What's new

Spider-Man 2, which version??!! (1 Viewer)

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so this tuesday, you can pick 3 different ways to get your Spidey fix. Superbit, 2-Disc SE, or Giftset (which includes the 2-Disc SE). I will probably pick up the Giftset, how about everyone else?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I'm getting just the Superbit. I'm hoping that Sony will include all the extras when and if they release the rumoured 2.5 version.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, a lot of Superbit love. Are the reviews saying that it's clearly better in A/V than the 2 disc SE?

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
WSR had problems with the reg version of S-M 2, though they didn't have a review copy of the SB version...they hoped and siad likely it would clear up some the issues they had the with reg. version.

I hope they are correct. I didn't see much difference between the two versions of the first film. I still plan on picking up the SB version if just for the DTS soundtrack.

Ron

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The Best Buy bonus disc is FREE with the Superbit version as well. I've read a couple of reviews saying the picture and sound quality of the SB blows the 2-disc version away so I'm definitely going with it. The ultimate presentation of picture and sound is a MUST for this movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
...OTOH my local paper gives very high marks for the extras included in the SE. Decisions, decisions!

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Superbit for now. I'll probably pick up a cheap,used copy or the the 2-disc for the supplemental material when the market is flooded with them in a few months or so.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Im gonna have this dilemma come tomorrow, too, when its time to pick up Spidey 2....Superbit or Special Edition (because of my fullscreen preference; no big set TV here yet!)...while I want the DTS track of the Superbit and probably wouldnt watch the supplements anyway, I still want the fullscreen presentation, and there is also the factor that my DVD of the first film is of the regular two disc Special Edition; so if I get the Superbit of 2, its going to have to sit on a different shelf from 1, and thats gonna look awkward (because my DVD rack doesnt hold the bigger boxes Superbits come in so I need to store them on top of my entertainment center).

I'm still up in the air about this one.:confused:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Bigger boxes????? Last time I check my 8-9 SB DVD's they where in the same size keepcases as the rest of my collection. Even if you keep it in the silver slipcover which comes with the DVD, the size shouldn't matter. It doesn't change anything as far as space consumption.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"Why would you want the fullscreen version anyway? I don't have a big screen tv either(32 inch 4x3), yet all my movies are viewed in their OAR be it 2.35:1, 1.85:1, or 1.33:1(Pre-1954 or when applicable). Go with the widescreen version as that is what was presented in the theaters."

Well, I dont EVEN have a 32", I have a 27" Sony Trinitron and I just find the black areas distracting on a set as small as mine --- but DO NOT get me wrong here: I am NO advocate for fullscreen and I understand that information is being cut left and right of the image...I just find it easier on my eyes to watch fullscreen on MY set, that's all.

"Bigger boxes????? Last time I check my 8-9 SB DVD's they where in the same size keepcases as the rest of my collection. Even if you keep it in the silver slipcover which comes with the DVD, the size shouldn't matter. It doesn't change anything as far as space consumption."

Well, see, I have a couple of those DVD racks that stand against the wall and you put the DVDs straight in, not on their sides...these racks will ONLY hold the standard keepcase sized discs; sometimes, I can get bigger ones in there such as the slipcases for Dawn of the Dead and Day After Tomorrow, but for whatever reason, my Superbit discs DO NOT fit in these racks at all. They seem too bulky.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I guess you dont mind then the Dolby Digital audio track on the two disc set instead of the DTS on the Superbit?

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I"m doing SuperBit... it costs a little more at BB, but maybe my discount will help.... with a big screen I need all the bits I can get :-D

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not buying any of these movies... it's blatantly obvious that they're all going to be rereleased 50 billion times and than repackaged as movie gift sets whenever the franchise runs dry.

James D

Second Unit
Pat_TL- Is your 27" Sony a Wega? If it has the 16:9 enhancement mode, then you really should get the widescreen version. The picture quality is far superior in the enhancement mode. I would recommend that you buy widescreen anyway. You'll eventually get a bigger display and then you'll have to rebuy your entire collection.:)

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
James,

No, my Sony isnt a Wega....this set is a good five years old. Its a really nice Trinitron, though. Still running fine.

With regard to replacing my DVD collection, its funny because I have taken fullscreen DVDs over to my parents' house in Las Vegas, where they have a 55" Mitsubishi screen, and played the fullscreen DVDs and they played just fine, filling the entire screen....Im assuming this is because of a setting their TV is on, but it looked just fine. Seemed I was able to play fullscreen DVDs on their widescreen set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks