Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Hero

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 06:39 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 99 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:06 AM

I am at a loss as to whether or not I am going to pick this up. This would have been a definite purchase but due to the fact that I would be projecting this on a 106" screen, I think I'll pass. I can not believe in this day and age that they can not spend the time to do things right with the video. Posted Image Thanks for the review David and also for the video warning.
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#3 of 99 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for saving me some money David. I was on the fence about this release, but I am just going to stay with my HK import. Chris

#4 of 99 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:28 AM

The digitalbits also shares my basic impressions of the picture quality (with a few minor differences as would be expected):

http://www.thedigita...iews3/hero.html

Bill Hunt saw this projected theatrically so his impressions indicate to me that without a doubt, there is an electronic/digital problem taking place during disc mastering over at MIRAMAX...

#5 of 99 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:35 AM

Is it possible the reviewer at DVD Talk got a different disc???

Posted Image

DVDTalk Hero review

4.5 out of 5 for the picture. Nothing but praise it would seem. Hard to believe given David and Bill's thoughts.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#6 of 99 OFFLINE   Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:45 AM

I REFUSE to purchase this even though I LOVE the movie. B/c I have read too many bad reviews of the video quality. Thank goodness I saw it three times at the theater.

RENTAL ONLY, and I encourage you all to do the same.

this is the ONLY WAY we can show studios like Miramax that we won't settle for subpar movie transfers.

And to the reviewer: I think most studios still have a lot to learn about video transfers. Even the LOTR films could have looked better than they do. If you need proof, go to the website of Bjoern_Roy, the esteemed poster on this forum, at www.videophile.info.

#7 of 99 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:57 AM

I'm willing to bet same disc, but a different (smaller) TV. Posted Image

#8 of 99 OFFLINE   Gavin_L

Gavin_L

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:00 AM

might just have to pick this up for the fun it.... thanks for the dvd review...

#9 of 99 OFFLINE   Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:05 AM

I'll stick with my legit Chinese import. The DTS is incredible and I'm more than satisfied with the picture quality. By the way, why is it just Jet Lee and Zhang Ziyi on the cover? Lame.
"Make ready, for this is our first and final battle..."

#10 of 99 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:06 AM

Actually, the best way is to import the region 0 version from Hong Kong, and keep MiramAXE completly out of the loop. Chris

#11 of 99 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,815 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:08 AM

Owning one of the HK imports I'm interested to see comparisons on DVD Beaver or some such. Even better if someone can provide some now.

#12 of 99 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:09 AM

Anybody have the R0 Hong Kong version (near where I live in DC) to compare? I'd love to put it up against the R1 Miramax version on my projector and do an A/B shoot-out... -dave

#13 of 99 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,470 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:18 AM

nope, doesnt make sense.
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 99 OFFLINE   Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:27 AM

I too will stick with my Chinese import. Picture and sound suited me just fine. Thanks for the review Dave.

BTW if you like Hero go see House of the Flying Daggers Dec. 3 I haven't seen it myself but I have heard it's as good if not better than Hero (and it's from Sony Classics, not Miram-AXE.Posted Image)

#15 of 99 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,815 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:32 AM

I enjoyed it more than Hero and anyone just looking for martial arts action won't be disappointed (unless they hate wirework and use of CGI, but then they wouldn't like Hero either). I bought the R3 release when it came out b/c it was cheap, but the transfer is not so hot. I can't wait to see it on the big screen. I didn't get around to going to the theater with Hero, which basically indicates I liked Hero, but not enough to get off my couch.

#16 of 99 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:33 AM

Wonder how *far back* he's sitting from the 55inch set? If it's greater than 2 screen-widths away, chances are the image will start to look much better, as it did with Cold Mountain and English Patient as well (which got praise from some, and critisim from others). In any case...anyone "in the doubt" arrange a time to come to my place and we can view scenes from HERO back-to-back with some other *properly* mastered discs and you won't have any difficulty seeing the difference!

#17 of 99 OFFLINE   Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 08:47 AM

In my opinion, House of Flying Daggers is poor compared to Hero. On its own, though, it's decent entertainment. The story is essentially Crouching Tiger meets Cruel Intentions. It's a soap opera with martial arts scenes. It doesn't approach the grandeur of Hero. Still, Ziyi looks stunning in it, and some scenes (an early dance scene, a fight in a bamboo forest) are great.

#18 of 99 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,815 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 29 2004 - 09:00 AM

I agree that HofD is not as profound or thought provoking as Hero, the former being more an entertainment piece as you mentioned. Usually I warn people about Hero because I imagine most go in expecting a purely martial arts action film.

#19 of 99 OFFLINE   Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,185 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 09:33 AM

Ordinarily, I would have picked up Hero in a heartbeat, but because it was Miramax I held off until reviews of the video came out. Looks like I made the right move. Sad. Posted Image

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#20 of 99 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 10:35 AM

If you asked most Americans who Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Daoming Chen or Donnie Yen were, they'd scratch their heads. BTW, it's Jet Li, not Jet Lee. Posted Image

I think Hero is boring, House of Flying Daggers is better. However, neither of them are better than two other works of Zhang Yimou that I've seen, Red Sorghum and To Live.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users