Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear speaker volume

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 03:44 PM

While I was surfing another home theater forum there was a post about setting the levels of the speakers. Some people noted that Dolby Specs are that the rear speakers should be 2-3 dB lower than the mains. I did this and I like the more realistic effect. Do any of you guys set your rear speakers lower than the mains? And if you did, did you like the effect?
Take care,
Patrick

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   JamesCB

JamesCB

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 12:20 AM

Shouldn't hannel levels be calibrated using the appropriate source and SPL meter? If I set my rears 2-3db lower than the calibrated setting, I lose the enveloping effect of the surrounds. Maybe it depends on the individual set-up and personal preference. Occasionally I will boost the rears 2db with good results. James

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 01:24 AM

i've never heard of this. unless the rear channel tones in our receiver/pre/pros or on our calibration discs are already recorded at such a level as to create this net result. and i don't think they are. it's my understanding that the test tones are all recorded and/or output at the same level, for all channels.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 04:17 AM

Keeping in mind the Master multichannel soundtrack source, ... the Mixing Engineer's goal is to Mix the DVD for consumer and DVD production studios, where ... relative channel levels assume each speaker delivers identical acoustic sound pressure levels to the listener.

I personally equalize my 6.1/7.1 speakers SPL's to be identical @ my 'sweet spot' in my 20' x 30' HT/family room.

Hope this helps,
Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted November 17 2004 - 03:41 PM

I do calibrate with the Rat Shack meter using the AVIA disk. Phil thanks for clairifing the info in the dolby guideline wihch was really helpful. I guess I will be turning my rears up now that I know that I did not read the Dolby thing carefully. Thanks
Take care,
Patrick

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 01:35 PM

Patrick, if you like the way your rears sound at -2, why change them back because of what it says in the manual? I think it's more about what pleases you than being exactly "in spec". It's sort of like some people prefering to run their subs +2 or +3.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted November 21 2004 - 07:45 PM

Tim you are right. The more I listen to them -2 db down the more I like them. It dosen't give them the in you face feel but a more natural sound to me.
Take care,
Patrick

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 22 2004 - 07:31 AM

I dropped my right rear down a dB from calibration because it is distracting at ref cal. Despite the calibration, it sounds better ballanced to me this way.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 22 2004 - 04:12 PM

I like mine slightly HIGHER actually...I calibrate by instrument first, and then by ear to make sure I like the balance I'm getting.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   stephen shadow

stephen shadow

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 12:02 AM

Ideally, on most material without discrete sound sources, the surrounds should not be noticable unless you turn them off, in which case the soundfield just shrinks forward and seems smaller. That said this is a hobby and for fun not brain surgery. Enjoy!Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Nevin

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted November 23 2004 - 04:22 PM

I was watching spiderman when the green goblin was attacking durning the event and man the rears sounded good at -2 dB. I think I am gonna keep it that way.
Take care,
Patrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users