Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any reviews of Elton John: Dream Ticket?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Sergio

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts
  • LocationGastonia, NC. USA

Posted November 10 2004 - 01:40 AM

Hello,

I want to buy this title and I interested in the PQ and audio on this 4 DVD Set exclusive from Best Buy.

Thanks in advance.
Sergio Perez-More

"Long Live Dolby Digital TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio"

Blu-ray/HD DVD & DVD/DVD-A/SACD Collection

Sergio's Home Theater & Bar

#2 of 11 John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 02:28 AM

I only found this one. Not as good a review as I had hoped.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#3 of 11 Sergio

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 02:58 AM

Thank you John for help me to save my money ($40.00). I have Elton John "One Night Only" (great DD5.1 & DTS and poor PQ). I will wait for a better package.

Thanks one more time.
Sergio Perez-More

#4 of 11 John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 03:19 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think a better package is in the near future. As an Elton John fan from 1971, I bit the bullet and bought this package although I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#5 of 11 Sergio

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 03:48 AM

Maybe if Best buy drop the price in the future. If not, HD DVD or Blue Ray DVD are around the corner. This comming year I will have my first 60-65' HD widescreen TV for my birthday. Life is good.

Thank you.
Sergio Perez-More

#6 of 11 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 10 2004 - 11:33 AM

I'm only a moderate fan of Elton John but I'm not sure if I'd recommend this to a die-hard who has to have everything. I've only went through disc 1 and 4 but I'm rather disappointed. I owned the ONE NIGHT ONLY before and for the time I thought the sound was great but now it doesn't seem so hot, especially coming after LIVE AID. It's good but a lot better has been released. The documentary on disc 4 is so annoying that I nearly fell asleep. None of those interviewed (incuding Elton) get too much time to speak and they really don't say anything interesting. The music videos were nice to have but someone dropped the ball when they decided to put the other songs together. Example, with "Your Song" we get each verse taken from a difference performance, which makes the song very uneven and it sounds very silly. I didn't think a bad version of this song could be found but here it is in this set.

This is a major disappointment (so far) considering how wonderful the Stones set was from last year.

#7 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,948 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 08:15 PM

So, what you guys are saying is save my $40 and
avoid buying this Best Buy exclusive?

That's a real shame. On the onset this looked like
it was going to be the most promising and definitive
Elton John product to the market.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 11 Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 06:03 AM

Wow - what a bummer of a review. We figured we were going to pick this one up for sure, but now I guess we won't. We already have the NY show. Maybe we'll just end up trying to rent it somewhere down the road if we can.

#9 of 11 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 11 2004 - 08:19 AM

I might go back and give this a minor recommendation to fans of Elton. I just got done with the third disc, the concert with Elton going solo on the piano. The picture is a bit soft but the audio is great as is the performance. I'd certainly recommend this disc but I'm sure most of you got the NYC show so it's really up in the air. The documentary is pointless so I guess it will come down to that third disc, which is strong enough to buy but for $40 some might think differently.

I'll try to check the second disc later tonight.

#10 of 11 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,456 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted November 11 2004 - 09:48 AM

I agree with Michael's assessment of the 3rd disc - Elton solo on the piano always makes for a special evening and it's really captured well here (in a spectacular setting to boot).

I'm a little happier with the set than some here - part of that is because I never bought the "One Night Only" disc so disc 1 is not a double-dip for me. The main disappointment is that all three concerts are from the past 2-3 years. I really wish they had been able to find a show from Elton's heyday in the 70s. That would have balanced the set much better, and made it an indispensable purchase for fans (much like last year's Led Zep set).

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#11 of 11 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 17 2005 - 08:15 AM

I noticed several copies at my local BB marked down to $24.99 -- think this is worth picking up? (I am a fan of the '70s material, but don't care much for most of the more recent stuff. Seems like the setlist is a mixed bag.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick