Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Static when turning volume on car stereo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Marcus D

Marcus D

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:41 PM

Just curious if there is any kind of static removal product that you can use on your car stereo. When I start my car in the morning, especially when it is very cold, my volume knob when make a static noise when turning up and down. Any suggestions?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted November 30 2004 - 01:21 AM

Probably gonna me dust or something in the knob mechanics. Try some electrical contact cleaner but you'll probably have to remove the head unit and break open the surrounding case to get to the offeding mechanism.
Good luck!
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted December 07 2004 - 11:16 AM

yep it's a warning it needs attention

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 03:42 AM

I personally doubt it is actually a hardware problem. It could very easily be a ground issue. If you have external amps, ground them to one location, that is stripped to bare metal and screwed tight. If you only have a headunit, slide it out and make a new ground on a solid piece of chassis following what i said earlier, it should eliminate any noise problems, if not look into it being hardware.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Dean_S

Dean_S

Second Unit

• 261 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 07:47 AM

I disagree with Jason. I think it is a dirty control and contact cleaner will take care of it, if you can get at it. Bad grounds are common problems but rarely with this exact symptom. Do what Donny suggested and work from there.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Marcus D

Marcus D

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 09:38 AM

What store can I buy this Electrical Contact Cleaner?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dean_S

Dean_S

Second Unit

• 261 posts

Posted December 31 2004 - 11:22 AM

Any industrial electronics supply or Radio Shack. I've never seen it any other way but you want a can that has a straw like a WD40 can for concentrating the spray. Disconnect from all power when using the cleaner, spray, turn the knob a number of times and let dry for a few minutes before reconnecting power. You might need to give it a few tries before it solves the problem. If it doesn't get any better after 3-5 attempts then it's probably not getting into the control or isn't going to work.