What's new

"Brady Bunch" Season 1 Release Date: March1, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
TVshowsonDVD just reported it on their site.

This is great news. One question: Will we be getting the original uncut version, or are they gonna pull an "ALF" on us and give us an edited version of the show that has been cut for the syndication market?

EDIT: I wanted to change the title of this thread to "Possible Release Date", but couldn't. Sorry about that.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Paramount almost always gives the original cut of the shows when they do TV on DVD. Some exceptions occur, on occasion, when original elements are no longer available on older shows - but they are as close to the original cut as possible. Music rights can also force a change, but I doubt that would be the case with The Brady Bunch

Sharp-eyed viewers of Star Trek picked up on a few very minor changes (which most would never have caught) - and fans of Ren and Stimpy were disappointed with some edits on that Paramount release, but those are the exceptions.

-Scott

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Robert Reed estate won't allow his image on most Brady Bunch merchandising (unless that has changed). So, say you have a recent lunchbox with the Bradys lined up on the stairs--Mike will be missing.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
And of course Girl by Davy Jones will be cut out of later seasons.

TV on DVD has become from the best thing to happen on DVD the worst thing to happen on DVD

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I hope they keep the same design for the cover art for all 5 seasons but change the pictures to reflect the kids growing older through the years.

I think the reason Paramount is immune from the ban on Robert Reed's image is because they OWN the show whereas other companies must get permission from the actor's estate in order to market other merchandise like lunchboxes.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Speculation, or fact?

Paramount has, on occasion, changed music on DVD releases... but they have just as often restored music that was missing from prior releases.

-Scott

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
See this was one of the shows that I had near the top of my list. But due to the recent music changes in "Quantum Leap" and "Northern Exposure" I'll wait until I know for sure that Music won't be an issue. No longer will I be stuck with one or two seasons of a show only to find out the rest of the series is edited due to music rights. I don't care if the studios are up front about the changes or not. That's it. I am done with music rights crap.

Randy

Claude North

Second Unit
Regarding "Girl," by Davy Jones, the song is the theme from The Star-Spangled Girl, which is also a Paramount release, so I'm guessing that Paramount owns the rights to it.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Keeping my fingers crossed for the original Paramount logo (i.e. The Red Paramount Split Box) and possibly the "Brady Bunch In Color" card that was on the vhs release.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Also keep your fingers crossed for uncut episodes - the "tattletale" episode was the syndicated version on the Columbia House tape, which may be what killed the sales.

Regarding the music-rights debate, I wonder what happens when we get to Carol and Marcia singing "Together Wherever We Go" in the Family Night Frolics episode... :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It probably won't be a problem. It seems like when the cast performs a song, it's easier to clear than when an artist's version is played. Though, I understand a scene was cut from the Commish set where a group featured in the episode performed a song.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks