Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dirty interconnect cables???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   BrettHem

BrettHem

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted November 20 2004 - 05:09 AM

I recently added a new HD Sat receiver and decided it was a good time to pull my components off the rack and do some house cleaning.

I disconnected the interconnect (audio-quest viper) between my rotel 1066 and 1075 amp. The 5 cables on the amp side were very clean and looked new. All 5 channels connected to the 1066 processor are quite dirty. It almost looks like rust.
What does this mean? How do I clean? How did this happen? Do i need to replace or call my local store for replacement?

Thanks for the help,
Brett

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   MikeTz

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted November 20 2004 - 01:19 PM

For connector cleaning, deoxidizing, and protection try the Caig cleaning products (DeOxit and ProGold).

MT

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   BrettHem

BrettHem

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted November 20 2004 - 05:24 PM

Thanks MT,
I ordered their Audio/Video Survival Kit and hope this will help!!!
Brett

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted November 20 2004 - 07:24 PM

Quote:
It almost looks like rust.
Hard to say. Could be copper. A quick test if its a copper salt is to scrape a little into a small container and add a bit of ammonia. If it turns blue you've got copper. You haven't said though if the connector on the cable is clean or shows evidence of mechanical deterioration.

Mike's suggestion for cleaning is a good one. You can use q-tips, pipe cleaners, or these foam swab heads to get inside. As to how it happened, that's a tough one. If you've been inserting/reinserting frequently, then you may simply have worn away the gold or whatever coating there is. Sometimes the plugs fit very tightly and it doesn't take much effort to knock off a 10 mil overcoat. If the unit is under warranty, I'd contact them and see what they say. Its not difficult to replace and if you're electrically inclined you could do it. Otherwise expect to see a fairly substantial labor charge plus marked up replacement part costs.