What's new

Comcast Digital cable/HD (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
How is the Comcast digital/HD package? I know that channels 0-99 are analog, but I was wondering how many channels are offered in HD and if anyone that has that service recommends it, hates it, whatever.

J

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In Southeastern Michigan, Comcast offers the following HD channels as part of its basic digital/HD package:

ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, InHD, InHD2, Fox-HD, CBS-HD, ABC-HD, NBC-HD and PBS-HD.

There are other HD premium channels offered at an additional fee. I cannot remember them all, but HBO-HD, SHOW-HD, Cinemax-HD and Starz-HD come to mind.

I've subscribed to the basic digital/HD package for over a year. I do not watch any of the standard definition digital channels, but bought the package because (1) I wanted ESPN-HD and (2) I had trouble pulling in Fox, NBC and ABC HD signals via my indoor antenna.

Service has been decent. I had some problems early on with ESPN-HD, which turned out to be faulty cabling. That channel seems to be more sensitive to cable problems than the other HD channels. Also, since Comcast upgraded their on screen program guide, the box will freeze occasionally when sent a command via the remote. It will eventually process the IR command after a minute or two -- very bizarre.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I just have their HD package with cable box (Scientific Atlanta). The box itself is a POS, navigating fairly slow with an anoying pop-up screen asking me if I want to use their OnDemand service whenever I hit the guide key. Only reason I still stick with them is because of the discount we get on cable internet.

Tom WC

Auditioning
I have also had problems with the Comcast HD cable box freezing for 10-15 seconds and then executing all commands hit while it was frozen when it comes back.

I am also in SE mich (Ann Arbor)

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I have Comcast w/HD and am in the Northeast (CT). So far I am very happy with the digital channels and the HD channels. The only negative is the higher cost vs. sattalite. If I drop Comcast for sat, my Internet cost goes up. I also had some problems with the box freezing, and not getting ondemand, but, I had the box replaced and everything has been working fine since.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Does anyone use Tivo with their Comcast box? If so do you have it spliced to your tv as well so you can watch other shows while Tivo records another.

J

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Has anyone gotten the Cable card? Also if you want HD do you have to get Digital too? I only want my normal SD chans (1-99) and HD. I was hoping I could do that.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Depends on the Comcast location. I've heard of people getting it in the Northeast, but not elsewhere. Call your local Comcast and insist they let you have it or you'll switch to sat. They'll do their best to accomodate.

BTW, I have HD from Comcast and love it. Especially love the fact that I don't have to put up an antenna for locals.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Comcast digital/HD package is very good.

In Central NJ we get ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, InHD, InHD2, Fox-HD, CBS-HD, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, PBS-HD, WB-D (I think - no HD yet). We also subscribe to HBO so we get HBO-HD as well as all the HBO variants (east west north south up down latin greek etc).

The real sleeper I think is the "On Demand" service. There is a good selection of movies, usually these are a few weeks behind rental DVD releases. The formats (digital and digital widescreen with DD5.1, $3.99 for 24hr rental) are okay, but not really close to DVD video quality. The widescreen stuff is just letterboxed inside the 4:3 frame but you get OAR (I think - only watched a few) and the DD5.1 sound is quite good. There are also lots of free things, replays of sports and TV shows and such.

They are just starting to offer HD movies on demand ($5.99 for 24 hr rental) in this area. This will ultimately be a very popular feature I think.

All in all, I think it's a very good package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks