What's new

Rear speaker volume (1 Viewer)

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
While I was surfing another home theater forum there was a post about setting the levels of the speakers. Some people noted that Dolby Specs are that the rear speakers should be 2-3 dB lower than the mains. I did this and I like the more realistic effect. Do any of you guys set your rear speakers lower than the mains? And if you did, did you like the effect?

JamesCB

Second Unit
Shouldn't hannel levels be calibrated using the appropriate source and SPL meter?

If I set my rears 2-3db lower than the calibrated setting, I lose the enveloping effect of the surrounds. Maybe it depends on the individual set-up and personal preference. Occasionally I will boost the rears 2db with good results.

James

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i've never heard of this. unless the rear channel tones in our receiver/pre/pros or on our calibration discs are already recorded at such a level as to create this net result. and i don't think they are. it's my understanding that the test tones are all recorded and/or output at the same level, for all channels.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Keeping in mind the Master multichannel soundtrack source, ... the Mixing Engineer's goal is to Mix the DVD for consumer and DVD production studios, where ... relative channel levels assume each speaker delivers identical acoustic sound pressure levels to the listener.

I personally equalize my 6.1/7.1 speakers SPL's to be identical @ my 'sweet spot' in my 20' x 30' HT/family room.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
I do calibrate with the Rat Shack meter using the AVIA disk. Phil thanks for clairifing the info in the dolby guideline wihch was really helpful. I guess I will be turning my rears up now that I know that I did not read the Dolby thing carefully.

Thanks

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, if you like the way your rears sound at -2, why change them back because of what it says in the manual? I think it's more about what pleases you than being exactly "in spec". It's sort of like some people prefering to run their subs +2 or +3.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Tim you are right. The more I listen to them -2 db down the more I like them. It dosen't give them the in you face feel but a more natural sound to me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I dropped my right rear down a dB from calibration because it is distracting at ref cal. Despite the calibration, it sounds better ballanced to me this way.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I like mine slightly HIGHER actually...I calibrate by instrument first, and then by ear to make sure I like the balance I'm getting.

Ideally, on most material without discrete sound sources, the surrounds should not be noticable unless you turn them off, in which case the soundfield just shrinks forward and seems smaller. That said this is a hobby and for fun not brain surgery. Enjoy!;)

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching spiderman when the green goblin was attacking durning the event and man the rears sounded good at -2 dB. I think I am gonna keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks