What's new

Why noise on DVD playback and no noise on HD satellite? (1 Viewer)

chelentano

Agent
I saw so many HDTV plasmas and LCDs in different stores and they all have significant noise while playing DVD. DirectTV HD pictire on the other hand is always almost perfect.

Why there is so much noise on DVD playback and not much noise on HD satellite picture?

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the simple answer is that a high definition signal from satellite is significantly more detailed than a dvd.

-Dave

chelentano

Agent
"simple answer is that a high definition signal from satellite is significantly more detailed than a dvd"

Yea, but regular CRT TV does not show any noise playing the same DVD.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have caught stores, feeding their DVD at 480i or even svideo. I would assume this is the answer. I have seen many a DVD displayed on Plasma without noise. Hard to say, really, maybe they do it to push their selling of HD Dish/Sat systems and service?

This would require some digging into.

I have also seen some Plasma's that do much better using their own Progressive scan, than being fed Progressive scan, on these sets, you want to feed them 480i via component video.

Just hard to say. Next time out, I will see if I notice what you are saying here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks