Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Stern may start early (like a year early)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 03:09 AM

http://www.nypost.co...nment/33850.htm

Buyout talks are in the wings regarding Stern hopping from broadcast network to satellite far sooner then Jan 1, 2006, as Viacom now believes his promotion of SIRIUS during his show does them more harm then good.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 03:15 AM

it would be in everyone's best interest, except the people who arent ready to dump money into sat. radio.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   DaveBB

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
it would be in everyone's best interest, except the people who arent ready to dump money into sat. radio.

Dump is the wrong word. Invest is a better one because there are certainly many rewards with satelite radio.

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 06:39 AM

David, your right, my terminology may be wrong to a few people, but in all fairness, a lot of people thoght they were gonna have a year to prepare and spend the money later on, and possibly have more options to the Sirius service so right now these people are pretty much only doing it for Stern. So, they may feel like the word dump is right.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 06:57 AM

I just want to be the first to crap on this thread.

1) Stern sucks, he's old, no longer relevant.
2) Opie and Anthony are funnier.
3) Sirius isn't going to generate enough subscribers from this deal.
4) Sirius Radio is terrible for music fans, the playlists are too short and don't go 'deep' enough.

In all seriousness, the sooner Stern goes to satellite the better. The political climate is way too stifling. My local ABC affiliate won't be showing 'Saving Private Ryan' tonite, despite the fact that it aired in 2001 and 2002. Howard's "Best Of" classic shows that have aired for a decade have now been butchered to adhere to the latest perceived standards.

I'd like to see all of the exclusive, controversial talent to move to satellite so that the beginning of the official death of OTA is begun.

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,561 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 07:24 AM

Michael,

Well said on those four points.

You an experienced Sirius listener? Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
I'd like to see all of the exclusive, controversial talent to move to satellite so that the beginning of the official death of OTA is begun.
In short, I agree.
Political commentary deleted by moderator. Do not repost.
Sorry moderators, guess its time I read the forum rules. :-)

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   William Laughner

William Laughner

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 01:22 PM

Love the post Michael, that made me laugh out loud.

I am more than ready for Stern to start on Sirius. I have canceled all my XM radios except my new SkiFi2 and I now have the Blaupunkt America SR04 (I love the looks of it but it did need a little modification for mounting and a glare filter on the screen) in my car and the Audiovox PNP3 at my computer.

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 06:24 AM

There is nothing funnier on this planet than any Beetlejuice bit...dude's a goldmine and Stern continues to be one of the best entertainers around. I lucked out and got a Sirius in my new car even before Stern announced the move. Once he moves, I'll activate the subscription.

And I refuse to listen to anyone named "Opie".

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   Bryan_O

Bryan_O

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
And I refuse to listen to anyone named "Opie".

Definately, your loss.

I almost forgot how entertaining current, topical, creative radio can be, until Opie and Anthony came back online last month. I certainly haven't heard anything creative from Howard in years.

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,561 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 03:59 AM

I also echo the words, "Your Loss."

Opie and Anthony are far more edgier,
talented and funnier than Stern.

I sincerely urge you to give them a
listen for one month. Sounds like a
great gamble for $2.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 05:32 AM

*laugh* I'll be the one voice of reason in the O&A and Stern commentary.

Seriously, I could care less for either. If XM were to announce tomorrow that Dr. Laura would be exclusive to XM, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

As it sits right now, I'm very happy with the content of SIRIUS, and find the mix to be about what I want Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 09:46 AM

You guys gotta admit - if it wasn't for Stern, there would be no O&A or any other edgy show.

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 09:49 AM

"I certainly haven't heard anything creative from Howard in years."

Amputee Beauty Pagent? World's Largest Hemmoroid Contest? And that's just in the last month...

quack, quack, quack, quack

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
orld's Largest Hemmoroid Contest?
They did that?! Too bad it wasn't a year ago. I would have have won easily. Well, until it burst.... Posted Image

Anyways.....

I think Howard unleashed could do a pretty good show, until the FCC decides to regulate satellite radio.

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 10:57 PM

Just wanted to add my comments: Love Stern, hate Ren and Stimpie...err Opie and Anthony. I listened to them for a few months years back. Maybe I'm just old (28), or I've been listening to Stern for too long (since I was 16), but O&A didn't do anything for me. Too....immature, I guess. No laughs from them. Stern, on the other hand, is the opposite. Stern can be boring, but he can be funny as well. And really, I admit I just like listening to the guy talk. Weird.

Will I pay $12 for Sirius? Unlikely. I don't listen to him that much. I'm still mostly on AM listening to regular talk radio.
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 01:24 AM

Ok, suddenly tonight I realized who O&A are.. are these the same morons who did the sex scene.. in a catholic church?
My Current DVD-Profiler

#18 of 61 OFFLINE   Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 03:09 AM

Chris: Yes.

And to each their own. We can all claim we like whichever personality, and explain why we like them, but it's really up to each individual to give them a listen and decide if they find them amusing. At least with Stern people can still do that (for free), though I agree, he does spend a lot of time bitching about the FCC these days. Hopefully when he goes to Sirius he can return to his glory days.
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 05:15 AM

"I think Howard unleashed could do a pretty good show, until the FCC decides to regulate satellite radio. "

That would require a whole new look at the mandate of the FCC - they'd have to also be given the power to regulate cable TV and any other pay service. I doubt that would happen with the power of the media lobby. But with the maniacs in power packing the court with religious nuts, you never know.

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted November 19 2004 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
But with the maniacs in power packing the court with religious nuts, you never know.

I heard that!

Back to Mobile Phones / Entertainment

Forum Nav Content I Follow