What's new

Retractable Screen Mounting Question (1 Viewer)

Rutgar

Second Unit
I have a manual retractable Stewart Screen. If you look at my Theater pics, you will see that it's currently mounted from the ceiling. For acoustical reasons, I'm considering changing the setup in the room. One of the more favorable positions would put the screen on the wall, above the double windows, currently to the left of the screen (the RPTV is going out of the room).

If I move the screen to this spot, I want to mount the screen on the wall, instead of the ceiling. Small problem, I would have to build out some sort of extension, from the wall above the curtains, to mount the screen (about 6 inches), so the screen will drop down in front of the curtains.

What would be some ideas on how to do this, without attaching anything to the ceiling?

The screen weighs about 50 pounds.

Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Maybe I'm missing something, but whats wrong with still mounting it on the ceiling six inches away from the wall so it lowers in front of the curtains?

Rutgar

Second Unit
Good question. If I put it on the ceiling, I would have to remove the existing peice of hardwood that I currently have the screen mounted to. Thus, I'd have to re-texture that section of ceiling, and then re-paint the entire ceiling. I would prefer to avoid this all together, and just leave the existing piece of hardwood there, and move the screen to the wall, since a wall is available in that spot.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Ahh I see. If there is texture underneath the hardwood you could get off easy. I still vote for moving the hardwood and the screen. OR you couls always get a new piece of hardwood. Eitherway a piece of hardwood on your ceiling will probably look odd w/o hte screen on it.

Rutgar

Second Unit
There is no texture under the hardwood. I scraped it off.:frowning: One good thing about where the hardwood is now, is that it's across the front of the fireplace. So, I can just leave it there, and maybe mount some small spotlights on it, or something.

As far as mounting the screen in the new place; I did get some advice from another forum. They suggested I use some sort of heavy duty shelf brackets. I'm considering doing just that. They won't look as good as the hardwood. But, the advantage would be that they're easy to install, and later move (if I change my mind again), without a lot of work, and damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks