Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

When is MGM going to step up their DVD efforts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 12:31 AM

Now that Sony has bought up MGM, are they going to step up their efforts on the DVD front? It seems only the more obvious titles are being announced for 2005 (more Leone, Hoosiers: SE, new additions of Get Shorty and Spaceballs for the sequels, etc.).

What about the less mainstream titles? For horror, they're still sitting on From Beyond, Full Moon High and Night of the Comet. They have TONS of great westerns that remain unreleased from many of the best Spaghetti directors (Corbucci, Sollima, etc.), not just Leone. They are also holding some of the remaining films of great directors like Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia or Cassavetes' A Child is Waiting, Love Streams and the biopic he starred in, I'm Almost Not Crazy.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,420 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 22 2004 - 12:46 AM

Now that Sony has bought up MGM, are they going to step up their efforts on the DVD front?

The merger won't be completed/finalized for some time, so it's influence on MGM's dvd production output won't be known for a while.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,321 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 07:15 AM

In the meantime there are United Artists titles as yet unreleased (WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT?, THE OFFENCE to name a few), and American International ones also (BURN WITCH BURN, anyone?)

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 09:36 AM

Any news on these two titles from MGM? Wondering if the will be released in the near future.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 03:33 PM

I'd say they've already started doing good work with DVDs by preparing a Get Shorty Special Edition. That was the one MGM DVD I wanted most.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 04:27 PM

Not sure about other titles, but on the two Lynch titles, so far, MGM has offered the best transfers, sound, and extras on Lynch titles (Blue Velvel SE and Wild at Heart SE) than any other company.

They far surpassed the New Line Twin Peaks: FWWM DVD in both quality and bonus material.

Silence of the Lambs was a pretty good disc as well. I have no complaints.
-John

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me DVDFight for the Deleted Scenes Petitionhttp://www.myspace.com/fwwmfight

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,575 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 04:35 PM

Quote:
The merger won't be completed/finalized for some time, so it's influence on MGM's dvd production output won't be known for a while.

Great news. There are still a few horror/cult favorites that I'm dying to have from them, and I love how MGM handles their horror/cult titles. They've released some excellent DVDs of other titles as well. On the other hand, I'm no fan of Sony's handling of their catalogue in general. MGM is a much better studio than Sony in my eyes, and it disheartens me that they bought them.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   James N

James N

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 10:32 PM

I'm glad you mentioned Love Streams. It's really a masterpiece, and in desperate need of a release.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 12:03 AM

Most importantly... how's about a complete, definitive Pink Panther cartoon collection considering just about every other country in the world has gotten one this year?

I've seen just about every form of product merchandising to cash in on the cartoon cat's 40th anniversary from action figures and toys to cd/music releases, all sorts of random items like keychains and school supplies... but where are the films?!?!?!

The UK just got a complete collection of every single Pink Panther short in a wonderful 4-disc box set with some excellent supplemental features including all of the original animated opening sequences from the live-action movies, including those that have never been released on dvd before like Clousseau, etc. and some insightful documentaries and still galleries, etc. The only MAJOR setback is the aspect ratio isincorrect... these were shot fullframe and are presented 16:9!!!

MGM - PLESE CORRECT THIS AND RELEASE A SIMILAIR COLLECTION IN R1, WE'VE BEEN WAITING EVER SO PATIENTLY!!!

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 01:00 AM

Yes, Wheres' HAWAII
A THOUSAND CLOWNS
A CHILD IS WAITING
PHAEDRA
WHATS NEW PUSSYCAT?
SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA?
BUONA SERA MRS CAMPBELL?
All UA films
Ken

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 05:24 AM

...an SE of LIFEFORCE...Posted Image
(16x9,both versions-with alternate music cues, making of, deleted scenes, Hooper comentary, etc)
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 06:02 AM

When is MGM going to step up their DVD efforts??? Did I read that correctly?????

MGM has to be the most active DVD company out there. I think they have probably released more titles than any other company. In each of the past few months it seems they have released as many titles as, say Paramount (a company that REALLY needs to step up their efforts) releases all year.

They may not have released some titles you have been interesting, but they aren't slackers.

And as for LOVE STREAMS, this was announced by them years ago, but something happened and it never was released.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted November 23 2004 - 08:58 AM

I want: A Child is Waiting (Judy Garland), Pride and Prejudice (1940), Wuthering Heights (1939), and the David Lean Collection that was announced, and then postponed for whatever reasons.

Andy

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 09:29 AM

I dont think we are going to be hearing a Hooper commentary anytime soon, I hear he wants tons of money for commentary tracks, which priced himself out of many later DVD releases of his films.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 10:48 AM

Movies Unlimited posted on their website today that March 3rd will be the release date for 6 Samuel Goldwyn movies on DVD plus the release of Cliff Robertson's Charly in widescreen presentation. Remember that it had been announced for December in a form other than widescreen.

The Goldwyn titles are: Barbary Coast with Edward G. Robinson/Joel McCrea/Miriam Hopkins
Stella Dallas with Barbara Stanwyck/Anne Shirley/John Boles
Come and Get It with Edward Arnold/Walter Brennan/Frances Farmer/Joel McCrea
Arrowsmith with Ronald Colman and Helen Hayes
Dead End with Humphrey Bogart/Sylvia Sidney/Joel McCrea/Claire Trevor and the Dead End Kids
Enchantment with Farley Granger/David Niven/Teresa Wright
Today, Movies Unlimited posted We Live Again-1934 with Fredric March and Anna Sten-the foreign born actress that Goldwyn failed to make into "his Garbo".

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 400 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted November 23 2004 - 11:19 AM

Great keep the reel classics coming!
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Guido AC

Guido AC

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 03:03 PM

A Fish Called Wanda:SE, please!

Every region has it already.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,808 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 03:35 PM

I hope the acquisition by Sony does indeed mean more and better product and not...

Superbit re-releases of an odd selection of MGM titles Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 04:09 PM

do you have the link to the moviesunlimited news?

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 07:16 PM

You say you wanted "Alfredo Garcia"?

Posted Image

16x9, DD mono, audio commentary with Peckinpah scholars Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle (with Moderator Nick Redman) and the trailer. Retail is $14.95.