What's new

Yamaha dvd 750 (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Well I had my hopes set on the Onkyo 802 uni. changer, but after that didn't fare so well over at "Secrets", I am starting to look at this player.
I have never been a Yamaha fan though, so I am a bit leary.
Anyone have any thoughts?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Excellent brand, good word of mouth coming out on this unit already. Specs wise, you get more bang for your buck, imho.

I demoed it myself last week and came to an easy conclusion: If I were in the market right now for something like this, I'd buy this unit. :emoji_thumbsup:

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I currently use a Yamaha DVD-C920.I bought it because it has Burr-Brown DACs and the Faruodja video chip, but it's DVD-Audio only. Does anyone know if the 750 uses similar audio and video processors. Thanks

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I looked at this player this weekend, only briefly before the sales people at the Good Guys came swarming over.
I can't believe how tiny it is. It had some weight to it I think, but it looked the most cheesy out of all the other players actually. I would be embarrassed, almost, to have it in my rack.
Joe, I don't think this player has the BBrown or the Faroudja stuff. I have not read or heard about either.
Maybe it's just a sleeper. Perhaps I'll wait to see if CES brings about anything.
Did I mention I was sick of waiting?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Understood about build quality, but did you actually take this pup for a whirl? ;)

This thing has much better build quality than a lot of these $200 players that you see all over the place. Were you expecting the build quality of an Onkyo DV-SP 1000? ;) It's a $300 player for cryin' out loud! :D

Features and price range, this is probably the best DVD changer on the market right now or one of them.

Look!
http://www.yamaha.com/copyyec/products/DVD/DVD_C750.htm

Secrets isn't going to tell you jack squat about the audio, and frankly, you shouldn't hang your hat on what any one source tells you. You need to make a determination for yourself. This thing isn't going to make it in their tests up against $2000+ flagship players, so I'm not sure what you're really expecting to take from that test. It's going to bomb like the Onkyo 802 did and the Yamaha s1500 and any other player that's not at least a thousand dollars. You can count on it

This Yamaha has better video DACs than the Onkyo 802 does, so you may as well take it for what it's worth and choose your spot.

Even at MSRP, that thing is stacked. If you can get it at $300 or below, you really shouldn't hesitate, imho. It's a steal below $300 for sure. If Good Guys has a good exchange and return policy, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't take this thing home and try it out. Haggle and get them to sell it to you at $299 or something. You really can't go wrong at that rate.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Eric, that is what I am thinking. At 3 bills it's almost a throw away player. I might wait 'til closer to Christmas to see if it goes on a good sale or somthing.
I'm thinking I might just use it for audio, but then would the Onkyo be better?
The Denon changers albiet they were not uni's had far more substance to them as far as size and such IN the same price range. Hell even Yamaha's own changers, @ $300.00 have more substance. Were they trying to do the streamline thing?
Do you have any idea if it is available in silver?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Unsure. Onkyo and Yamaha both usually offer silver and black for their units. I'd really take a long look at both units' home spec sheets. Decide what you want, flip a coin, and get the best deal possible on either the Yamaha 750 or Onkyo 802. Both will serve you very well for audio purposes. :)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Ok, so I'm still hunting around for more thoughts on the 750 and I come across the DVC 6770. It's not on the Yam website except for a manual. It seems to be the same thing. Except that it comes in silver which I am more inclined to want. I tried looking in older models and nothing there.
What gives?

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the C750 last weekend.
I havent had too much time with it but so far it is a really nice unit, especially for the money.
I did own the panasonic f87, but the video quality wasnt what I was looking for.
The yamaha is a much better unit IMO, and you really get a lot for your money

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

It is the same product very likely. Yamaha, like some other brands, have two versions of the same product they sell. One branch goes to places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and places like that. The other goes to outright electronic specialty dealers like a Tweeter, Ovation, or anyone like that.

Essentially the same product, yes.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I may not be the best to describe what you are looking for. But Ill give you this,
The disc change speed I find to be average. Yes I would love it to be faster, but I also havent found a five disc player yet that was extremely fast.
The layer change is fine. I have no problem with it. I think you need to see it for yourself, as everyone has different preferences.
So basically, my knowledge is useless

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Thanks Eric and Chris (well not really you Chris. (Just kidding )

I think I'll be picking up this player as soon my body hair sells at the wig store.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
directions please, as I am in the market for
a....ummmmm ....body hair wig.

Its a great player let us know what you think

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Good luck! :) By all rights, I think you're going to be very happy with this unit, based on your descriptions of what you wanted.

Jer_S

Auditioning
Does anyone know what chipset this uses? I am in the market for a new player, my RP82 has an H02 error.

-Jerry

IanO

Auditioning
I'm trying to find out which MPEG-2 decoder/de-interlacer chip it is using right now...Waiting to hear from Yamaha Canada(they have to get the info from Japan) - Unless anyone is brave enough to open theirs' up???

This player can also be made region free:

1. Power up
2. Open tray
3. Press "On Screen"
4. Press 99990 (0 is for region free - you can change to whatever you want)
5. Press enter
6. It should now say Region:0 on the top left(along with firmware, etc.)
6. Close tray
7. Play and enjoy!

I'm having an issue with HDCDs - apparently this player recognizes HDCDs from regular CDs(even though HDCD decoding isn't listed as a feature!). Basically, the audio will cut out for a fraction of a second near the beginning of an HDCD track - it varies on which track per CD, but it is reproducible. I do have one HDCD where I did not hear any dropouts...maybe newer revision of the HDCD standards? Anyone else want to test? I had the dropouts on some Avex Trax HDCDs(Ayumi Hamasaki) and the City of Angels Soundtrack. Regular CDs work fine...

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator
IanO, I *think* I have one HDCD, I'll try it out tonight. Say, do the dropouts happen with both analog and digital outputs from the DVD player?

BTW, thanks for the region free info.

Users who are viewing this thread