What's new

I have about $800 for a stereo receiver. . . . . (1 Viewer)

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a receiver for under $800. If I can a good one for less that would be great!

It will be used for music only.

I like NAD and Marantz but don't know which models would be good because they all have home theater stuff in them. I don't mind an AV receiver, I just don't know which to get that is best for music.

Both NAD and Marantz both make a stereo only receiver for about $300 but I don't know the quality of them in comparison to the more expensive models (which are AV).

I appreciate any help you can give.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Do you need a tuner? If radio is not important, then I suggest you look into a nice integrated amp.

Within your price range you can get one from Cambridge Audio, NAD or Arcam (probably listed in ascending order of price, would have to verify). Each of these brands has an excellent reputation for audio quality. I've had the pleasure of living with the Arcam A65+ integrated amplifier for about a week (a loaner from my dealer while awaiting delivery of my receiver) and if I were not interested in M/C music, I would have kept it. Haven't heard the other two, but if the Cambridge integrated is half as good as the 540D DVD player (that I own), it's worth more than it's asking price (they have two models, but I believe the better model is well within your budget). I've read good things about the NAD, both in pro reviews and owner reviews, but I have no direct experience with the brand.

Good luck.

Note also that both Cambridge and NAD offer at least one model that would allow you to afford an external tuner and still respect your budget, should a tuner be important to you. Moreover, each integrated can support an external tuner so you could add one at a later date, when budget permits, should you choose a more expensive model now.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I thought about the integrated amp. However, I'm not sure if that's the way I should go. Let me know what you think: I will want a tuner (if I don't have a radio the wifey will kick me). Also, I'm no audiophile and most of my music is heavy metal with some jazz fusion. So, considering that do you think the integrated amp is more than I need or should I definitely go that way? Will I see a big difference?

EDIT: Perhaps I should get the integrated amp and just buy a real cheap tuner later?

I like NAD - I'm interested in which models you consider to be good choices.

Thanks!

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I have a NAD L40 which is an excellent all-in-one unit: amp, tuner, and CD player. It is 2-channel and makes fantastic music. I bought it as a refurb from a dealer in Mass.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You don't need to be an "audiophile" to appreciate good, reasonably priced gear. Any of the brands I mentioned will give you very good sound. The Arcam is priced such that a tuner is probably out of reach within your budget, but the Cambridge line offers you some possibilities.

Here is a link to an online dealer. I've never dealt with them, so I don't endorse them, but their prices are within the normal range and you can see the products. They offer NAD and Cambridge gear. I've linked to the Cambridge gear page to show you you can get the T500 tuner with either the 540A or 640A within your budget (assuming you already have a CD player). If I had the budget, I'd go with the integrated plus tuner route, largely because the few remaining stereo receiver options out there can't match the quality for price (most stereo receivers are rather inexpensive and the quality is simply not there anymore).

online dealer

Hope this helps, and good luck.

kevitra

Second Unit
If you are looking into NAD check out yawaaudio.com. The prices on the website are MSRP but if you email them they will email you a quote. They have great prices. I have purchased three NAD items from them and they have been great to deal with.

Besides being a customer I have no affiliation with them.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
If I went into all separates which models from NAD/Marantz should I look at in my price range? ($800).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also vote for an integrated. I have the Marantz PM-7000 integrated and it is an excellent unit. Built like a tank and has an absolute ton of power, despite it's modest rating of 95w. I picked it up for $350 as a demo, used are going for about $300.

Yawa is a good place for NAD. DEFINITELY email or call them for prices. C320 would be a good choice. The site is:

www.yawaonline.com

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
saturdayaudio.com is the best priced authorized dealer I found for NAD.

I say go with integraed. I was in the same situation you were earlier this year. I ended up buying a NAD C370(precursor to the C372) and I love it. At the same time, I picked up a 6yr old denon digital tuner on ebay for $30 shipped.

I went with the C370 because I thought I needed the 120 x 2. Well, the volume knob rarely gets over 1/4. I should have went with the C320BEE. It's rated at 50 x 2, but NAD rates their stuff on the light side. I think whathifi tested one at 80 x 2. The C320BEE is only $399 msrp.

If a single remote is important to you the NAD remote will also control a C422 tuner. They go for $200-$220. Right there you're at max $550+shipping. Compare that to Denon's DRA-685 reciever which is $500 and it wasn't even a choice after I heard them side by side.

NAD seperates:
C162 preamp
http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...62_framset.htm

C272 amp
http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...72_framset.htm

NAD integrated amps:
C372
http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...72_framset.htm

C352
http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...52_framset.htm

C320BEE
http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...EE_framset.htm

Check out http://www.nadelectronics.com/

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I have a C320BEE, and it's a wonderful piece. I was driving Paradigm Studio 20's for a while, at loud volumes, with no problem at at. I also briefly testing it with Studio 100's, and it did a great job for such an inexpensive integrated.

Martin.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about the NAD 372, 370 or 352. I'm hoping to find one of them used or refurbed.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I know the 270 was before the 272. What was before the current 352? 350?

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking I don't need the power of the 370/372. Will there be any sound quality difference between the 352 and 252? Is there any dif between them and the 270's?

Thanks!

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
I don't hear a difference between my 370 and 270. I have tried the c320bee in my setup and it was very similar at lower volumes. I actually preferred the low volume sound of the C320bee over my C370. There is less difference in volume per button push of the remote which made it easier to find that perfect position. At low level with the C370, every push of the volume makes a big difference. It gets annoying.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I also have the NAD C320BEE and it is very awesome. You can find them for around $300 or less used. I got mine for $275 shipped to my door. Don't let the 50WPC fool you. I am driving Paradigm Studio 40's.
What speakers do YOU have BTW?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks