What's new

in-ceiling electric screens - how to? (1 Viewer)

AdamP

Auditioning
I've got the perfect living room for an embedded projector screen. My question is, has anyone done this by themselves? The part of the ceiling I'm going to be doing it in is not the actual ceiling - only a dropped area for some lighting and ducts. How much do these screens cost? I'm going to need the company to add some material to the top since my ceiling is 9 feet high in this area.

Cameron_Johnson

Auditioning
Draper is one of the best screen manufacturers in the industry. I'd recommend the Draper premier series screens. They are motorized ceiling screens and are tentioned so that they will remain completely flat when in use. You can get them in either 4:3 or 16:9 in sizes ranging up to 162". They come in high definition grey giving you the best contrast available. The prices range from about $1500 to $3500. You'll probably need a friend or two to help you install it and get te projector lined up ;). Hope this helps.

-Cameron

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have an 84" motorized Draper.. its quite nice, although kind of loud and clunky going up and down, but i couldnt care less. I got a sweet deal, used for $250. Oh, the remote is very very cheap, but i just had my other remote learn the codes.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 92" 16:9 Da-Lite Contour Electric and I'm very happy with the overall quality. The motor is quite smooth and makes a "vrrrr" sound that is not unpleasant. I don't have the tensioned option but, honestly, the quality of construction is such that I feel tensioning isn't a requirement in my case. My screen is almost perfectly flat and is perfectly still when in use. If you've got the budget, then spend the extra $750-$1,000 for tensioning, but if you'd like the $750-$1,000 freed up for other parts of the project, then you can skip it. In other words, for someone on a budget, a $750 subwoofer would boost the home theater experience far more than the tensioning option would :)

Sean

AdamP

Auditioning
If I get one of those I'm going to have to reroute some duct work and recessed lighting. Thanks for the info guys... can't wait to get started. I'll probably post my project on projectorcentral.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks