Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with C Programming Assignment

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew S

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted December 01 2004 - 12:31 PM

Yeah... this semester for me is C, next semester is Java.
-
Wish I had more money

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   John Miles

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 04:14 AM

That would be like impressing your drill instructor by bringing a live grenade with you to boot camp. Posted Image

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 05:24 AM

Not if you understand what you are presenting. Posted Image

But you're right, never try to impress with something you don't know about because the instructor will make you explain what it means. That is why copy/paste isn't useful unless you understand what you are copying.

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 06:19 AM

This is specifically the reason I said the above assignment called for a sprintf and no mallocs. Most 1st semester 'C' courses I've taken (and I've taken more than one when I changed colleges - easy creditsPosted Image) don't touch dynamic allocation until very late, if at all. They also spent an inordinate amount of time on scanf, which as I said I've never used in a commercial app. They should spend more time with the 'memxxx', 'sprintf" and 'strnxxx' functions. I use these everyday, often more than any APL I use.

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:02 AM

Now I'm getting interested. Is C or C++ for that matter still worth learning these days. With Java and VB everywhere you just don't hear much about the old school languages anymore. Jeff

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

Never thought I'd see the day when 'C' would be called "old school". Guess I'm now a dinosaur like the COBOL programmers I used to make fun of. To answer the question, yes 'C' and especially C++ are good languages to learn. Both teach good programming techniques in that they do not hold your hand (i.e. mistakes are easy to make and therefore your programming skills become stronger) and there are still a few lines of code written in these (like a gazillion or so).

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:18 AM

Don't laugh. My freshman programming course at Northeastern U. was in Fortran 77 and the first project was inputting via punchcards. That was in 1984!

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:26 AM

C/C++ aren't going anywhere because of Java or VB. They have never been replacement for C/C++, just different tools for different fools.

P.S. Good speakers aren't disappearing because of Bose, are they? Posted Image

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 11:22 AM

as a student taking a first semester C course now, i find K & R quite handy. i wouldnt consider it a great learning tool, but once you have already learned how to do something, it is essential.
hmm, interesting. i didnt know it was usually done this way. my professor introduced malloc (and calloc) to us before the middle of the semester, and for first semester programmers, we have become decent at using it. i think she pushes us a little more, she was senior software engineer for GE's global medical systems operation for a few years, so it's not like we are taking the course from some jerk who learned the material a few semesters ago. anyway, i'm enjoying the class quite a bit. CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users