Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban DVD Glitch Thread (Please Read)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 05:10 AM

The purpose of this "Glitch" Thread:

Quality Assurance

Calling attention to the powers that be, to assist in the correction and replacement of "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban" DVD, that now produces a flawed "video" presentation, and where proper quality assurance, would produce a DVD with a "Film-like" picture, that until now, has been the norm for pictures of this caliber.

Principle:

The lack of quality of this disc should not be accepted by the consumer, because if it is allowed on a film of this caliber, what will be accepted next time?

What is the "VIDEO FLAW"?:

The "video oddity" was first reported November 25th, by Michael Reuben, about an "interference pattern, consisting of diagonal lines moving across the screen". This was most obvious at various points where the picture fades to black, and/or in very dark areas of the screen, like the shadows of objects at night.

Verifying Reports:

November 25, TonyD wrote:
Quote:
i saw this, at least three times.
i was gonna ask about it but forgot.
looks awful.
it happens during the fade to blacks as you mentioned.
November 25, Michael Reuben wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen anything like this since the LD days. It looks like something caused interference during some stage of the disc production, but at the playback end it's probably impossible to say where.
November 25, Max Leung wrote:
Quote:
I saw this too a couple of times (only watched half the movie just to check it out). I have a Benq 8700+. My projector has a minor issue where I get interference patterns on near-black images too, and I thought it was that, except much worse than usual. I had assumed that the electrical interference was worse than usual last night.

Come to think of it, my projector usually displays faint horizontal lines in near-black (3 IRE?) images...but these lines were at 45 degree angles and were very obvious. I think there is something wrong with the mastering of this disk...
November 26, Michael wrote:
Quote:
Yep, I've got the rolling diagonal waves on dark scenes too. Very distracting.
November 27, Britton wrote:
Quote:
My friend and I both noticed it while watching it on his 47" Sony HD set. Definetely something with the video transfer, but we both noticed it wasn't visible in the black bars on the top and bottom.
November 28, Michael Reuben wrote:
Quote:
Can someone point out a specific time when the lines are visible?

Two examples, but not the only ones; both are fades to black:

1:22:20
1:45:29

M.
November 28, Craig Morris wrote:
Quote:
I noticed the wavy lines in the blackness immediately. I actually swapped out the disc to try the Matrix just to see if I had some new intereference in my system. It is definitely the disc. I didn't note specific times, but it was all over the first ten minutes of the film when Harry runs away in the dark.
November 30, Craig Morris wrote:
Quote:
I have emailed WB about the wavy lines in dark scenes. We'll see if they respond (I doubt it).
November 30, Paul Hillenbrand wrote:
Quote:
When I showed this movie to my favorite relatives, who happened to be a first time audience to our home theater, on Thanksgiving day, I was very embarrassed to see the wavy white lines in the very dark scenes. My first reaction was, I must tell these people I didn't use cheap cables and all connections are solid, and that this has never happened before.Posted Image

Such a powerful movie, and to take away the "film like" nature of the exhibit was a bitter disappointment for me.

This flawed DVD should be replaced. The lack of quality should not be accepted by the consumer. If it is allowed on a film of this caliber, then what next?

Chapter 27, in particular, showed the wavy lines in the shadows of the trees and anywhere the scenes had dark spots. The last fade from Chapter 27 and starting chapter 28 is saturated with them.

It puzzles me greatlyPosted Image, that more people didn't notice the flaw. Is it possible that a batch of the DVD's that have a number on them like, 301 or 302, don't have the problem? The batch sold in Northern California sure does. Posted Image

Paul
November 30, Michael Reuben wrote:
Quote:
I suspect that how noticeable they are depends greatly on the brightness and contrast settings of the display device.
December 1, Benson R wrote:
Quote:
I too noticed these lines. I paused the movie several times to check my cabling to see if I had some sort of ground loop problem.

Although I am relieved to see its not a problem with my system I am disturbed that something as obvious as this could escape quality control on a major release.

I am a little worried that perhaps this some sort of new copy control or digital watermark.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 07:02 AM

Argh, my post with a spelling error got quoted. I'd like to see the WB address the issues with this dvd as this was one of my favorite movies of 2004.

I must say Paul, your post reminds me of those TV spots for movies that just show quote after quote from critics hailing the movie. Of course, in this case, the reviews are all negative.

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 01:56 AM

You know Warner Brothers, - one of the main reasons the quality of disc production is so important, is to minimize the value of the steeling of the lower quality bootleg disc production of your movies.Posted Image

By reputation alone, the bootleg quality of films is considered lower value and a trend downward from the pristine reputation of the legitimate Warner Bros. DVD production.

Do you want to minimize the value of your reputation?

Give us the "Prisoner Of Azkaban in a condition worthy of the caliber of the movie; worthy of a pristine DVD. Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 04:00 AM

Also don't forget that WB needs to fix the "301" number at 17:37 and the discolored frame at 51:57. According to this thread at DVDfile
http://forums.dvdfil....ad.php?t=50584
The discolored Snape frame is not present in the R2 version so it is a problem with the transfer.

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Matthew Marino

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 04:35 PM

I'm kind of upset that this whole 301/302 thing isn't getting more attention. This could become a common practice and just because people don't care about Harry Potter, doesn't mean they shouldn't care about this problem. We've already seen this with those annoying dots at the movies.

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted December 04 2004 - 08:32 PM

I'm still waiting for the offical reason for the numbers being there. If I hear of any other titles doing this I won't buy them, and if it becomes commonplace I'll just stop buying new releases altogether.
And those dots on theatrical prints ARE costing them more paying customers than they are helping catch pirates.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted December 05 2004 - 05:18 PM

I am glad I didn't buy this. I wanted to, because I am a huge Potter fan, and the movie was pretty good. But I just haven't had the funds to spend on DVDs having just bought a computer. I hope this gets addressed.

I'll bring it to the attention of Mugglenet.

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted December 05 2004 - 11:53 PM

i have the region 3 dvd of hp3 and it has the number 301 but i couldn't find any discoulered frame @ time index 51:57

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted December 06 2004 - 03:38 PM

I'm also very suprised that there hasn't been much "press" on this. Usually sites like the Digital Bits are all over this sort of thing but I haven't seen any mention of it. I myself didn't notice the wavy lines or the discolored frame, but I did see the 301.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted December 06 2004 - 06:05 PM

If the 301 is there, this makes me think that the transfer was struck from the wrong master. How could this have happened? I'm not buying until this is corrected.

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted December 06 2004 - 06:07 PM

I get the wavy lines and the 301 as well. Posted Image

This really is a major screwup as those wavy interference lines are fairly noticeable even on my ISF'd HDTV. They must look awful on factory TVs running on "torch" mode. I'm surprised we haven't heard more from them...

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 04:03 AM

Is it possible the 301/302 has something to do with this:

http://www.amazon.co...SIN/B0006A9I5C/

And if so, why? I can't see any connection between the two myself, but I may be missing something. Posted Image

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted December 11 2004 - 03:19 PM

Has anyone here had problems with accessing the DVD-ROM features? When trying to access them on my computer the disc acts just as if I was trying to access them from a regular DVD player and says to use a DVD-ROM drive.

Over on the official Harry Potter bboards there seem to be quite a few people with this problem as well.

Thanks,

Neil

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted December 11 2004 - 05:07 PM

I just got around to watching PoA tonight.

The 301 doesn't bother me that much, but the wavy diagonal lines are terrible. The first thought that popped into my head was that I had better call my cable company and report the bad reception. But then I remembered I was watching a DVD...!

Warners really should do something about this.

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 11 2004 - 07:08 PM

I definately saw it... the wavy lines are very annoying... and I only have a 32" tv. Almost every seen that had black in, you could see the wavy lines.
It was like watching cable (as someone earlier stated)

I called warner on this... no comment yet...
hobbes

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 02:54 AM

Guess I was lucky. We finally watched this last nite and no problems here. :b

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 03:38 AM

...and here I thought it was just a bad rainstorm. Posted Image

I caught those wavy lines the first time, and yes, it should be fixed. Time to send them a note.

Glenn

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 12 2004 - 07:43 AM

here's warner home video's contact info:

Regular Mail:

Time Warner Order Center/WHV
P.O. Box 30620
Tampa, FL 33630-0620

E-mail address: whvcustserv@emsi.echomail.com
hobbes

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 21 2004 - 04:01 AM

I received a reply back from Warner!!
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Online Customer Service.

Please accept our apology for the difficulty you have experienced with this
movie.

We would be more than happy to investigate this matter further. Please
return the product to us so that our technical department can review. You
MUST return the product in it's original case and packaging. Please return
to the following address:

Sherri Bogard
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Building 154, Room 3104
Burbank, CA 91522

Again, we apologize for the difficulty you experienced and thank you for
bringing this to our attention. Once the product is received and reviewed
someone will be in touch.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Regards,
Online Customer Service

Anyone else willing to try??
hobbes

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted December 21 2004 - 04:32 AM

Thanks Matt for posting this.
Quote:
We would be more than happy to investigate this matter further. Please return the product to us so that our technical department can review. You MUST return the product in it's original case and packaging. Please return
to the following address:

Sherri Bogard
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Building 154, Room 3104
Burbank, CA 91522
That's a rough one.Posted Image

Who would be willing to give them there only copy of the movie?

Since it's Tuesday, December 21, I'm going out to get the "Surviving Christmas" DVD that was released today. - Just may buy another "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban" discPosted Image and replace it, to send them the one I know has the video interference patternsPosted Image; although I'm starting to believe they all have the problem.Posted Image

Along with disc, it would be probably smart to send a printout of this thread.

The sacrifices us dedicated videophiles have to make for the cause! Posted Image

Paul

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow