-

Photo

TOSLink output on Xbox?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 08:07 AM

EDIT - 10/29
----
Well, thanks for all the input, folks, I've ordered the 30 foot optical cable with TOSLink connectors from the source I listed below. If I found anything has gone awry, I'll post a follow up. Thanks again.
--

Original message:
Can anyone verify what kind of optical output is on the Advanced AV pack? TOSLink (square) or Miniplug (round)?

I am ordering the cabling I will need to integrate my Xbox into my HT, and I want to make sure before I order. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on 30-foot optical digital audio runs? Will this impact the quality of the signal?

Thanks in advance,

John Kilroy

------------------
www.kilroyinteractive.com

[Edited last by John Kilroy on October 28, 2001 at 10:57 PM]
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   John Tillman

John Tillman

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 08:44 AM

Toslink might not be durable enough for this. Also, most people would need a longer run (6' or more) to reach the back of a receiver. This could get pricey.

For a long distance digital run perhaps quad shielded RG6 would do it. Check out The Home Depot for reasonably priced stuff.

[Edited last by John Tillman on October 22, 2001 at 07:11 PM]
__
JT

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 11:53 AM

It's TOSLink.

I believe the A/V packs are supposed to include the necessary cables, but I doubt that Microsoft is including 30' of cabling Posted Image

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   AndyVX

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 12:01 PM

Just to further this question a bit, I had something I wanted to ask.

Where is the Digital Output? Is it on the High-Def AV Pak? I know it isn't on the system itself, so I'm assuming it's on the High-Def pak. Has it also been confirmed that it's optical? I would think that coax. would make more sense if it's on the High-Def pak.

Thanks.

Andrew

------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Andrew

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 12:04 PM

Yep, TOSlink
30' should be no problem for fiber optic, the trick is to find someone that will sell you one. You could always buy 2 15' cables and put a connector from rat shack in between them, I doubt that you would notice a difference in the quality, I've done that before and haven't had a problem ( thank goodness for digital).

Dean

Edit: Good question Andy, It is confirmed to be optical and the output is on the pack itself. I am still scratching my head as to why they decided to design it that way.

[Edited last by Dean Cooper on October 22, 2001 at 07:08 PM]

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 12:45 PM

The connector is on the HD and Advanced A/V packs. I've been too lazy to go downstairs and check if the HD pack has a coax output, too (there are six RCA connectors on the HD pack; however, I've heard the sixth is for composite video, not coax sound).

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted October 23 2001 - 02:13 AM

Gary and Dean,

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I assume you have had your hands on the actual AV packs? None of the literature out there shows the appropriate angle to see the optical connector.

As far as a 30 foot optical cable, it looks like:
http://www.core-soun...ink-cables.html

has them for sale for $30 (plus s/h). Does that price sound too good to be true? I've never bought "generic" cables before...

Thanks again.

John Kilroy

------------------

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted October 23 2001 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
None of the literature out there shows the appropriate angle to see the optical connector.

I know EXACTLY what your talking about, enough to drive a guy nuts Posted Image I have looked at the advanced pack, but have yet to get my hands on a HD one. Gary brought up the mystery question for the HD pack and the answer still eludes me because of the poor picture and description. What is the 6th RCA connection for? composite video or digital coax audio?

I would give that cable a shot, its not a big investment and as long as its not all cracked to hell and back you should get the same performance as any other TOSlink cable. Good find

Dean

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Peter_A

Peter_A

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted October 23 2001 - 05:54 AM

Good old Microsoft making you buy an add-on to get the most out of their system *sigh* Posted Image

------------------
Peter

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   LewisD

LewisD

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted October 24 2001 - 04:14 PM

It's better than Nintendo giving you NO digital out at all... Posted Image Posted Image

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted October 28 2001 - 10:50 AM

Well, I have now looked at an actual HDTV pack. The current one only has 5 RCA outputs on it and one TOSlink.

Component outputs
Analog sound out
Digital TOSlink out

That's it, so what ever the mystery RCA output was is no longer there, probably was a composite video out anyway.

Dean

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 09:29 AM

Only TOSlink out? Well, there's the first short-sighted (maybe just "poor") design decision from Microsoft. If that's all I'll have to compromise around, that won't be too big of a problem.

Hopefully, future A/V packs will allow for coax.

(I can think of no clear advantage for going with TOSlink exclusively.)

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 04:08 PM

When I was researching DVD players a lot in 1997, I noticed that the less expensive ones offered only TOSLink, no coaxial. Perhaps a cost-cutting move on Microsoft's part?

Personally, I always thought it would cost *more* to convert a signal to optical, but I'm a software guy, so what do I know? Maybe some EE on the forum will enlighten me...

John

------------------

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 06:30 AM

I got to talk to an Xbox rep at Wal-Mart (He seemed to be there advising on the display and sales for Nov 15). According to him it's a coax output. Makes sense, why would there be a composite video output on a Hi-Def accesory, kinda defeats the purpose.

Looks like it's 3 jacks for component video, 2 for L/R audio(to the tv) and 1 for digital coax.
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Joe Rigali

Joe Rigali

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 06:41 AM

Ok so does all this mean that if I buy an Hd pack I can use my optical cable for my DTS system (just like on the back of my PS2) and my componet cables?

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 04:24 PM

Yes