Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

in-ceiling electric screens - how to?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   AdamP

AdamP

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 08:53 AM

I've got the perfect living room for an embedded projector screen. My question is, has anyone done this by themselves? The part of the ceiling I'm going to be doing it in is not the actual ceiling - only a dropped area for some lighting and ducts. How much do these screens cost? I'm going to need the company to add some material to the top since my ceiling is 9 feet high in this area.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Cameron_Johnson

Cameron_Johnson

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 11:22 AM

Draper is one of the best screen manufacturers in the industry. I'd recommend the Draper premier series screens. They are motorized ceiling screens and are tentioned so that they will remain completely flat when in use. You can get them in either 4:3 or 16:9 in sizes ranging up to 162". They come in high definition grey giving you the best contrast available. The prices range from about $1500 to $3500. You'll probably need a friend or two to help you install it and get te projector lined up Posted Image. Hope this helps.

-Cameron

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 11:37 AM

I have an 84" motorized Draper.. its quite nice, although kind of loud and clunky going up and down, but i couldnt care less. I got a sweet deal, used for $250. Oh, the remote is very very cheap, but i just had my other remote learn the codes.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   sean_pecor

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 05:32 PM

I've got a 92" 16:9 Da-Lite Contour Electric and I'm very happy with the overall quality. The motor is quite smooth and makes a "vrrrr" sound that is not unpleasant. I don't have the tensioned option but, honestly, the quality of construction is such that I feel tensioning isn't a requirement in my case. My screen is almost perfectly flat and is perfectly still when in use. If you've got the budget, then spend the extra $750-$1,000 for tensioning, but if you'd like the $750-$1,000 freed up for other parts of the project, then you can skip it. In other words, for someone on a budget, a $750 subwoofer would boost the home theater experience far more than the tensioning option would Posted Image

Sean
President, Lead Developer
Digital Spinner, Inc.
http://www.digitalspinner.com

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   AdamP

AdamP

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 13 2004 - 01:45 AM

If I get one of those I'm going to have to reroute some duct work and recessed lighting. Thanks for the info guys... can't wait to get started. I'll probably post my project on projectorcentral.com.