-

Photo

Spider-Man 2, which version??!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
306 replies to this topic

#1 of 307 JavierS

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 10:57 AM

Ok, so this tuesday, you can pick 3 different ways to get your Spidey fix. Superbit, 2-Disc SE, or Giftset (which includes the 2-Disc SE). I will probably pick up the Giftset, how about everyone else?

#2 of 307 Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 11:27 AM

i got the gift set and superbit

#3 of 307 Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 11:32 AM

I'm getting just the Superbit. I'm hoping that Sony will include all the extras when and if they release the rumoured 2.5 version.

#4 of 307 JavierS

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 12:14 PM

Wow, a lot of Superbit love. Are the reviews saying that it's clearly better in A/V than the 2 disc SE?

#5 of 307 Ron Boster

Ron Boster

Screenwriter

• 1,151 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 12:49 PM

WSR had problems with the reg version of S-M 2, though they didn't have a review copy of the SB version...they hoped and siad likely it would clear up some the issues they had the with reg. version.

I hope they are correct. I didn't see much difference between the two versions of the first film. I still plan on picking up the SB version if just for the DTS soundtrack.

Ron

#6 of 307 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 03:14 PM

I'll get the SE first as there is a Best Buy bonus disc available for this one plus I like extras.....I'll get the SB at a later date for the dts.
Recently watched- The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"You are slower than molasses in January."

#7 of 307 Gavin_L

Gavin_L

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 03:23 PM

2 disc se

#8 of 307 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 07:21 PM

The Best Buy bonus disc is FREE with the Superbit version as well. I've read a couple of reviews saying the picture and sound quality of the SB blows the 2-disc version away so I'm definitely going with it. The ultimate presentation of picture and sound is a MUST for this movie. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#9 of 307 JavierS

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 07:26 PM

Quote:
I've read a couple of reviews saying the picture and sound quality of the SB blows the 2-disc version away so I'm definitely going with it

Can you please post some links?

#10 of 307 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 10:33 PM

...OTOH my local paper gives very high marks for the extras included in the SE. Decisions, decisions!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#11 of 307 Tony Scello

Tony Scello

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 12:39 AM

Superbit for now. I'll probably pick up a cheap,used copy or the the 2-disc for the supplemental material when the market is flooded with them in a few months or so.
"Something beyond comprehension is happening to a little girl on this street, in this house. A man has been called for as a last resort to try and save her. That man is The Exorcist."

#12 of 307 Pat_TL

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, Im gonna have this dilemma come tomorrow, too, when its time to pick up Spidey 2....Superbit or Special Edition (because of my fullscreen preference; no big set TV here yet!)...while I want the DTS track of the Superbit and probably wouldnt watch the supplements anyway, I still want the fullscreen presentation, and there is also the factor that my DVD of the first film is of the regular two disc Special Edition; so if I get the Superbit of 2, its going to have to sit on a different shelf from 1, and thats gonna look awkward (because my DVD rack doesnt hold the bigger boxes Superbits come in so I need to store them on top of my entertainment center).

I'm still up in the air about this one.Posted Image

#13 of 307 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
The Best Buy bonus disc is FREE with the Superbit version as well.

The ads up here specify the SE version.....however, I might try to get the SB and ask for the bonus disc (if it is separate and not in the case). The sales clerks there might let it go...if so - Superbit for me!Posted Image The SE will probably be discounted for boxing day sales or I could get it through Columbia House to complete my enrollment.
Recently watched- The Warrior's Way, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"You are slower than molasses in January."

#14 of 307 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:15 AM

Quote:
Superbit or Special Edition (because of my fullscreen preference; no big set TV here yet!)

Pat,

Why would you want the fullscreen version anyway? I don't have a big screen tv either(32 inch 4x3), yet all my movies are viewed in their OAR be it 2.35:1, 1.85:1, or 1.33:1(Pre-1954 or when applicable). Go with the widescreen version as that is what was presented in the theaters.

Quote:
and thats gonna look awkward (because my DVD rack doesnt hold the bigger boxes Superbits come in so I need to store them on top of my entertainment center).

Bigger boxes????? Last time I check my 8-9 SB DVD's they where in the same size keepcases as the rest of my collection. Even if you keep it in the silver slipcover which comes with the DVD, the size shouldn't matter. It doesn't change anything as far as space consumption.

#15 of 307 Pat_TL

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:22 AM

"Why would you want the fullscreen version anyway? I don't have a big screen tv either(32 inch 4x3), yet all my movies are viewed in their OAR be it 2.35:1, 1.85:1, or 1.33:1(Pre-1954 or when applicable). Go with the widescreen version as that is what was presented in the theaters."

Well, I dont EVEN have a 32", I have a 27" Sony Trinitron and I just find the black areas distracting on a set as small as mine --- but DO NOT get me wrong here: I am NO advocate for fullscreen and I understand that information is being cut left and right of the image...I just find it easier on my eyes to watch fullscreen on MY set, that's all.

"Bigger boxes????? Last time I check my 8-9 SB DVD's they where in the same size keepcases as the rest of my collection. Even if you keep it in the silver slipcover which comes with the DVD, the size shouldn't matter. It doesn't change anything as far as space consumption."

Well, see, I have a couple of those DVD racks that stand against the wall and you put the DVDs straight in, not on their sides...these racks will ONLY hold the standard keepcase sized discs; sometimes, I can get bigger ones in there such as the slipcases for Dawn of the Dead and Day After Tomorrow, but for whatever reason, my Superbit discs DO NOT fit in these racks at all. They seem too bulky.

#16 of 307 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:33 AM

For me, it's the 2-disc widescreen SE set with the bonus disc at Best Buy. That's the only way to go. Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#17 of 307 Pat_TL

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:37 AM

Bill,

I guess you dont mind then the Dolby Digital audio track on the two disc set instead of the DTS on the Superbit?

#18 of 307 RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:51 AM

I"m doing SuperBit... it costs a little more at BB, but maybe my discount will help.... with a big screen I need all the bits I can get :-D
Roman Sohor, CTS

#19 of 307 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:52 AM

I'm not buying any of these movies... it's blatantly obvious that they're all going to be rereleased 50 billion times and than repackaged as movie gift sets whenever the franchise runs dry.

#20 of 307 James D

James D

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 02:40 AM

Pat_TL- Is your 27" Sony a Wega? If it has the 16:9 enhancement mode, then you really should get the widescreen version. The picture quality is far superior in the enhancement mode. I would recommend that you buy widescreen anyway. You'll eventually get a bigger display and then you'll have to rebuy your entire collection.Posted Image

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow