible...like 99 point 9 percent uh..
Okay... I wouldn't be doin' my job if I didn't ask what's the point o 1..

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   John Kotches

John Kotches

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 01:03 PM

John,

Then I would have to take a good photograph. My photography skills could stand quite a bit of improvement Posted Image

Cheers,
Surround Music Enthusiast / Curmudgeon in Training
Opinions are my own, not representative of the publication I write for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users