Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

any ideas to keep my pup out of the xmas tree?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:00 AM

she's like 5 months old now, but still a little crackwhore and into everything, and tall so she can reach about anything she wants, so I KNOW she's going to be all over the xmas tree this year.

I'm worried about her getting a glass ball and breaking it in her mouth, so I guess we'll only decorate from about 3' and higher, but she can still jump or wiggle something down...

I've thought about roping it off but can't figure a way to do that.
I've got some of that bitter spray but I don't think I can dust the whole tree with it...

Lat year my other dog was 8 months old but a lot more "relaxed" Posted Image

Anyone want a 5 month old viszla for the holidays? :b

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   CaseyLS

CaseyLS

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:13 AM

I used to have a Viszla. I miss Hobbes :cry:

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:15 AM

I have a friend who tied the tree to the wall or fireplace somehow (to prevent tipping) and put the tree in a corner with a child gate all around the tree. You might want to avoid tinsel too. Hope that helps.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:35 AM

was hobbes a complete pain in the ass as a pup too? this dog is rediculous, I've never had a pup mature so slowly.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:37 AM

OMG tinsel? no way.

"ohh! shiny things!" *grab* *runrunrunrunrunrurnrunrunrunrun*

I have a couple child gates, but I'm afraid she can clear them with ease Posted Image

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:37 AM

If child gating the entrance to the room where the tree will be is possible, that would be a good answer. That keeps the pup out of the room entirely. Of course, the pup isn't going to like that.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:49 AM

hrm won't work I'm afraid, the only place I have room for a tree is in the dining room, centered on this railing.

http://www.whereyou.at/philip/t7.jpg

I can't block it off because there isn't really an entry way, and the GF is like 5'1 and can't get across the child gates Posted Image

Maybe we'll go treeless this year.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 02:21 PM

OK Philip, how about a 3 ft tree on a table in front of the railing. That would work.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

probably, until she decides to jump up on the table.
I think the lesson I'm learning here is "if she wants it bad enough, she'll get it" no matter what I do about it.

oddly enough my grandma has done just that for YEARS, as long as I can remember.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 02:31 PM

here's the little hungarian destroyer BTW.
Posted Image

I think the thought in her head is "what is this SIT that you speak of?"

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 03:41 PM

Little???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! She already looks bigger than than your Springer, Charlie. As far as keeping her away from the tree, a couple things come to mind. You could try mixing a little cayenne pepper with water in a spray bottle and spay the lower part of the tree. (nothing says christmas like the fresh smell of pine and pepper) Or you could try some booby traps placed under the tree. Basically a device that snaps or pops when the puppy gets close enough to activate it. I've never tried them, but hear that they are somewhat effective.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 04:26 PM

I could try that, I have some bitter spray I bought at petsmart, but it hasn't been too effective.

Well, at 14 weeks she weighed in at 33 pounds at the last vet visit, she's 5 months now so probably close to 40 Posted Image

charlie is between 35 and 40. Getting heavier, all that puppy chow she's stealing Posted Image

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 05:39 AM

I would say either don't have a tree this year (which sucks), or try to get it up off the ground a bit. We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 toddlers so we usually place the tree on a little 2 foot bench that sits under the front window. This pulls the tree (and lower ornaments) about 3 ft off the ground. Not totally safe, but pretty good for protecting most of it from the casual battering.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 05:47 AM

Whatever you do be careful with the lights. My Springer mix got ahold of my alarm clock cord one time. A taste of 120V is all it takes to cure them for a lifetime Posted Image Although the span of that lifetime may be very very short (mine survived thankfully, and now ONLY chews on her toys).
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary, and those that have friends."

#15 of 17 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,807 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 22 2004 - 06:34 AM

Hah! My youngest sister and brother-in-law have two Swissies. The youngest is over a year old and still isn't housebroken. Of course, he's AKC certified, and on his way to being a Westminster competitor. Typical supermodel -- beautiful but dumb as rocks Posted Image (And he weights about 150 lbs.)

But I've got no useful advice to keep your dog from eating your Christmas tree. My sister, with the Swissies, tried the bitter apple repellent to keep the dogs from eating the furniture. The dogs actually liked it and would lick it off the furniture (before eating the furniture).

The best solution is to foist them off on your neighbors until mature. Posted Image

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Bond

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 07:55 AM

Well, my wife is a horse person, so she found a 2 1/2 to 3 foot barbed wire christmas tree. Our dogs didn't even look twice at it. My thought contribution is this. What about taping or pinning a cutout tree to the wall. You and yours can have fun cutting out 'ornaments' to 'hang' on the tree and as you get presents wrapped, you can cutout an appropriate 'box' to tape to the wall under the tree (while keeping the real presents safely away from La Destructa). It sounds odd even to me, but at the same time it sounds like the sort of thing that might add a litle fun back to Christmas for families without little two-legged children running around. Bond. Paul Bond.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 08:30 AM

my other pup us a springer, when she was a pup she chewed through a floorlamp cord TWICE. NO clue how she kept from getting zapped.