-

Photo
- - - - -

Home Media Center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 rickDKS

rickDKS

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 30 2004 - 11:06 PM

I'm trying to connect a computer to my HD sattellite package. I'm looking for a way to connect the HD signal to my computer and then from my computer to my tv. Is there a way? All I have seen on the market is s-video and coax connecting videocards, but I think I need a video card with component in and out. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance. Posted Image

#2 of 7 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 01 2004 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
I think I need a video card with component in and out
Yes. Someone posted a link to one over at Tivo Community. The basic model started at $5,000. They had a more advanced card for around $8,000.

-Robert

#3 of 7 rickDKS

rickDKS

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 01:28 AM

is there a cheaper way to go?

#4 of 7 Brandon:W

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 05:01 AM

I assume you are talking about a Windows PC, not an Apple PC.

This won't be much help, but is interesting.

If you had HD through your cable company, and a Mac, you could "easily" record HD programming on your computer.

According to this post your cable company is required to provide you with a firewire enabled cable box. So if they give you an additional one, you can hook it up to your computer and stream the video into your Mac. Then you can record and play them on your Mac.

There's probably some PC software out there to do this same thing - so long as you have a firewire card.

So, just switch to cable and to a Mac and it's easy. Posted Image

Brandon

#5 of 7 rickDKS

rickDKS

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 05:08 AM

Yeah but I like windows and want to avoid cable as much as possible. Thanks though. I guess I'll have to wait for technology to catch up.

#6 of 7 Brandon:W

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 10:39 AM

Well you also have the option of getting your local HD signals directly to your PC. You'd just need an antenna to pick them up and you can bring the signals in to your PC with a special card like this or like this.

I don't think there is something like this that can decode the satellite signals, though. But at least you could get some HD channels on your PC - and at just the cost of the card and antenna ($250-400).

Brandon

#7 of 7 rickDKS

rickDKS

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 11:01 PM

Well basically i need a video card that has component in and component out. Has anyone heard of a card like this?