What's new

What happened to 1492:Conquest of Paradise DVD? (1 Viewer)

Nick^M

Auditioning
Hi all,

My first post here. I signed up because I can not find any answers to my question anywhere on the Internet.

Ridley Scott's "1492:Conquest of Paradise" was supposed to be released on November 16, 2004. However, it is still nowhere to be seen. Does anyone know when this DVD will be released for the North American market?

Thanks.

Nick^M

Auditioning
Yea, they have it available everywhere but USA. The Special Edition was supposed to be available in the US on November 16, but it got pushed back for some reason.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My first post here.
Welcome!
I've moved your thread to HT Software - Film and Documentary, which is where most discussions of DVD take place. (TV on DVD has its own area.) If there's any information on this title, I'm sure someone here will know.
M.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Maybe they are waiting for Kingdom of Heaven to come out. My guess would be next summer or next winter when KOH comes out on DVD.

Nick^M

Auditioning
Hummm, I don't know. I am surprised why many people are not interested in this DVD....it may be one of Scott's best "shot" films. After all, it's still the best music score ever used in a film! All my opinions, of course.....

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'd love to have this on DVD.

I think it's Ridley's EMPIRE OF THE SUN, you know?

I didn't even know it was expected so soon (now). I guess I'll keep my eye out for it. And you know how painful that can be.

MC

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
It was announced and then postponned without a new date. Charlie de L. has stated he's working on a few Ridley SEs at the moment, and my feelings is that these are Black Rain and another one. 1492 was supposed to have been out sometime in November I believe withouyt any extras, and was rightfully postponned/cancelled. It needs a 2-disc SE at the very least.

Nick^M

Auditioning
Fine, but there's a problem: There are NO DVD-versions of 1492 available, and this is what ticks me off. Sure, I can get the VHS, but even that is not wide-screen.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
It was announced and then postponned without a new date. Charlie de L. has stated he's working on a few Ridley SEs at the moment, and my feelings is that these are Black Rain and another one. 1492 was supposed to have been out sometime in November I believe withouyt any extras, and was rightfully postponned/cancelled. It needs a 2-disc SE at the very least.
For the record, I'm not currently working on either "1492" or "Black Rain" SE. I haven't heard any solid information about either title. But I think they would both be great to do.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
My guess is that Paramount wants to make a Special Edition out of it. Timing it for Kingdom of Heaven would make sense. I would like to have a SE of Black Rain also. The current DVD has a awful transfer.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I read an interview with an actor from 1492 (I think it was Jack Taylor) who had a role in the film that was completely cut out. He mentioned his experience on the film in the OBSESSION-THE FILMS OF JESS FRANCO book. Aside from saying what a nice guy Ridley was, the main point of interest in his interview was where he mentioned the length of Ridley's original cut. The film was originally much longer - by at least an hour or two - and was apparently trimmed down substantially for its final release version. I'd always had the impression that there was some stuff missing from the final film (given the choppiness of a couple of scenes) and if this was the case it'd be a shame if they didn't attempt some sort of longer cut for a S.E DVD. (If they can restore LEGEND, why not 1492?).

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Hate to beat a dead horse, but this was one SE what I was really looking forward to more than is healthy. Why was this only released in R2 and R5? Would it really be too much to ask for a few copies printed in R1? And for those of you who got this release in another region, exactly how much coolness are we missing out on? :) Cheers.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Was there only one running time ever for this film? I saw it in the theater opening night, and then eventually on VHS years back, and I remember that the VHS version seemed much shorter to me.

I almost think I saw some scenes in the theater that were missing on VHS. Probably just dreaming or something.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I had a S-VHS copy (widescreen), made off the mixing board for the THX LD. Best sounding soundtrack experience I've had too this day. The S-VHS THX scenes from the ambush in Forrest Gump & the tiger in Apocalypse Now, although powerful, did not have the openness of 1492. Also, enjoyed the look & feel of the film. Would love too see a great transfer (sound & visuals) on HD.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Black Rain SE: Black Rain was on the list of HD DVD titles to be announced by Paramount. I can't imagine they'll put out an SE of Black Rain at all on DVD. I could guess that 1492 might go that same route but I don't remember it being on the list. If so then I would consider it delayed until then IMHO.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
A soft *bump* to this thread, since we're talking about BLADE RUNNER again.

Any news on 1492?

Anything at all?

MC

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The film was originally much longer - by at least an hour or two - and was apparently trimmed down substantially for its final release version. I'd always had the impression that there was some stuff missing from the final film (given the choppiness of a couple of scenes) and if this was the case it'd be a shame if they didn't attempt some sort of longer cut for a S.E DVD. (If they can restore LEGEND, why not 1492?).
Many of the international DVDs are longer and feature several scenes trimmed from the U.S. release. The Aussie disc I have is, I believe, about 8 mins. longer once you factor in the PAL speed-up issue. They could certainly release this longer version if nothing else, but last I heard, Paramount only had it "on the drawing board" when listing a group of their 2005 titles, and I've seen nothing since sadly.

Miles

Second Unit
Bump.... I'd have loved to see this on DVD, but now it may as well be HD-DVD. I guess they "missed the boat" on this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks