Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Distance to picture?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   BobHaymond

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 08:14 AM

I have a Sony 36XBR mounted into a wall. I am considering a set of theater seats: three curved in back and two in front. Can some one tell me (or point me to a referance) some general rules as to distancing these seats from the screen? TIA for any help.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 08:22 AM

The general rule is 2 times your actual screen size, I'm pretty sure anyways.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 10:09 AM

I've always read and heard 3 times the diagonal measurement

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Tod Golden

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 01:36 PM

Hmmm, at three times my diagonal screen size the would be 16'3" for me. That seems a little far to me. I think I am close to 9' with my 65" Mits and it seems fine. What would be the benefit to moving farther away? Tod

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 19,022 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 08:58 PM

Tod,

In home theaters, the minimal distance is dictated by the height of the screen, because it's the scanlines you don't want to distinguish. Width does play a role: you also wouldn't want to have to move your head (i.s.o. of your eyes) to be able to look from the utter left to right, but in practice that's not the problem.

So a good minimum distance for current, non-HD NTSC systems (480 lines) would be: one-and-a-half to twice the height of your screen. Optimal distance is also influenced by personal preference, near- or far-sightedness, etc. and would typically be slightly more than the minimal distance.

Cees

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   JamesCB

JamesCB

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 01:03 AM

Try this:

Viewing Distance Calculator

James

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 05:13 AM

Hmmm. I have always heard that the optimum distance is 1.5 to 2 times your screen width measured on the horizontal. I used 2 times my screen width in my setup and that seems perfect.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Tod Golden

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 05:38 AM

I moved my seating back last night to about 12'. And I must admit that this distance has a more mind pleasing effect. I think I will take some measurements and tinker with the distance a little more. Tod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users