Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Going to build my own swimming pool, any tips?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Sebastian

Sebastian

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 04:07 PM

Well, I decided to contract out my own pool. Has anyone done this themselves and have tips? or anyone have any insight? Thanks

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 07:27 PM

Good Luck! Posted Image

I did this about 4 years ago and I really saved a good chunk of money. It wasn't that hard but there were a few headaches. Four things that jump into my head is make sure everybody is on the same page when it comes to passing inspections. There is a lot of coordinating the last few weeks so just make everybody is aware of the other workers schedules (ie if the electrician is coming one day, make sure you tell the other people in case it will prevent them from working). Second, if staining your deck, make sure that is done before the tile is put in the pool. Third, if using concrete decking make sure they run irrigation tubing and anything else you may need like speaker wire before they lay the deck. And last but not definitely not least, be firm with your prices. Some people will try to take advantage of you, don't be worried about asking for references. I am sure you can take care of yourself, but you may be surprised how many people some how end up "under bidding" the job.Posted Image

Have fun, and enjoy your new pool this upcoming summer.Posted Image
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted November 20 2004 - 04:20 AM

Yes, make sure that your property is fenced so that the neighbor's kids can't come in while you are away. Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users