Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Animaniacs: When?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted November 14 2004 - 06:02 PM

I know Warner hasn't really jumped on gung-ho on the TV on DVD bandwagon thus far (at least not nearly to the extent of Fox and Paramount) but I loved these cartoons. They were incredibly smart and funny and the songs were fantastic. I'd buy it. Does anyone know a guy who knows a guy who knows the guy who would know if we can ever expect these gems in the future? I'd buy them
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted November 14 2004 - 09:36 PM

Gord Lacey seems to be the guy to whom to direct the questions. Don't use his name directly for thread titles. Apparently, it creeps him out.

Wonder if there is a way we can come up with a thread title to direct inquiries to Gord and other members "In the Know", that are a little less cumbersome than "Pretty Please With Sugar On Top (Insert name here) Could You Ask One Of Your Contacts?" Posted Image

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 08:52 AM

Just asking the question without mention of Gord's name, my name, or TSoD itself will usually mean that either Gord or I will see it. We keep a very close eye on this section of the HTF, as you can imagine! Posted Image

If we fail to answer, then it usually means we have nothing to say. Don't interpret that to mean "we know something but cannot say it"; we rarely if ever are keeping secrets on something (and if so it usually doesn't last long, though there are the odd exceptions like we've known for a couple of months that the theme song for Married...with Children was in jeopardy of being cut from S3; however, if we spoke too soon then last-minute negotiations would have most certainly failed and we didn't want to be the cause of THAT!).

In the case of Animaniacs, this is one of those that I would absolutely adore seeing on DVD, but if it's coming then I just don't know it. Sometimes we find out about stuff waaaay in advance, and other times we find out at the last minute. Night Court is a great example: Warner effectively kept the secret from us all along, and then last Friday we were like Posted Image !!!

When I saw the word about Night Court, I was dancing around the room naked (that's a long-running joke here at HTF about my chosen form of celebration when a favorite item is announced). If word about Animaniacs came down, I would be doing a nude boogie about a half second later.... Posted Image

I know that Warner is VERY well aware of the public demand for Animaniacs, and related shows like Pinky & The Brain, Tiny Toons, etc. Their resistance is wearing down, and they will be bugging Speilberg and company for help putting these out before long...if they haven't already secretly started! Posted Image Posted Image

Keep voting for this stuff at TVShowsOnDVD and keep talking about it here. It makes a difference, I'm sure of it.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 06:11 AM

I'm guessing there's been no movement on the Animaniacs front?

I know that I'd love to see full episodes/seasons, since the show worked in sort of the same way that Monty Python's Flying Circus was more than tha sum of its sketches. Still, even a best of set, or complete collections by character would be great.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 07:16 AM

Warner seems to like creating brand collections as they've got the "Hanna Barbera Collection", "DC Comics Collection", "Looney Tunes" and "Cartoon Network" already. So, I have a feeling the same will eventually happen to Animaniacs, Tiny Toons and Pinky & the Brain. When that might happen, I don't know, but it makes sense given their marketing strategy of late.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 27 2005 - 08:28 AM

Quote:
If word about Animaniacs came down, I would be doing a nude boogie about a half second later....
Note to forum members: Let us band together and do everything in our power to prevent David from ever owning a webcam. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 09:15 AM

Quote:
If word about Animaniacs came down, I would be doing a nude boogie about a half second later....

.. that's just wrong.... - Cleveland, Family Guy

Posted Image

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted January 27 2005 - 11:04 AM

What a coincidence. This thread is bumped up on the day I joined TVshowsonDVD.com just to vote for this show. I hope it's a sign. Posted Image

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 03:02 AM

Well, I just checked the WB transcript, and it doesn't look like there's anything more on the Animaniacs front. It came up a couple of times, but it was always sandwiched in with a whole pile of other things in a question. Kind of surprised that nobody asked about it exclusively, but I suppose people figure that they'll use their one chance to ask a question to ask what's really about a dozen of them.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that there's more news about Animaniacs on the way?
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   LisaDoris

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 03:55 AM

The rep from WBs animation dept wasn't at the chat so much of the cartoon discussion was tabled.

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 07:51 AM

I want Animaniacs and I want to buy David Lambert a webcam. Posted Image

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 03:41 PM

No you don't. Think "Captain Kirk" in the 3rd season...but worse. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 12:41 PM

TVShowsOnDVD.com sent me this on November 10, 2005:

Quote:
We've added a news item for "Animaniacs" to the site. Here it is:

How Long Before Animaniacs Escape the Water Tower? What Order? What About Volume 2? We've Got Answers... - 7:30 AM 11/10/2005 Fans of "Animaniacs", while happy to know the show is coming to DVD, have nevertheless had more questions for us in the wake of our scoop the other week. We've got some answers now to the most pressing questions. Find them only in the TVShowsOnDVD News!
URL: http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=4475
You were sent this email because you have expressed interest in having "Animaniacs" released on DVD. If you no longer want to receive these emails you may change the setting in your User Options - "Change Account Information".

And here's the linked article:

Quote:
It's been two weeks exactly since we broke the news that Animaniacs is headed to DVD in 2006. Fans of the classic animated cartoon have been going wacko, bombarding us with questions and asking for more information...and we've got it for you! We've found out that this show, along with spin-off series Pinky and the Brain is tentatively penciled in for July 25, 2006 on Warner Home Video's release schedule. Now be careful, because that date is EXTREMELY subject to change, but it ought to give you an idea of just how far off these are from release. The studio doesn't want them to slip too far past that date, though, because they would like to get "Volume 2" sets for both shows out to stores in time for Christmas 2006. We don't mind a bit!

Our deep, dark, secret industry sources tell us to expect these to be in "Volume" sets, in order by the original airdate, similar to the way Batman: The Animated Series has been released by Warner. The goal is to put 22 half-hour installments onto 4 DVDs for each set. So that there is no redundant content between the two releases (in other words, Warner isn't forcing you to buy the same cartoon shorts twice if you purchase both shows), the Pinky and the Brain DVDs are planned to NOT include the half-hour shows which were made up of PatB> material taken from Animaniacs (something the show did in the early days of the spin-off in order to have more "episodes" in short order).

This ought to answer the majority of the initial questions we've been bombarded with about these releases since our scoop a couple of weeks ago. We doubt we'll have much more to say for the next few months, while Warner finalizes their plans and gets production of these DVDs together. For now, let's categorize everything you've just read as "rumor mill" stuff, and take it with a grain of salt. But stay tuned, and just as soon as we have confirmation from the studio, or some new information to update you with, we will let you know!

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 02:14 PM

With them saying they are going to focus their resources on Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain instead of putting out Quick Draw McGraw & Wally Gator, does that mean that we should expect the first or second set sooner?

Paul

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 02:34 PM

No, Paul, I'm sure that's not it at all. My full-time, non-TSoD bill-paying job is in an environment where this sort of thing happens all the time. It probably just means that they had people assigned to the HB releases who could be useful in getting the Ani/PatB releases out on time, and in true corporate fashion they just temporarily shelved the one project so that these people could work on the other one. It's just priorities.

I must say, I see folks reading so many sinister plots into that news that it's just beyond me. Warner didn't even announce the Quick Draw or Wally sets, I just rumor'ed them. And then I un-rumor'ed them.

For all you know, I'm making up stuff just to sell newspapers. Except I don't sell anything, but you know what I mean. Having folks get this disappointed over what was non-news to begin with is the danger of what Gord and I do when we decide to post stuff based on "industry sources". This time I think everyone's going a bit 'round the bend in getting upset over the change of plans that never were meant to be made public in the first place.

My fault, my bad for posting that Quick Draw/Wally stuff in the first place.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted February 11 2006 - 02:58 AM

While Animaniacs & Pinky & The Brain will outsell the cLAssic HB Classic Cartoons and they were great shows, there is really a dedicated hardcore base which have enjoyed the old HB stuff and they sort of look at it as the studio favoring recent shows over the older "classic" shows people grew up on.

Even before you reported it, with the releasing of Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear, I sort of expected Quick Draw McGraw to be released this year and I think a lot of others fans did too because after Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, and Snagglepuss, Quick Draw McGraw was one of the more memorable HB characters of the three short shows and they still market him as such in the Wacky Wobblers and other merchandise.

Paul

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted February 12 2006 - 12:22 AM

Quote:
...there is really a dedicated hardcore base which have enjoyed the old HB stuff and they sort of look at it as the studio favoring recent shows over the older "classic" shows people grew up on.

I think that those of you who are part of that dedicated hardcore base of HB fans should take into consideration the fact that there is a huge base of fans of Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, etc. which has been upset at Warner for the longest time for favoring releases of the old classic shows and ignoring the more "modern classics" that they love so much.

This argument is definately a two-lane highway! Let the fans of the recent shows have their turn to get a release, and don't forget that there ARE other HB releases that are in the works for this year (you WILL get Flintstones S5 and Scooby-Dynomutt next month, and Hong Kong Phooey is still rumored to be coming later this year, probably with at least one unknown-as-of-yet companion HB title IF Warner follows their usual pattern).

I am a fan of both the HB stuff AND of the "modern classics" (esp. Animaniacs, which I've been jonesing for a DVD release of since I got my player in '99), and frankly I think I'm in the majority group being in that position. I really don't see TOO many folks (outside of this thread and similar ones on this and other message boards, of course) who like one group and dislikes the other. They are both very, very good and worth getting on DVD. And that factor is probably not lost on the studio.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 04:30 AM

From http://forums.toonzo....55#post2064955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper
Tom Ruegger just passed this information on to me:

Oh, one other thing. Maurice LaMarche is hosting the "extras" on the

Animaniacs dvd, due in July. The interviews include Sherri Stoner,

Rob, Jess and Tress, the Bernsteins (filling in for Richard Stone), and

I get to say a few words. A few others as well. I believe the dvds

present the series eps in numerical order.

The Pinky and the Brain dvd is hosted by Rob and Mo. In the extras,

Peter and I get to chat a bit, along with others.

Steven took a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper
I heard that last week, after all parties had approved the bonus interviews for the Pinky & The Brain DVDs, the WB legal department stepped in and demanded that a large section be removed.

It was the section in which Tom Ruegger explains the origin of the characters. He talks about the personality quirks of Eddie Fitzgerald and Tom Minton, and how he started with caricatures of them, on which he drew ears and tail.

The legal department gave no explanation for why this part should be cut; we can only surmise that they decided that Fitzgerald and Minton could have objected to Ruegger's demonstration of their personalities.

I don't know about Fitzgerald, but I know Minton quite enjoys having been the inspiration for The Brain. So -- who knows -- perhaps WB Legal never even bothered to check with these guys to make sure they weren't going to sue for defamation of character.

Warners: Please release the rest of Taz-Mania, Duck Dodgers, Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, all of Road Rovers, Histeria, Cow & Chicken, Saturday Pants, Pinky Elmyra & The Brain, Tiny Toons Night Ghoulery & Spring Break specials, Wakko's Wish and a complete uncut Tex Avery set (with correct colors and NO DVNR)

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 10:39 AM

Tom Minton? I was sure that Orson Welles was the inspiration for The Brain. The similarities between the two were obvious, and it seemed to be a clear hint that Welles inspired the character when his production of "War Of The Worlds" was parodied on a Pinky and the Brain episode.

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 05:51 PM

I agree with you, David. I am a long time H-B fan and I believe every fan should have their day with their favorite shows or cartoons. Part of the problem for me is that there has been great momentum with the H-B titles being released over the last two years and I am skiddish about seeing it come to an end. In this case, it's probably an "imaginary" end, but because these characters have been so underused for the last twenty to thirty years, I am afraid that the plug will be pulled on the releases because that is what history has shown myself and other fans over the years. There were H-B videos coming out every month in the late 1980's and early 1990's until Ted Turner bought Hanna-Barbera and then it all came to a screeching halt.

As far as "Animaniacs" go, please bring them on. I've never watched one minute of the show, but friends of mine who have watched it absolutely love it. I think every show deserves a chance to be out on DVD. I hope it is very successful and that all the episodes will be released over the course of time. I hope that other newer WB titles are released as well. However, I also want to see the Hanna-Barbera titles continuing to show up on the store shelves as well.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow