What's new

Home Media Center (1 Viewer)

rickDKS

Auditioning
I'm trying to connect a computer to my HD sattellite package. I'm looking for a way to connect the HD signal to my computer and then from my computer to my tv. Is there a way? All I have seen on the market is s-video and coax connecting videocards, but I think I need a video card with component in and out. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance. :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. Someone posted a link to one over at Tivo Community. The basic model started at $5,000. They had a more advanced card for around $8,000.

-Robert

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
I assume you are talking about a Windows PC, not an Apple PC.

This won't be much help, but is interesting.

If you had HD through your cable company, and a Mac, you could "easily" record HD programming on your computer.

According to this post your cable company is required to provide you with a firewire enabled cable box. So if they give you an additional one, you can hook it up to your computer and stream the video into your Mac. Then you can record and play them on your Mac.

There's probably some PC software out there to do this same thing - so long as you have a firewire card.

So, just switch to cable and to a Mac and it's easy. :D

Brandon

rickDKS

Auditioning
Yeah but I like windows and want to avoid cable as much as possible. Thanks though. I guess I'll have to wait for technology to catch up.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
Well you also have the option of getting your local HD signals directly to your PC. You'd just need an antenna to pick them up and you can bring the signals in to your PC with a special card like this or like this.

I don't think there is something like this that can decode the satellite signals, though. But at least you could get some HD channels on your PC - and at just the cost of the card and antenna ($250-400).

Brandon

rickDKS

Auditioning
Well basically i need a video card that has component in and component out. Has anyone heard of a card like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks