Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paint for "screen" wall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   George V

George V

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 04:54 AM

What is the best paint (or material) to use on new drywall that will have primer on it? This wall will be used as the "screen." I need something that is economical and provides good results. Probably use a DLP...
thanks,
George

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 08:39 AM

I hate hopping up on a sandbox but why are you considering paint vs. a real screen? Is it purely economical?
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   George V

George V

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 11:07 PM

Good question...

Two main reasons,
1. The room is small and the construction of a hanging screen would be dificult and consume space. Or a portable screen would be a pain to set up/take down continually.
2. The room is a gameroom/HT room. At times the room would be used for table tennis or such. I need to conserve as much space as possible and it seems the wall "screen" would do this nicely...

Hope that clarifies...
thanks,
George

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Bell

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 04:22 AM

I used Behr (Home Depot) "Silver Screen" paint over metallic silver.

2 coats primer
2 coats metallic silver
2 coats SIlverscreen (it's really a light grey)

I use a Sanyo Z-2 projector, and it looks great. There are several other formulas that people have used here if you want to spend the time and money. Do a search here or at AVS Forum for Goo and Mississippi Mud.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 05:30 PM

I am a theater manager and have just completed a out door theater. I did tons of research on this topic. First off go to a real paint store not walmart types. Get a white paint with the highest amounts of titanium. I know it sounds weird but that is what most people use for drive ins and such. That is what I used I had a dalite screen and switched to this paint idea and came up with a better picture quality over all.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

Posted November 19 2004 - 01:44 AM

I am using Behr Ultra Pure White for my LCD!

Wes
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 19 2004 - 05:16 AM

I have a friend that has a similar room. He used paint for a while and then built a soffitt and hid a motorized screen in it. When the screen is up, you have no idea it's there and the room can be used for non-movie activities with no risk of damage to the screen, and no wasted space. It's worth thinking about for a long term plan.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   TeddM

TeddM

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 12:52 PM

Not as cheap as Behr paint but for a DIY screen that can compete with the best commercial screens, use "Goo Paint". wwwdotgoosystemsdotcom. (under fifteen posts here so substitute "dot" with ".") Crt white works very well with dlp pjs and the light digital grey version is another possibility.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Glenise

Glenise

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts

Posted November 20 2004 - 11:49 PM

Behr ultra pure white flat converted to Behr gray tropics flat.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 01:59 AM

Neil Joseph was looking for a "grayhawk-lookalike" and found a paint he's very happy with. The stuff he found was in spray cans, and some people wonder if an amateur can do that evenly enough. Posted Image Read that thread!

BTW, I'm going to give that solution a very serious try myself. A big advantage would be that the construction of a variable mask (on all sides) wouldn't have to be too complicated that way.

(And, Jay, a painted or sprayed wall is a 'real' screen! Posted Image )

Cees

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Travis_R

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 08:23 PM

I was also going to recommend the Behr Silver Screen paint, have heard alot of good things about it

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   TeddM

TeddM

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 04:48 AM

Locally we have a large event once a year called the The Great Canuck Shootout that featues many projectors and many screens, both commercial and DIY solutions. One of the lasting impressions I got from last year's Shootout2 was just how little spread there is in picture quality in various commercial screens and the (better quality) DIY solutions. The other lasting impression was how big a jump in quality the new digitals have made in the last year. On the high end of the demonstrated screens was a Silverstar and a Studiotek 130 and on the lower end was a Carada Brillient White 1.4 screen with many screens at various pricepoints in between. One of the superior performers to catch people's attention last year was the two DIY Goo Screens (light digital grey and the crt white). That meet offered a very unusual opportunity to test screens side by side, in a blacked out room with a BenQ 8700 and a 8700+ used in the comparisons.

If one doesn't wish to mess with mixing and experimentation of various paints, then Goo is a very affordable, ready to paint, two part paint solution. I'm not sure why this very useful bit of DIY'er information isn't acted upon more often. The thread Cees referred to, had someone mention Goo Systems Paint without a single question about it. I often see some of these DIY exerimenters spend far more in inexpensive paints then Goo Paint would have cost them in the first place. I am all for DIY and my room features many high yield DIY projects to keep quality high, and costs in check, but occassionally I find myself blinded to the real costs of DIY and often never take into account my time, energy or the true costs of numerous trips back and forth to the local Home Depots.