-

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha dvd 750

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted November 24 2004 - 04:50 PM

Well I had my hopes set on the Onkyo 802 uni. changer, but after that didn't fare so well over at "Secrets", I am starting to look at this player.
I have never been a Yamaha fan though, so I am a bit leary.
Anyone have any thoughts?

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted November 25 2004 - 02:34 AM

Excellent brand, good word of mouth coming out on this unit already. Specs wise, you get more bang for your buck, imho.

I demoed it myself last week and came to an easy conclusion: If I were in the market right now for something like this, I'd buy this unit. Posted Image

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   JoeHard

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted November 25 2004 - 03:42 AM

I currently use a Yamaha DVD-C920.I bought it because it has Burr-Brown DACs and the Faruodja video chip, but it's DVD-Audio only. Does anyone know if the 750 uses similar audio and video processors. Thanks

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 04:44 AM

I looked at this player this weekend, only briefly before the sales people at the Good Guys came swarming over.
I can't believe how tiny it is. It had some weight to it I think, but it looked the most cheesy out of all the other players actually. I would be embarrassed, almost, to have it in my rack.
Joe, I don't think this player has the BBrown or the Faroudja stuff. I have not read or heard about either.
Maybe it's just a sleeper. Perhaps I'll wait to see if CES brings about anything.
Did I mention I was sick of waiting?

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 07:55 AM

Understood about build quality, but did you actually take this pup for a whirl? Posted Image

This thing has much better build quality than a lot of these $200 players that you see all over the place. Were you expecting the build quality of an Onkyo DV-SP 1000? Posted Image It's a $300 player for cryin' out loud! Posted Image

Features and price range, this is probably the best DVD changer on the market right now or one of them.

Look!
http://www.yamaha.co...VD/DVD_C750.htm

Secrets isn't going to tell you jack squat about the audio, and frankly, you shouldn't hang your hat on what any one source tells you. You need to make a determination for yourself. This thing isn't going to make it in their tests up against $2000+ flagship players, so I'm not sure what you're really expecting to take from that test. It's going to bomb like the Onkyo 802 did and the Yamaha s1500 and any other player that's not at least a thousand dollars. You can count on it

This Yamaha has better video DACs than the Onkyo 802 does, so you may as well take it for what it's worth and choose your spot.

Even at MSRP, that thing is stacked. If you can get it at $300 or below, you really shouldn't hesitate, imho. It's a steal below $300 for sure. If Good Guys has a good exchange and return policy, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't take this thing home and try it out. Haggle and get them to sell it to you at $299 or something. You really can't go wrong at that rate.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 09:49 AM

Eric, that is what I am thinking. At 3 bills it's almost a throw away player. I might wait 'til closer to Christmas to see if it goes on a good sale or somthing.
I'm thinking I might just use it for audio, but then would the Onkyo be better?
The Denon changers albiet they were not uni's had far more substance to them as far as size and such IN the same price range. Hell even Yamaha's own changers, @ $300.00 have more substance. Were they trying to do the streamline thing?
Do you have any idea if it is available in silver?

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 12:19 PM

Quote:
ChrisHeflen wrote:
Eric, that is what I am thinking. At 3 bills it's almost a throw away player. I might wait 'til closer to Christmas to see if it goes on a good sale or somthing.

Good idea. I could easily see you getting away under $300 for this player.

Quote:

I'm thinking I might just use it for audio, but then would the Onkyo be better?

Flip a coin. They're both excellent audio machine for sure. Both of these companies make their bread and butter in audio. You know neither one of them are going to screw that up.

Seriously, if you're going to do it just for audio, they're pretty much a dead heat, I'd really flip a coin and see where you get the best deal on which unit at that rate. I like both brands a lot, especially for audio.

Quote:

The Denon changers albiet they were not uni's had far more substance to them as far as size and such IN the same price range. Hell even Yamaha's own changers, @ $300.00 have more substance. Were they trying to do the streamline thing?

Yes. They were trying to make it more slim like the Samsung units or the Zenith units and some of these others <$200 units.

I like good build quality and am pretty picky about it. On that note, audio wise, you may end up favoring the Onkyo 802 instead. I know that thing's built well for sure. I was impressed with it, also.

I didn't think the Yamaha 750 was a POS by any means, though when I saw it. I think it's almost a dead heat here, with the Yamaha getting the edge with slightly better video DACS.

Quote:

Do you have any idea if it is available in silver?

Unsure. Onkyo and Yamaha both usually offer silver and black for their units. I'd really take a long look at both units' home spec sheets. Decide what you want, flip a coin, and get the best deal possible on either the Yamaha 750 or Onkyo 802. Both will serve you very well for audio purposes. Posted Image

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 06:36 AM

Ok, so I'm still hunting around for more thoughts on the 750 and I come across the DVC 6770. It's not on the Yam website except for a manual. It seems to be the same thing. Except that it comes in silver which I am more inclined to want. I tried looking in older models and nothing there.
What gives?

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCollins

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 07:37 AM

I picked up the C750 last weekend.
I havent had too much time with it but so far it is a really nice unit, especially for the money.
I did own the panasonic f87, but the video quality wasnt what I was looking for.
The yamaha is a much better unit IMO, and you really get a lot for your money

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 07:48 AM

Chris, can you comment on the layer change speeds and disc change speeds?

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
Ok, so I'm still hunting around for more thoughts on the 750 and I come across the DVC 6770. It's not on the Yam website except for a manual. It seems to be the same thing. Except that it comes in silver which I am more inclined to want. I tried looking in older models and nothing there.
What gives?

It is the same product very likely. Yamaha, like some other brands, have two versions of the same product they sell. One branch goes to places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and places like that. The other goes to outright electronic specialty dealers like a Tweeter, Ovation, or anyone like that.

Essentially the same product, yes.

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCollins

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 08:11 AM

Chris,
I may not be the best to describe what you are looking for. But Ill give you this,
The disc change speed I find to be average. Yes I would love it to be faster, but I also havent found a five disc player yet that was extremely fast.
The layer change is fine. I have no problem with it. I think you need to see it for yourself, as everyone has different preferences.
So basically, my knowledge is useless

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Eric and Chris (well not really you Chris. (Just kidding )

I think I'll be picking up this player as soon my body hair sells at the wig store.

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCollins

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:22 AM

directions please, as I am in the market for
a....ummmmm ....body hair wig.

Its a great player let us know what you think

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:23 AM

Good luck! Posted Image By all rights, I think you're going to be very happy with this unit, based on your descriptions of what you wanted.

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 09:51 AM

Thanks! I hope your right.

Hey, one last ? Do you know if it has 3/2 pulldown?

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted December 02 2004 - 12:45 PM

http://www.yamaha.co....ls/DVDC750.pdf

This might be of the most use to you.

#18 of 61 OFFLINE   Jer_S

Jer_S

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 02 2005 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone know what chipset this uses? I am in the market for a new player, my RP82 has an H02 error.

-Jerry

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   IanO

IanO

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:54 AM

I'm trying to find out which MPEG-2 decoder/de-interlacer chip it is using right now...Waiting to hear from Yamaha Canada(they have to get the info from Japan) - Unless anyone is brave enough to open theirs' up???

This player can also be made region free:

1. Power up
2. Open tray
3. Press "On Screen"
4. Press 99990 (0 is for region free - you can change to whatever you want)
5. Press enter
6. It should now say Region:0 on the top left(along with firmware, etc.)
6. Close tray
7. Play and enjoy!

I'm having an issue with HDCDs - apparently this player recognizes HDCDs from regular CDs(even though HDCD decoding isn't listed as a feature!). Basically, the audio will cut out for a fraction of a second near the beginning of an HDCD track - it varies on which track per CD, but it is reproducible. I do have one HDCD where I did not hear any dropouts...maybe newer revision of the HDCD standards? Anyone else want to test? I had the dropouts on some Avex Trax HDCDs(Ayumi Hamasaki) and the City of Angels Soundtrack. Regular CDs work fine...

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   Howard_You

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 04:13 AM

IanO, I *think* I have one HDCD, I'll try it out tonight. Say, do the dropouts happen with both analog and digital outputs from the DVD player?

BTW, thanks for the region free info.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow