What's new

"The Bodyguard": Special Edition announced... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Cruising on over to DVDAnswers for the latest news, I discovered that Warner has announced that another title from the early days will be re-released as a Special Edition.

That title is the Kevin Costner/Whitney Houston drama "The Bodyguard". There's a new 1:85:1 anamorphic widesreen transfer and extras include audio commentary, a featurette, Whitney Houston's video for "I Will Always Love You" and the theatrical trailer.

Box art, specs and menu grabs can be found here.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Thankful for DVDAnswers ever since DVDFile went to posting only DVD reviews and box office updates.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to finally see an anamorphic release of this movie. I've been wanting to add this one to my collection for a long time!!!

I do have to admit that it seems a little light on features though?? A commentary, one music video and a featurette?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Music Videos:

RUN TO YOU
I HAVE NOTHING
I'M EVERY WOMAN

This movie has the biggest selling soundtrack of all time! No reference on the music and it's impact??? Only an interview?

Like I said a little light!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Oh well, you can't please all of the people, all of the time! You don't have to buy this dvd and can wait and see if they revisit it again in the future?

Crawdaddy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've gotta agree with Daddy of the Craw variety here. :) ...... Those special bonuses sound perfectly acceptable to me. Glad at least one music video is incuded, plus some behind-the-camera footage....plus (the kicker) -- the OAR for the first time (in 16x9)!

The kitchen sink is not required here I do not believe. I'm just very glad it's coming in WS. Although I CAN understand why some people want more features, esp. given the "SE" moniker attached. (But I think everyone here knows that that SE tag doesn't necessarily mean a great deal anymore.)

I'm doubting if Mr. Coleman would have spoken out about the lack of features had it not been for those words "Special Edition" staring at him.

I've always liked "The Bodyguard's" snowy, in-the-woods scenes with Ralph Waite. I thought he did a nice job as Costner's dad here. Anybody else concur? :)

P.S. (OT) -- Anybody know what happened to Warner's plans for ER--Season 3 on December 7th? No site has this up.

------------------

Nice cover and sharp menus, to boot. :emoji_thumbsup: ...........

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
OT: Does this drive anyone else batty (besides me)? .... That is: the "British" way of describing
certains things. ......

"Universal are releasing one of Billy Connolly's best stand up performances on DVD this November 22nd, namely Billy & Albert....."

Instead of "Universal is...", they use "are" -- as if "Universal" is more than just one studio, or a plural thing of some ilk. To me, this is flat wrong, and every UK site does this. Cannot abide it.

Anyway, just a small "is vs. are" rant.

And remember kids -- Christmas are coming next month. :)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think this SE is perfectly acceptable, I do agree with David C. that it would have been nice to see a docu on one of the bestselling soundtracks and the other music videos for the movie.

I've been holding out on this movie for a long time, I'm just glad that WB finally got back to it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yeah, let's load up some more videos and let Warner charge another $6-7 for this SE so the price is in line with their other Special Editions. Some people are too hungup about the words "Special Edition" it's usage today is more a marketing tool than anything else.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm just happy to get this in OAR. I think I have a disc of all of Whitney's videos somewhere anyway that I got for about $2 when UrbanFetch went under. :)

Actually, you can relax -- it's perfectly legitimate. A word that refers to a grouping of multiple people can be used with a singular or plural verb (for example, "the crowd is" or "the crowd are," etc.). (At least, according to the style guides that I've looked it up in! :) )

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator

Universal has many different divisions depending on where you are in the world,so technically,they could be classed as plural-as each region would be releasing it etc.

We also spell colour differently :D

Sam_Nas

Grip
I can't wait! FINALLY.

Ok, I read on "dvdtimes" that the dvd does not have an audio commentary, unlike what "dvdanswers" said. Who is right? Does someone have the official press release from Warner, where can I find it?

Anyways, there isn't too many extras, but hey at least the picture quality will good and in widescreen, and it will have some extras. The first dvd release back in 1997 was pathetic. They finally released a special edition. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Absolutely, and I've always thought this is the logical finale to the movie. If they would have clipped it here, and avoided the silly resolution at the academy awards, it would have been a far superior film.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
This is by far one of my favorite films from the early 90's. I have it on VHS, but have held off from buying the DVD for obvious reasons. I'll most definitely pick this up. I agree however that the film's soundtrack is the crowning jewel. It would've been nice to see all of the music videos, and perhaps a documentary on the production of the soundtrack, but I'm perfectly content with the "I Will Always Love You" music video. I can't wait to own this.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Wow... how did what I said get misinterpreted??? I never said anything about not getting the DVD. I fully intend to. I've been waiting for this one to be re-released since I got a DVD player back in '97. I specifically didn't buy that release hoping they'd revisit it! That's why I say this re-release is a little lite.

Would I like it to be a 2-disc special edition?? Yes!! I think if you can make PURPLE RAIN a 2- disc Special Edition you can make THE BODYGUARD one too!!

The fact remains that THE BODYGUARD is the biggest selling soundtrack of all time and the music certainly needs to be highlighted and all the Whitney videos(if not all the videos) deserve to be highlighted. Would also have been interesting to see some deleted scenes from the movie too!!!

Am I saying that for $19.99 this is bad bargain?? NO!! It's great that they are coming out with a SE for this film!! Could they have done a little more with this disc? Yes!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I know, but it sounds wrong, and dumb (IMO). And appears to be JUST a Brit thing only, from everything I've read.

"The crowd are going wild after the Red Sox victory!!!" --- Boy, would that sound stupid coming out of an announcer's mouth. :laugh:

"The New York Stock Exchange are dropping rapidly today..."

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, I'm sorry I asked for a little more in the way of extras. :frowning: I'm willing to pay a few more $$ for them. But to each their own as to what they will pay for a DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks