What's new

*** Official ALEXANDER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Ouch. Most of the early reviews I've read are pretty bad, but still, ouch.

This review could end up being a lot more entertaining than the film itself.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You know, that's a good question. Cat Woman was really crappy. But it was so camp you could laugh at it. This movie takes itself so damn seriously, that it's suckiness is pretty hard to laugh at. That's the hard part. I don't mind terrible movies if they are so over the top laughable there is at least the ability to enjoy them. This film lays there like an underpaid hooker and never seems to get up.

I guess it depends on what you consider a bad film, though.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Poor Oliver Stone. I heard the movie was a labour of love for him, which he spent years working on. I can completely understand why some people criticize him, but I have a lot of respect for him because of such work of his as Scarface (screenplay), Platoon, JFK, and Wall Street. I even liked Natural Born Killers and U-Turn, although I see why some people hate them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Alexander" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Alexander" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Haven't seen the movie, just wanted to comment that Chris just dropped one of the funniest lines I've heard in a long while. truly hilarious.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I was excited and looking forward to this movie, but after the 'obvious' critical and general consenus on this, I lost interest completely and the critic below actually echos my gut feeling:

"Alexander the Great will have to wait for another time and another director before justice can fully be achieved"

-- John A. Nesbit, CULTUREDOSE.NET

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I saw a headline calling this the "Heaven's Gate of 2004". I really don't remember a Heaven's Gate of 2003 or 2002 -- (maybe Treasure Planet qualifies) but does this have a shot at becoming the all-time money loser? Doesn't Pluto Nash hold that title right now?

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Is it the leading casts that makes it bad? To me, it's the reason why I don't want to see it. Have any other people in the leading roles and I would have rushed to see it.

There are certain actors that shouldn't be in a period film IMO.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
ALEXANDER isn't great (although it has great elements), but it's not uninteresting. There are crucial parallels to Stone's SCARFACE screenplay, as well as NIXON, and the structure quotes CITIZEN KANE. It's a personalized pop movie, which is something that audiences and critics have trouble with these days. ***/****

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks