What's new

Static when turning volume on car stereo (1 Viewer)

Marcus D

Agent
Just curious if there is any kind of static removal product that you can use on your car stereo. When I start my car in the morning, especially when it is very cold, my volume knob when make a static noise when turning up and down. Any suggestions?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Probably gonna me dust or something in the knob mechanics. Try some electrical contact cleaner but you'll probably have to remove the head unit and break open the surrounding case to get to the offeding mechanism.
Good luck!

Jason Fulton

Agent
I personally doubt it is actually a hardware problem. It could very easily be a ground issue. If you have external amps, ground them to one location, that is stripped to bare metal and screwed tight. If you only have a headunit, slide it out and make a new ground on a solid piece of chassis following what i said earlier, it should eliminate any noise problems, if not look into it being hardware.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I disagree with Jason. I think it is a dirty control and contact cleaner will take care of it, if you can get at it. Bad grounds are common problems but rarely with this exact symptom. Do what Donny suggested and work from there.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Any industrial electronics supply or Radio Shack. I've never seen it any other way but you want a can that has a straw like a WD40 can for concentrating the spray. Disconnect from all power when using the cleaner, spray, turn the knob a number of times and let dry for a few minutes before reconnecting power. You might need to give it a few tries before it solves the problem. If it doesn't get any better after 3-5 attempts then it's probably not getting into the control or isn't going to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks