What's new

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban DVD Glitch Thread (Please Read) (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The purpose of this "Glitch" Thread:

Quality Assurance

Calling attention to the powers that be, to assist in the correction and replacement of "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban" DVD, that now produces a flawed "video" presentation, and where proper quality assurance, would produce a DVD with a "Film-like" picture, that until now, has been the norm for pictures of this caliber.

Principle:

The lack of quality of this disc should not be accepted by the consumer, because if it is allowed on a film of this caliber, what will be accepted next time?

What is the "VIDEO FLAW"?:

The "video oddity" was first reported November 25th, by Michael Reuben, about an "interference pattern, consisting of diagonal lines moving across the screen". This was most obvious at various points where the picture fades to black, and/or in very dark areas of the screen, like the shadows of objects at night.

Verifying Reports:

November 25, TonyD wrote:

Paul

Britton

Screenwriter
Argh, my post with a spelling error got quoted. I'd like to see the WB address the issues with this dvd as this was one of my favorite movies of 2004.

I must say Paul, your post reminds me of those TV spots for movies that just show quote after quote from critics hailing the movie. Of course, in this case, the reviews are all negative.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
You know Warner Brothers, - one of the main reasons the quality of disc production is so important, is to minimize the value of the steeling of the lower quality bootleg disc production of your movies.;)

By reputation alone, the bootleg quality of films is considered lower value and a trend downward from the pristine reputation of the legitimate Warner Bros. DVD production.

Do you want to minimize the value of your reputation?

Give us the "Prisoner Of Azkaban in a condition worthy of the caliber of the movie; worthy of a pristine DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
I'm kind of upset that this whole 301/302 thing isn't getting more attention. This could become a common practice and just because people don't care about Harry Potter, doesn't mean they shouldn't care about this problem. We've already seen this with those annoying dots at the movies.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for the offical reason for the numbers being there. If I hear of any other titles doing this I won't buy them, and if it becomes commonplace I'll just stop buying new releases altogether.
And those dots on theatrical prints ARE costing them more paying customers than they are helping catch pirates.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I am glad I didn't buy this. I wanted to, because I am a huge Potter fan, and the movie was pretty good. But I just haven't had the funds to spend on DVDs having just bought a computer. I hope this gets addressed.

I'll bring it to the attention of Mugglenet.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i have the region 3 dvd of hp3 and it has the number 301 but i couldn't find any discoulered frame @ time index 51:57

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'm also very suprised that there hasn't been much "press" on this. Usually sites like the Digital Bits are all over this sort of thing but I haven't seen any mention of it. I myself didn't notice the wavy lines or the discolored frame, but I did see the 301.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
If the 301 is there, this makes me think that the transfer was struck from the wrong master. How could this have happened? I'm not buying until this is corrected.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I get the wavy lines and the 301 as well. :thumbsdown:

This really is a major screwup as those wavy interference lines are fairly noticeable even on my ISF'd HDTV. They must look awful on factory TVs running on "torch" mode. I'm surprised we haven't heard more from them...

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone here had problems with accessing the DVD-ROM features? When trying to access them on my computer the disc acts just as if I was trying to access them from a regular DVD player and says to use a DVD-ROM drive.

Over on the official Harry Potter bboards there seem to be quite a few people with this problem as well.

Thanks,

Neil

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I just got around to watching PoA tonight.

The 301 doesn't bother me that much, but the wavy diagonal lines are terrible. The first thought that popped into my head was that I had better call my cable company and report the bad reception. But then I remembered I was watching a DVD...!

Warners really should do something about this.

Matt Hobbes

Agent
I definately saw it... the wavy lines are very annoying... and I only have a 32" tv. Almost every seen that had black in, you could see the wavy lines.
It was like watching cable (as someone earlier stated)

I called warner on this... no comment yet...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
...and here I thought it was just a bad rainstorm. :)

I caught those wavy lines the first time, and yes, it should be fixed. Time to send them a note.

Glenn

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Matt for posting this.
That's a rough one.:rolleyes

Who would be willing to give them there only copy of the movie?

Since it's Tuesday, December 21, I'm going out to get the "Surviving Christmas" DVD that was released today. - Just may buy another "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban" disc and replace it, to send them the one I know has the video interference patterns:thumbsdown:; although I'm starting to believe they all have the problem.:frowning:

Along with disc, it would be probably smart to send a printout of this thread.

The sacrifices us dedicated videophiles have to make for the cause! ;)

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks