What's new

I dont know much.. Im so tired of searching (1 Viewer)

SeanHen

Agent
Two months ago I went out and purchased what Ive wanted for the past year... a new plasma. I m so happy with the plasma so I said chit might as well go out and get some good sounding speakers to make this HT rock. I went into the bose store and heard the lifestyle 48. I must admit I was impressed. With a 4K price tag I left the store. I ended up going with a local dealer that was selling the unit for 3k.

I hear all the talk of bose not being "all that." Fine. What are other alternatives for novice like me. I dont have a keen sense of sound, im not a audiophile. Heck I just want to be happy. Is there anything that is small like the bose speakers since I would like I clean set-up. I dont want my HT to be intimidating. I would like sounds to come from all round the room and my guests doesnt know where the speakers are located.

At this point Im fed up. I have no clue on where to look. I browse this forum almost everyday but im so ignorant to model numbers and terms that I dont have a clue. Can someone just point me to the right direction. I would like to come out of the dark. -- Sean

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Talk to the good doctor at Plasmadocs (see ad banner and sticky notes above); they might be able to set you up with a nice combo system that is small and discrete while still sounding great.

There are in-wall speaks out there, but they are a bit more work to install. Good looking speaks mounted on classy stands or wall mounts can make a fashion statement without being visually intimidating.

Polk Audio is doing some nice things with speaker systems designed to compliment thin TVs (like plasma) and be very discrete and fashionable in the living space while still offering high performance sound; check them out at www.polkaudio.com.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Energy Take 5.2 system, and look for a decent woofer (Synergy, or some other brand). Total: Around $1,100 or so. Sound is quite good.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at the B&W Natulist speakers they are kinda small and funky looking....and sound amazing.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If you like the size of the Bose speakers you might want to also look at Orb Audio systems. http://www.orbaudio.com/

I've never heard these personally, but every review by owners is very positive. The price is sure attractive...especially compared to Bose.

Mort

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
B&W, Energy, Polk, Paradigm, (others)... all are IMO a better return on your hard earned dollar than Bose. Just go to a stereo store and give them a listen. Chances are you will find something you like that sounds great for under 3 grand.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
Find a Best Buy or Circuit City and audition some of their speakers. They may or may not offer the best price so take notes of what you like and what you don't. Then either buy one of those Home Theaters in a Box units or put together your own system. Onkyo has some nice HTIB packages.

Generally you'll get what you pay for but you are welcome to post what you auditioned and get responses from people here.

Its not that hard to put one together yourself. You'll need a receiver, a good dvd player, a great subwoofer and at least five speakers (one of which will be your center channel). That will give you a 5.1 system. (five speakers, one sub)

Bose sounds good to many people but you don't get the highs or the lows. Try asking Bose for their speaker ranges sometime. They won't tell you.

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
Your not going to hear anything that sounds great at Circuit City or Bestbuy but you are welcome to look. I sold more crap to people at circuit city than you would ever guess. So yeah go to a good audio store where they have real nice speakers.

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
People who have never heard truly high fidelity don't know what they are missing. Most who frequent the Circuit Cities and the Best Buy's of the world are looking for just any old thing that looks good and is convenient. If it sounds half good they buy it, if it has a Cerwin Vega name it must mean quality. That Sony sub must be quality if it has the name....oh so not true. Home theaters in a box should be called cheap speakers in a box. Some I would compare to the sound you get out of a Coby, Audiovox, Apex, Soundesign, and others of questionable quality. Most band-in-a-box type setups use the cheapest of components and the first thing to go is the speakers with little paper whizzer cones and poor frequency responses that you get from a cheap radio. Most systems 5.1 systems are extremely anemic and in desperate need of CPR.

There are many decent home theater systems out there. You can look at Polk like Ed said. My brother has one of their setups and it does sound very nice. Their subs are decent as well. Look also at the Northridge systems from JBL at circuit city. They are expensive for a cheaper system but the accuracy is better and a little closer to high end if you want to buy from a chain store. They don't last very long (mine disintegrated in the surrounds in 5 yrs) but are fairly accurate speakers. Also look at Paradigm and Pinnacle who make good setups fairly cheap. Also look at Athena, Yamaha, Klipsh, KEF, ADS & Infinity. They make all mainstream stuff but are decent. Bose I would pass as they bloat the hell out of their systems. They sound OK but are priced twice to three times as they should in my estimation. They are not as good of quality as people think but they have innovative engineering.

We sell 5 audiophile systems of high quality that may be up your alley and are inexpensive.

1) The Onix Rocket Tyke 5.1 systems in black and white $399

2) The 5.1 Onix Rocket system that we have for sale in Cherry (not as tiny as the bose in a bookshelf setup) for $699 (free speaker wire or sub cable with purchase for HTF people)

3) Our 5.1 SVS/Onix combo for $950 with the state of the art SVS PB10-ISD subwoofer(HTF members get $25 gift certificate)

4) The 5.1 Dalhquist Orbit speaker system (tiniest of all systems with 2 1/2" woofers and dome tweeters) for $399
(I can throw in some wire for free)

5)Our Ascend Acoustics/SVS Combo HTM-200 system with SVS sub for $1014(with HTF discount).

We also have been talking to http://www.Orbaudio.com based here in New York and they look just like the Bose and sound better and $699 for a 5.1 MOD1 system is nice. We wanted to get them on board soon to sell with us. Tell Ethan I said HI if you call :)

The SVS/Ascends and the SVS/Onix are by far our best values and nobody has them but us.

All of the above are state of the art in home theater sound and very good values but are NOT in the chain stores. We took what we saw as the best components and mated them in some of these systems with incredible value that would cost twice to three times as much money as most other systems.

We also have new systems from Advent Heritage and Acoustech BIC America that we haven't put up yet that are more mainstream. They are not as good in our eyes but we selected some brands that were more popular to sell.

BTW we also sell in walls but that is going to be way more expensive just due to all the work you would either have to pay for or do yourself. We have like 5 different in wall manufacturers including in wall subs but you have to run wire in the walls and it’s a pain for the do it yourself-er. A properly set up system (the key to good HT) you shouldn't be able to tell where the speakers are but be able to create a sound stage where things sound like they are coming from places the speakers are not. That is proper level setting and choosing quality speakers. I often ask people when they get their system to set it up as we describe and then put on some movie or song they normally watch or listen to, close their eyes and just listen. Most are amazed at all the detail that they lost for years without a good system. Once you go hifi you never go back. Its like driving a BMW then buying a Yugo (no offence to Yugo owners :) ) it just is not the same. We have converted many people to the dark side over the years ;).

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Goodness! Is that kind of crap, what advertising on HTF allows you to do these days? I hope not! The frickin intellitext turning my writing into someone else's ad is bad enough.

Joey_V

Second Unit
Too much advertising I think.

To the original poster,

If you want something that doesnt impede too much and intimidate your visitors, go with bookshelfs and a solid subwoofer. Fot the price of 3k, you can get some pretty Hi-End speakers!

Dont settle for bose just because they are small.

To make things easy on you....
If you were I, I would get:
Polk LSi9 (Left and Right Front Speakers) - $900
Polk LSi7 (Left and Right Rear Speakers) - $700
Polk LSiC (Center Speaker) - $500
SVS PB10 (Subwoofer) - $400

Total Retail:
$2100 for the speakers + $400 for the subwoofer.

Go to tweeter to check out the Polk LSi speakers and if you buy it there, you can easily get a huge discount when buying the two pairs. Perhaps 10-20% off. DONT BE AFRAID TO HAGGLE. If one tweeter doesnt give it to you, go to another one. THREATEN TO WALK OUT. LOL...

Anyway, 10-20% off is pretty good. A 2100$ setup might cost you only 1700$ if you deal right.

OR...

You can do what I did and go ebay.

You can get the LSi9 for for about 600$ and the LSi7 for approximately 400$ or so. The LSiC can be had for maybe 300 to 400$. The whole thing can be yours for approx. 1300 to 1400$ from ebay. Not bad!

There are many other speaker combos out there, as I'm sure more will respond with their picks and tips. However, for my taste and after searching for so long, I have found that these Polk LSi are the best I can get at this price.

My opinions, take it with a grain of salt. If you are in the chicago area, you can come by for a demo! PM me if you need some more help! I would be glad to help. ;)

Good luck in your search for speakers!! This is the fun part! :D

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry I was just offering some suggestions and possibly saving him some money. Over 1/2 of the items we suggested we don't even sell :frowning: My brother has the polks and likes them fine :D

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I would never buy from BB or CC. However, speakers such as JBL, Infinity, Polk, etc are not all "junk." I use JBL's all around and paid %40 of BB's prices. Again, would not buy there but it is useful for auditioning.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
With the quality merchandise and prices the Doc offers, as well as his reasonably objective opinions I think he's the kind of forum sponsor we need. The SVS/Onix and SVS/Asscend combos from the doc offer a great value. Other than that you might want to look at speakers from Swans (www.theaudioinsider.com) and Axiom (www.axiomaudio.com). The Polk RTi and Monitor lines are very nice as well as the JBL E Series. The JBL Es are available for much less online than at Best Buy, check J&R (www.jr.com) and B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com). In terms of receivers I think the Pioneer 1014TX is impossible to beat for under $700 in terms or price, features (PLIIx, auto calibration with room-eq, component video upconversion) and true power (tested at 115w x 5 actual output) and it's available for under $400 shipped online.

Hope this helps :)

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it. Just watch out about JBL. There are many stores online that sell JBL cheap and about 80% of them are unauthorized = no warranty. Mine died after the warranty expired (5 yrs) I re-surrounded them with a kit and kept on truckin' :) Pioneer is also another company to watch out for unauthorized sellers. I think for evey 10 unauthorized ones there is 1 authorized. :frowning:

We were looking at one point to sell the swans. Nice speakers! Audio insider is great. Check out http://www.audioenvy.com as well for info on the swans and other speakers that are net based if you want to audition them in people's homes. It's a great idea.

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Polks may not be discounted for any reason. No amount of haggling will get you a penny off regardless of the store.

-Dave

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Regarding the Polks.. never say never... I have a friend that works in a medium end audio/video shop. They have ways around that and he would gladly give me say 10% off. Its all in the way they do the paperwork.

Secondly for the initial poster. I can vouch for the Rocket set up and go to av123.com. Give Sean a call there, tell him what you have or want for components, They have alot of b stock stuff coming back like Denon receivers that were loaners until their brand finally hit the states. He could make you a huge deal on a system that would Rock your socks off for half the money of a brick and morter store plus not only do they sound better they are built and look much better. Customer service is better than a "10" they will go to the ends of the world to make you happy. Great group of guys and people on their forum are equally as nice and helpful.

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
I can vouch for Sean and the entire crew at Onix. They were the first company that we got on board and are some of the nicest people you will ever want to know. We only can sell their Rocket ELT's at the moment but hopefully we will carry their full line like Ascend Acoustics. Their stuff is top notch and why they will be one of our favorite speaker manufactures. They are one of the few companies that sell small tyke speakers up to room shaking towers at amazing prices plus they sell some of the most amazing amplifiers and sound processing equipment. We are very proud to be the only other distributor of their equipment.

Dave
You would be very surprised what people try to sell online. Learning this retail business in short order (as my primary job is an MD) people will TRY to sell you everything at a discount but rarely follow through, especially these poor web vendors that bait you in with incredible prices then mysteriously are out of stock. But they have this nice low quality high margin products to sell you :). I have seen Polk's advertised for less than list but that doesn't mean you can buy them...same goes for plasma TV's and all electronics. This electronics biz wasn't what we envisioned when we started out to sell stuff. There is too much dirty pool and underhanded selling tactics. Really good etailers are far and in-between.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks