What's new

So, any thing new up with classic Dic cartoons DVD? (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
It seems to have been a great while since we have seen anything, I think the Heathcliff movie was last, that or Swamp Thing. Where are the new volumes of Jayce, C.O.P.S., and The Littles among others or the rumored boxsets?

Also, any chance of Captain N, Kidd Video, Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestling, and Pole Position making it to DVD?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm also eagerly awaiting "Captain N Gamemaster" and "Hulk Hogan's Rock & Roll Wrestling" along with the rumored "Dennis The Menace" release and follow-up issues of "C.O.P.S." It's been sometime since Inspector Gadget and Super Mario Vol. 1 were released too, we should be hearing news on the next volumes sometime soon...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Remember, DiC doesn't actually put these out; distributor UAV does. I sent UAV a note two weeks ago to ask what the latest goings-on are, and no reply. Hmmm...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
As for "Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling", doesn't WWE hold the rights to that series. I know they were the ones who distributed the VHS collection of the show a number of years ago. Regardless, I'd love to own it!

Roni F

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see Kidd Video come out on DVD. That was one of my favorite shows when I was five or six years old, and I'd love to see it again.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
don't hold your breathe Matthew... sometimes, you've just gotta accept reality and take what you can get.

I would really like to know whatsup with UAV's catalogue, 'Dennis The Menace' was rumored to be in the works along with follow-up volumes to 'Inspector Gadget' and 'The Super Mario Bros. Super Show'. I would also like to see 'Captain N' and more 'C.O.P.S.' come to dvd. These guys really don't know hot to do things right...

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Oddly enough, Dave (from TVShowsOnDVD) and I were talking about how nothing has been coming out from UAV lately. I personally get the impression that they no longer care about those of us wanting the 80's stuff and that they'll probably stick to the more kiddie fare like Care Bears, Liberty's Kids, Sabrina, etc. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my feeling at the moment.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm not even sure that UAVCO and DiC are still working with each other. Things have been too quiet for too long now.

Joshua Lane, you agree? Apparently he does, since he replied as I wrote this up! :D

I just took a spin around the net in various places, and see no evidence of anything happenning except with Fox's releases of DiC's Strawberry Shortcake DVDs, ADV's Knights of the Zodiac and Saint Seiya releases, and TenStrike's releases of Liberty's Kids (which resume later this year or early next year...no details yet).

Amazon continues to have stock of many previous UAVCO/DiC releases, but I see nothing new coming down the pike. And the guy at UAVCO I used to talk to hasn't responded to my e-mails in so long I gave up...I wonder if he still works there.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I would buy the DIC season of G.I.Joe. Just to say that I have it. I'm also waiting for season 2 part 2 but that's another story for another thread...

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
That really sucks if nothing else is coming. DIC has such a vast library for them to not take full advantage of it is sad.

So is anything happening with further volumes of Super Mario Bros & Inspector Gadget? Or is that nowhere in sight either?

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
I wonder if DiC pulled their contract. After all, UAV didn't really release these titles all that well (poor video, bad distribution, etc). I don't necessarily blame UAV though, because their business model isn't really setup to handle this sort of stuff. They mainly stick to the discount titles that can be sold at Wal-Mart and the like for less than $10. So "quality" isn't really what they're striving for.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well regardless, it's pretty shitty to build everyone's expectations up with all the press they were putting out last year in talking with Toonzone and asking for fan feedback and suggestions and even hinting at the possibility of boxsets, only to dissapear and close up shop with no further mention of anything.

DIC has the potential to do so much with their licensed properties, it's blatantly obvious that the 80's animated TV-home video market is profitable and even moreso with some of the more recognizable titles like "Super Mario Bros." and "Dennis The Menace", but with such nil distribution and zero promotion whatsoever, it's no wonder DIC's home video output hasn't risen in the studio ranks. I don't know what kind of monkeys they have in their marketing dept. but cheap budget quality vhs-port $6 bargain bin transfers in Wal Mart is not exactly going to further their ventures. I wish they'd just license out their Nintendo properties along with Heathcliff, C.O.P.S., Inspector Gadget and Dennis The Menace and give some other studio a crack at it. It's really frustrating...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
They haven't been announced yet, they've just turned up on some retailer's sites. I've spoken to people about these and apparently some information is incorrect. I've also been asked to hold off on posting any information so the companies involved can do things properly...

Apparently the sales people jumped the gun (never a good thing).

Gord

Joe:C

Second Unit
Hopefully the small bit of information released is close to what we finally get. The box set idea is much better than the 3 or 4 episodes per disc releases. I'm glad DIC has finally gotten a different distributor.

Has anyone else noticed that Sony Music now has both the Sunbow and DIC cartoons? That's quite a library of 80's animation.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
ahh.. Gord, you're killing me man!

I always thgought The Legend Of Zelda cartoons were part of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and a complete box set of that would eliminate the need for any further releases of Zelda?

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
The Legend of Zelda is part of the SMBSS. They are likely selling them separtely for marketing reasons. I'll just be happy if the Zelda release includes the live-action parts, as they might cut it thinking that they should eliminate the SMBSS references to keep it strickly Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks