What's new

Tosh DST-3000 YES? - NO? + Hook-Up (1 Viewer)

Philip

Grip
I currently have my Tosh 56H80 hooked up to Replay TV, a Rotel A/V receiver and a Tosh 5109 DVD player and a JVC S VCR. I also have 3 other TVs in the house and do not need a SAT feed for these sets.
I am very happy using Replay TV and rarely watch live TV but am hearing so much about the visual benefits of an HD picture that I am getting the bug to buy the Tosh DST 3000.
Finances are a concern and here is my dilemma. I do NOT need to have an eliptical dish on my roof because I have no interest in watching sports or movies on 200 + channels. The number of channels I receive from my cable company are sufficient since my job, + 1 wife and a 3 year old take up most of my time, (not necessarily in that order), however, the quality of the pic on the Tosh is not the best.
If I got the HD box, I would simply hook it up to either an attic or rooftop antenna because I want to keep my local cable feed for all other TVs, + the Tosh 56H80, since I would probably not get many SD or HD shows by the antenna. IOW, I have no desire to pay for local cable service at $46 per month + DIRECT TV fees for the Tosh.
Questions:
1. Since my cable is not terrible and they are promising us "digital" cable real soon, would the HD box be a waste of money, especially since I will never use it for movies or sports and I will probably only receive 3 - 4 stations in HD and the rest in SD, which might be no better then what I am receiving or will receive when my local cable goes digital? (If I want to see a movie, I rent it on DVD for $3 - $5 on my way home.)
2. Will an attic antenna work well instead of a roof top and if so, which one should I buy and from whom?
3. Will Replay TV pick up all HD stations coming into the HD box without duplicating those coming into Replay TV from my cable company?
4. Will I have the same problem with the Tosh HD box experienced by another purchaser..that is, he could not use TW 1, (which IMHO is really the best stretch mode to watch standard 4:3 material)...he says it locks into full mode or TW 3, which causes him to make multiple switching with his Pronto to view the pic the way he wants. (If he is correct, this would annoy the heck out of me, since I love TW 1 for everything...however, he says he cured the problem by returning his Tosh HD box and buying the Sony HD box.)
5. Are all members who purchased the Tosh DST 3000 happy with the unit and does anyone use it with just a rooftop or atic antenna, or WITHOUT a dish?
Thanks for your help! Phil

I am in the same situation, HD is not even broadcast OTA in Tucson locally yet, maybe 2002. Is this unit worth buying just for Digital cable?
I will be getting the Toshiba 65H80 set this week
Thanks,
Aaron
------------------

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Digital Cable is not HDTV.
At least not in my area.
In fact, I've heard many complaints in some cases, of Digital Cable's picture looking worse than analog cable, due to pixelation.
I have the TW65H80, but still don't have a HD STB for it yet, so I'm not too much help on the subject.
But, I am pretty sure of the things I've stated above.
With a set top box, you will only be able to pick up over the air HD broadcasts, or satellite broadcasts.

Joe-
I know that Digital Cable it not HD. I have both Digital cable and regular it all depends where I put the cable box.
so I guess the question is the up-conversion in the Toshiba to 1080i worth the cost?
Thanks,
Aaron
------------------

Philip

Grip
Thanks for your responses....please take a look at some of the other questions in my original post.
I'd appreciate any help since I do not want to drop another $1k into my system and find out that there was no need to do soo.
Phil

Chris White

Second Unit
I would be interested in reading answers to all of Phil's questions since I have some of the same concerns. I can address a couple of them.
2. This all depends on where you are located relative to the broadcast tower and the topography. This page: Antennaweb should help you decide.
4. With the DST3000, the only output is 1080i and the set locks into full mode. If you don't want to upconvert all material and prefer to use TW1 for 4:3 material, you need an STB with variable output such as the Sony.
5. I'm fairly certain the directv boxes will work without a satellite dish while the dish boxes will not.
If you're only interested in OTA reception, a STB you might want to consider is the Samsung. It is an OTA-only STB and is the only one I'm aware of that allows simultaneous output of 1080i and 480i. This is a great feature for those of us with a tivo or replay since it doesn't require you to switch output depending on the source.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
5. Are all members who purchased the Toshiba DST-3000 happy with the unit and does anyone use it with just a rooftop or attic antenna, or WITHOUT a dish?
Just to confirm with Chris’ Response, you are able to use the DST-3000 without a Dish. I’m doing this now and it works fine. Of course you loose a lot of the Features when not using the Dish but for HD, I’m willing to sacrifice it.
biggrin.gif
As an owner, I’m very happy with this STB. The only problem that I have experienced is hooking up two of the same signal into the Toshiba. Since the Toshiba will only accept one OTA signal and I have two (Antenna and Cable) this became a problem. This was easily fixed with the Pronto however.
------------------
~Andrew~
~Pronto Programmer~
AIM SN: FFU Productions
ICQ #: 21603991
Home Theater Pictures [Updated: June 22]
Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks